Joined 5152 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 18
30 January 2013 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Rout wrote:
Sometimes I surprise myself (and others) by how well I speak, sometimes I surprise myself by
how badly I speak.

Yes, that kind of variation in ability seems to be normal.

Rout wrote:
I am only less than a month into my plan and am seeing leaps and bounds in comprehension,
retention, and writing. I hope I can keep up the momentum.

That's excellent news; Bonne continuation!

Come and join us on the team thread for a fun Team Pax group activity.. See Kanewai's post
105.   If you prefer, you could post the song here on
your log, and put a note with a link on the PAX thread.

1 person has voted this message useful

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5655 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 18 of 18
04 February 2013 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Reading Hours: 025/365 hours
Writing Hours: 022/365 hours
Listening Hours: 031/365 hours
Grammatical Study Hours: 030/365 hours
Conversational Hours: 000/100 hours - suspended

Well, what I thought would happen happened. My reading went down and my writing went way down. On the other hand, I did finish a long paper I was writing, and I listened a lot. If I manage to remember, I really only look up one or two words (or none) from a couple of hours of audio (though I understand much less) and this has seemed to help my listening comprehension a lot more than looking up every single word I have questions about for a 10 minute chunk. I'm loving this extensive listening, but once I start to plateau, I might do some intensive listening. I wouldn't want to get stuck in a permanent start of just listening out for the "gist" of a news show.

I've also decided to change my approach. I'm not going to focus on those big numbers, I'm going to focus on getting in my 3 hours of study and 1 hour of listening a day, i.e., day-by-day. What I've noticed has been happening the past month, is I'll get in my 4 hours then go back and try to make-up hours at the expense of my school studies (probably because it's more enjoyable) then I have to (well, choose to) cram before tests or homework deadlines. I need to just concentrate on my agenda for the day because I can always make up those hours on holidays, vacation, or even next year if I choose to. =)

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version