Iwwersetzerin’s language learning log

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
117 messages over 15 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 15 Next >>
Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 105 of 117
22 October 2013 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
I guess this post should be titled 'Confessions of a language exam addict'.

Last week, I took the Goethe Zertifikat C2 (Grosses Deutsches Sprachdiplom). While I don't really need it, I took it because, as a professional translator, I feel that any additional language qualification is an asset on my CV. With the Goethe GDS, I will have the most recognized C2 diplomas for all my 3 source languages (languages I translate from, into my two native languages), as I already have the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English and the DELE Superior from Instituto Cervantes for Spanish, so the German one was still missing in my 'collection'. Since I grew up with German and would consider myself near-native, it wasn't very difficult for me. I didn't do any preparation besides looking at a sample exam to see what it was like and reading one of the books for the essay part (Johannisnacht by Uwe Timm, not bad, but not my favorite book either). So I'm very confident that I passed and look forward to receiving the results!

This morning, I had an oral Russian exam! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm studying Russian by distance learning through Dalarna University in Sweden. I already dropped Portuguese for various reasons: I didn't like the course and the teacher as much as the Russian one, the schedule didn't suit me very well and I was accepted into a masters degree in international and European law, so I had to drop something, as it would be impossible to do a masters degree + 2 languages + work (not sure I'll manage masters degree + 1 language + work, but I'll give it a shot). So Russian won over Portuguese and I'm really happy with my Russian course. I chose to do a beginners course although I already did some Russian in the past and even have the A2 diploma from the Moscow State University, but that was 8 years ago, so I really needed a refresher. Luckily, I haven't forgotten everything though, so for now I'm doing well in my course. The oral exam went great and I'm confident for the written exam next week.

Next month, I'll finally have the chance to sit the CELI C1 Italian exam I've been wanting to take since last year, but never could because I was either traveling or ill on the exam dates. This one I'm not confident about at all, because I feel there is quite a huge difference between B2 and C1. While my Italian is definitely getting better (I'm reading a lot and watch Italian TV regularly), I'm not sure I'm quite at C1 level yet, especially spoken. I still have almost 4 weeks to prepare, so I'll work on Italian as much as I can. Wish me luck!
1 person has voted this message useful

Oheao
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4008 days ago

31 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Mandarin, Greek

Message 106 of 117
23 October 2013 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
I just found out your language log, and have read though it entirely! Great job so far! I
hope that you'll do well on your exam. I always wondered how many Luxembourgish people
could actually write their language, instead of just using French or German. I hope that
in the future I'll be able to take exams for the languages I`m learning. I don`t think
I`ll be C2 level in 5 languages like you, but I'll try to get as good as I can in my
languages!

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1

Message 107 of 117
23 October 2013 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Oheao wrote:
I just found out your language log, and have read though it entirely! Great job so far! I
hope that you'll do well on your exam. I always wondered how many Luxembourgish people
could actually write their language, instead of just using French or German. I hope that
in the future I'll be able to take exams for the languages I`m learning. I don`t think
I`ll be C2 level in 5 languages like you, but I'll try to get as good as I can in my
languages!

Thank you for the kind comment!
Most Luxembourgers do write Luxembourgish (mostly for informal communication such as emails to friends), but many do not spell it correctly for various reasons: they never learned it in school, they just don't bother because they don't need it or they learned the old spelling in school and just keep using it although the official spelling has changed.
Good luck with your languages!

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 108 of 117
15 November 2013 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Today was the European Day of Multilingual Blogging, an initiative that encourages bloggers to write a post in a language that they don’t normally use on their blog in order to highlight the multilingual dimension of the web. I participated with a blog post titled The languages in my life where I wrote something about each of the 10 languages you see on my profile, in the respective language. Not an easy task for the languages I'm just starting out in, but it was a fun exercise.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6543 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 109 of 117
17 November 2013 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
OK, I'll write a post in Danish then...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 110 of 117
27 November 2013 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
Update on my language exams:

German: as expected I passed the Goethe-Zertifikat C2 and already received my diploma!

Russian: the written exam went rather well too and I passed both the oral and written part of the exam for part 1 of the beginners' course. Part 2 of the course is already almost over and the next exams will be in January.

Italian: the CELI 4 exam was not the disaster I had feared it would be. I think I did quite ok in the written and grammar parts. The listening part had one very hard section (luckily only one out of three), an interview over the phone with such a terrible sound quality that I didn't understand even half of what was said! The oral exam went not too bad (one examiner later told me that I had slipped into Spanish only once, which is already a small victory for me!), but I fear that I may have made too many stupid grammar mistakes. I really don't know what the overall result will be, my guess is that I have a 50/50 shot at either barely passing or barely failing. Can't wait for the result!

Indonesian: remember the Indonesian distance-learning course I took last year? I finally received my certificate, almost a year after the end of the course. Better late then never! The course wasn't so great, but at least the certificate is pretty ;-)

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 5029 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 111 of 117
27 November 2013 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
I just discovered your multilingual blog post. Very nice work! I feel proud to be able to read (more or less) 8.5 of your 10 languages. European languages are the best!

Congratulations on your latest exams and certificates.

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 112 of 117
27 November 2013 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
chokofingrz wrote:
I just discovered your multilingual blog post. Very nice work! I feel proud to be able to read (more or less) 8.5 of your 10 languages. European languages are the best!

Congratulations on your latest exams and certificates.

Thank you! I guess the .5 you understood was Luxembourgish, right?

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version