Iwwersetzerin’s language learning log

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
117 messages over 15 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 14 15 Next >>
Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 117
24 May 2009 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
24th May 2009

So, I have decided to start a log to keep track of my chaotic language learning activities.
First, some background. I grew up trilingually in Luxembourg with Luxembourgish, French and German. I consider Luxembourgish my first native language and French my second. Since Luxembourgish is more of a spoken language, I like to say that Luxembourgish is my spoken native language and French my written native language. My German is on a near-native level and both my English and Spanish are on C2 level. I am a freelance translator and use all 5 languages daily.

Since I am self-employed, I do not have fixed working hours and it is almost impossible for me to make a strict language learning plan. I may have 10 hours of free time for language learning in one week and not a free minute the next, so I won’t set up any strict plan, just some short and long-time goals and track my progress here.

Dutch: I started learning Dutch this week. It shouldn't be too difficult for me, since it is a Germanic language related to Luxembourgish and German. I already have some passive knowledge of it, I can understand written texts partially, but still have trouble understanding speech.
Goals for 2009 and 2010:
- Online Dutch course on http://fr.ella.eu/. Work through all the grammar and up to level B2 of the Vocabulary part until the end of the year (subscription paid until 18th November 2009). So far, I have done part 1 and 2 of Vocabulary level A1 and started working on the grammar part (present tense verbs).
- Finish the whole Assimil book by the end of 2009. So far, I have done lessons 1-4.
- Pass the Certificaat Nederlands als Vreemde Taal at level B1 (Profiel Maatschappelijke Taalvaardigheid) in 2010.

Italian: I studied Italian on and off during the last few years. Since I already speak French and Spanish, it is quite an easy language for me.
Goals for 2009 and 2010:
- Reread the whole Assimil book until the end of 2009 (I already completed it about 2 years ago) to refresh my memory
- Work through the whole Assimil Perfectionnement
- Read “Novelle Italiane contemporanee” (bilingual French-Italian) and get more Italian books
- Watch Italian TV more regularly
- Buy and work through the book Come prepararsi all'esame del CELI 3
- Pass the Certificato di Conoscenza della Lingua Italiana, livello 3 (CELI 3, B2 level) in 2010

Esperanto: Studying on and off for the last few months.
Goals for 2009 and 2010:
- Complete the Assimil book by the end of 2009. So far, I have done lessons 1-33.
- Work through the courses on lernu.net
- Read some books in Esperanto

Russian - On hold for the moment. I studied Russian for approximately 3 years with interruptions. I passed the Moscow State University’s Test of Russian as a foreign language (preliminary level, A2) in 2005 and have really neglected Russian since then :-(
Long-term goals:
- Retake Russian at some not so distant point in the future and pass the TORFL (TRKI) level 1 (B1)

Next languages on my list: Portuguese and Catalan.

Edited by Iwwersetzerin on 24 May 2009 at 9:52pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

grwn
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5689 days ago

79 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*

Message 2 of 117
24 May 2009 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Good luck!

That's quite a few languages you'd like to take up. I've visited Luxembourg once, quite a nice way to practice German and French almost simultaneously. If you ever need help with Dutch or would like someone to talk to, feel free to contact me.

Gerwin
1 person has voted this message useful

zanoni
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 5686 days ago

262 posts - 262 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Latin, Russian, German

Message 3 of 117
25 May 2009 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
Hello

I really miss here, in Brazil, as we have few options to practice other languages (because of the great extension as a one-language speaker country), possibilities of watching TV in other languages, meeting people from other countries or even buying books in foreign languages besides English.

As you have these oportunities, do use them.

Kim

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1

Message 4 of 117
25 May 2009 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
grwn wrote:
Good luck!

That's quite a few languages you'd like to take up. I've visited Luxembourg once, quite a nice way to practice German and French almost simultaneously. If you ever need help with Dutch or would like someone to talk to, feel free to contact me.

Gerwin

Dank u wel, Gerwin!

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 5 of 117
25 May 2009 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
zanoni wrote:
Hello

I really miss here, in Brazil, as we have few options to practice other languages (because of the great extension as a one-language speaker country), possibilities of watching TV in other languages, meeting people from other countries or even buying books in foreign languages besides English.

As you have these oportunities, do use them.

Kim

Thank you Kim, I certainly will use these opportunities. It's true that Luxembourg is a perfect place to practice many different languages. In addition to the 3 official languages and English, you can hear people speak Portuguese, Italian and many other languages, mainly in Luxembourg City though.
I definitely intend to go to Belgium this summer to practice my Dutch a little bit, Brussels is just a 3-hour train ride.

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 6 of 117
31 May 2009 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Progress made this week:

Dutch: Assimil lesson 12
Online course ella.eu: Vocabulary level A1: 3 lessons / Grammar: part 1 (present tense)

Esperanto: Assimil lesson 36
Lernu.net: Introduction 100% - Courses 1% - Learning 2% - Biblioteko 2%

Not too bad I think. I am going to continue focusing on Dutch and Esperanto for the moment and start with Italian again a little later as my Esperanto gets stronger.

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 7 of 117
07 June 2009 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
This week's progress:

Dutch:
Assimil lesson 18
Online course ella.eu: Vocabulary level A1: 5 lessons / Grammar: 3 parts out of 42
Watched TV in Dutch for a total of about 1 hour and 30 minutes (Belgian news)

Esperanto:
Assimil lesson 40
Lernu.net: Introduction 100% - Courses 12% - Learning 3% - Biblioteko 2%

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 8 of 117
14 June 2009 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
This week I have had a lot of work, so not much time for language learning, I only did some Assimil lessons. I really enjoy the Dutch Assimil so far, but the Esperanto one starts to bore me a bit.

Dutch: Assimil lesson 23
Online course ella.eu: Vocabulary level A1: 5 lessons / Grammar: finished 3 parts out of 42
Watched TV in Dutch for a total of about 20 minutes

Esperanto: Assimil lesson 41
Lernu.net: Introduction 100% - Courses 12% - Learning 3% - Biblioteko 2%

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version