Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5175 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 33 of 117
31 May 2010 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Al goed, Fasulye. Ik snap de verwarring wel aangezien ik die zelf andersom heb meegemaakt toen ik Duits op school leerde. Dat vind ik op het moment zo geweldig aan Frans; altijd als ik normaal misschien zou twijfelen tussen de equivalenten van "maken" en "doen" gebruik ik gewoon lekker "faire".
1 person has voted this message useful

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 34 of 117
31 May 2010 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Now I have also read your CV at Fasulye's recommandation on your professional homepage, andof course in the Letzebuergesch version (question: isn't there a native Letzebuergesch word for "Fortbildung"?). It certainly is impressive in itself, but on top of that I also find Letzebuergesch quite interesting as a language. If you compare it with High German it is strange that German 'a' (as in "Spanisch") becomes 'ü' ("Spuenesch"), whereas 'ü' has its parallel in 'i' (as in "iwwersetzering"). And 'o' in Gerichtshof becomes 'a' (Geriichtshaf), while 'ö' pops up as 'éi' in "Franséisch". All the vowels are flying around one's head and settling in unexpected places.

I really can't think of a native Luxembourgish word for "Fortbildung". Luxembourgish uses a ton of loanwords from German and French when there isn't a native word, which happens very frequently, especially for words that are not of everyday use. This is certainly due to the fact that Luxembourgish is still essentially a spoken language. The more technical the vocabulary becomes, the less native Luxembourgish words there are. I work as a freelance translator and some texts can be a real challenge to translate into Luxembourgish because of that.
The funny thing about Luxembourgish is that it has only had an official spelling since 1976 (reformed in 1999) and most Luxembourgers don't even know how to correctly spell their mother tongue as they hardly ever need to write it.
The vowels are fun indeed, you can find some patterns when you compare German to Luxembourgish, but a lot of exceptions too.

In case you want to learn more about Luxembourgish, here are some free online courses to get you started:
bonjour.lu
Quattropole
letzlearn.org
And a German-Luxembourgish online dictionary:
luxdico.de

Edited by Iwwersetzerin on 31 May 2010 at 3:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1

Message 35 of 117
14 June 2010 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Progress made this week:
Assimil Italian lesson 101 (only 4 lessons left, I'll finish it this week)
Italian phrasebook page 140
Since my Italian exam is in just one week, I went through the entire book Come prepararsi all'esame del CELI 2 (preparation book for the CELI 2 Italian exam at level B1). I'm doing fine as far as vocabulary and comprehension are concerned. The writing tasks don't look too difficult and the oral comprehension tasks should not be a problem either. I need to work a bit on my grammar though, especially pronouns and verbs.
As for the oral exam, I have to say, I hate oral exams. I have no problem speaking about an interesting subject, but oral language exams tend to ask you the most boring questions possible and I'm just not good at coming up with intelligent answers to boring questions.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5187 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 36 of 117
14 June 2010 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Nice language log!
As this is the last week before your CELI exam, feel free to ask any Italian-related question. I will be more than happy to help you.

Ciao! Visto che manca solo una settimana al tuo esame CELI, non esitare a chiedere se hai qualche domanda o dubbio dell’ultimo minuto per quanto riguarda l’italiano. Sarò felice di aiutarti per quanto posso! Ad ogni modo, devo ammettere che ho l’impressione che tu sia ben preparata per l’esame (e consapevole di esserlo).
Tienici aggiornati su come va e, soprattutto, in bocca al lupo!

staf250
Pentaglot
Belgium
emmerick.be
Joined 5537 days ago

352 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, Italian, English, German
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 37 of 117
14 June 2010 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Ik duim voor jou! In bocca al lupo!

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 38 of 117
14 June 2010 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Grazie a tutti i due!

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5687 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 117
15 June 2010 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
I wish you good luck for your Italian language exam!!!

I wanted to do more language exams (I have done six of them successfully), but I ran out of money as exam fees are expensive. My father had to pay the exam fee of my last language exam in 2006. Instead I decided to learn to new languages, so now I would not have the time any more to prepare any language exams.

I myself found exam-oriented language learning very effective.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 15 June 2010 at 11:14am

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 40 of 117
15 June 2010 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
Thank you, Fasulye!
I agree that the exam fees are quite expensive unfortunately.
I have done 4 official language exams so far, level A1 and A2 for Russian (because the school where I took evening classes offered the exams as well), C2 for Spanish and C2 for English. I work as a freelance translator with Spanish and English as source languages, so having C2 in both of them is a nice additional qualification on my CV. I'm even considering sitting a German C2 exam too so I have C2 in all 3 foreign languages I work with. Maybe later in the year.
I agree that exam-oriented learning is very effective. It really helps to keep the motivation up if you have a concrete goal with a fixed deadline to work towards.

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version