105 messages over 14 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 13 14 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4650 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 49 of 105
20 March 2012 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
I think there are rules as to when you use those adverbs (also, too, etc). Since you're Dutch - also never goes at the end of a sentence.

You do something, too. You work here too?

Also, you have to do the dishes tonight.

It's mostly a matter of just practicing, though...

Edited by tarvos on 20 March 2012 at 9:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

FELlX
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4713 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 50 of 105
21 March 2012 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
I think "also" is mostly used to indicate an addition:

"I've done the dishes. I've also cleaned up a bit the kitchen."

While "too" implies at least 2 elements involved (but I might be missing some other uses, that's everything that comes to my mind right now):

— I love you, dad.
— I love you too, honey.

or:

– My favourite number is 3.14159265.
— Oh! That's my favourite number too!

I hope you can see the difference.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 51 of 105
21 March 2012 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Love the pi (π) reference there !

I really like you are all so helpful.
1 person has voted this message useful

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 52 of 105
26 March 2012 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
so the last 2 weeks were riddled with studying, but not language study. (school...)

I did watch a fairly big amount of QI (English) and to a lesser extent le journal sur tv 5 monde and ZDF History.
My comprehension (expescially in French) is better every time, just listening helps!

Now, I had to learn some German words for school lately and also some words I had learned before but I'd forgotten them all! While words like der Bauer which I picked up during a German documentary stick.

Edited by ReQuest on 26 March 2012 at 8:34am

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 53 of 105
30 March 2012 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
I just want to share that from today onwards I'll be studying Castellano/Español.

I'll do it from a French base and will be aiming for a "acento de Madrid".

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 54 of 105
31 March 2012 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Heute habe ich Das Leben der anderen gesehen, das ist ist wirklich ein sehr geile Film! Die muss man gesehen haben.

Es redet über der DDR und ja, ich muss sagen ich so glücklich in ein freies Land zu leben, ich fande es so intrigierend, die Stasi die jeder beobacht, und wen der Mauer gevallen war waren die "starke" Stasi plotzlich nichts mehr.

Really watch this one!

Edited by ReQuest on 31 March 2012 at 7:01pm

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 55 of 105
07 April 2012 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
English:
I read The picture of Dorain Gray now, I don't really like it so much, I'm not really interested in reading pages and pages about how beautiful a certain man is... I know the writer was gay and all but ok there isn't much action in book a.k.a. not liking it.

I've also started to watch The Sopranos, and I love their accent, the vowels of New York English are so beautiful.

That brings me to my English accent, since I have finally chosen that I'll go for a American accent and more specifically a New England/New York sort of accent, it's going well but I now have to get stuff like broad A's out of the system, kinda annoying. But I do feel this is more natural, RP is cold and stiff and my teacher hating the American accent is also a boost to learn it :P.

She says think like: I would translate that to holiday, but vacation is also possible... (when she says vacation she puts on a face as if a dead corpse is laying in the room... and puts on the most ugly American accent i've ever heard.) Or: recognise or the more lazy American spelling recognize.

Oh and I guess I've never mentioned it but I'll be going to London this year with school, we'll go to: Windsor Castle, do a tour around the most famous sites of London, go to Tate Modern, The Bank of England, another city-walk and free time if there is time left.

français:
Alors j'ai découvert un site superbe (pour moi quand même...) http://pekinstream.fr/S01E03.php ici on peut voir toute les épisode de Pékin Express, autrefois quand le programme était en la télé neérlandaise je l'adorais, donc c'est genial de la voir maintenant mais en francais cette fois.

Deutsch: Nun, auch für Deutsch habe ich etwas gefunden was sehr Nutzlich scheint: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=23779&PN=1&TPN=1 und auch: http://www.lyricstraining.com/search?qry=rammstein

Die erste Link erklärt wie die Deutsche Fälle arbeiten und dieses Mahl habe ich echt das Gefühl es verstehen zu haben.
Die zweite Link, ich liebe Rammstein und hier kan man die "Lyrics"trainieren, das ist einfach geil.

Über den Austausch (exchange project with a German school), ich habe leider keinen Partner, in die Deutsche Schüle waren 13 Schüler weniger und sie waren vor allem Mädchens, also sie wollten lieber Mädchens mit Mädchens und ja also, keinen Partner für mich. Ich werde das nächstes Jahr ja nach Deutschland gehen also es ist mir egal das ich keinen Partner habe. Weil wen die Deutschen hier komen dan mussen wir Nederlandisch sprechen und das ist für mich nicht notwendig, Nierdelandisch sprechen.

castellano:
Entonces, castellano es muy fácil en realidad, con una base francesa se puede ver los conexiones, hay muchas palabras mismo(s?). He encontrado unas artistas que me gusta. Castellano es maravilloso.

Edited by ReQuest on 13 April 2012 at 7:47pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4952 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 56 of 105
11 April 2012 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
I've just catched up with your log and it is great. You are progressing really nicely.
Why did you choose Spanish, by the way?

And thanks for the link to the pékin express. I miss easy access to French series (even
though mostly fiction). Do you know of any other?

This discussion contains 105 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version