Iwwersetzerin’s language learning log

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
117 messages over 15 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 14 15 Next >>
Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 49 of 117
25 July 2010 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Progress made this week in Italian:

- Assimil perfectionnement: lesson 11
- Book Partire: page 31 (I'm really enjoying it so far and I understand almost everything, not every word of course, but I pretty much get the meaning of every sentence)
1 person has voted this message useful

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1

Message 50 of 117
02 August 2010 at 10:11am | IP Logged 

- Assimil perfectionnement: lesson 16
- Book Partire: page 54
- Italian phrasebook: page 160

Progess made in Dutch:

Because I stopped studying Dutch for a few months in order to focus on Italian, I'm going to reread what I have done in Assimil so far. I had made it up to lesson 66 and I'm going to go through everything once again to make sure it is fresh in my mind before I continue on with it.

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 51 of 117
09 August 2010 at 9:39am | IP Logged 

- Assimil perfectionnement: lesson 20
- Book Partire: page 84

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 52 of 117
16 August 2010 at 10:28am | IP Logged 

- Assimil perfectionnement: lesson 24
- Book Partire: page 116

I'll be in Italy on a mini-trip next week-end, so there's another chance to speak Italian and buy some more books.

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 53 of 117
29 August 2010 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Progress made in Italian the last two weeks:

- Assimil perfectionnement: lesson 27
- Book Partire: finished (that's the first book I read in Italian, I would say that I understood about 80% of it and thoroughly enjoyed it)
- Phrasebook: page 180

I spent the last weekend in Rimini and San Marino (which I absolutely loved), so I practiced my Italian as much as possible with hotel receptionists, waiters, shopkeepers, bus drivers, etc. I know that I still make mistakes, but I feel quite confident speaking Italian now, I understand what is said to me and people understand me in return (and they keep speaking in Italian without switching to English, which I consider quite positive). I also bought 3 books in Italian and I think that I will concentrate more on reading in Italian during the next months. I'm a bookworm anyway!

I absolutely need to get started with Dutch again, as I will spend some time in the Netherlands between October and December and want to arrive prepared.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5187 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 54 of 117
30 August 2010 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Iwwersetzerin wrote:
[...] I spent the last weekend in Rimini and San Marino (which I absolutely loved), so I practiced my Italian as much as possible with hotel receptionists, waiters, shopkeepers, bus drivers, etc. I know that I still make mistakes, but I feel quite confident speaking Italian now, I understand what is said to me and people understand me in return (and they keep speaking in Italian without switching to English, which I consider quite positive). [...]

Nice to hear you are progressing fast with Italian and I’m sure your level is quite good. But I just wanted to point out that, unfortunately, the general knowledge of English is so poor in my country (apart from people employed in the tourism sector and few other exceptions), that one shouldn’t be surprised if Italians prefer to let the ‘foreigner’ struggle with the little Italian he/she knows (not your case, obviously) rather than try and string together a couple of words in English themselves. This makes them seem quite welcoming and patient with language learners compared to other nationalities (at least according to stereotypes), but the truth is that actually they have no other option, I’m afraid!

Anyway, are you still aiming for the B2 exam in November? How’s the preparation for that going? Keep up the good work and in bocca al lupo!

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5509 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 55 of 117
16 September 2010 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for the lack of update lately, I've been a bit ill and it seems that when I'm on antibiotics and painkillers my brain just doesn't function for language learning, so hardly any progress in Italian. Fortunately I'm better now and ready to attack again.

The good news is: the exam results are in and as you can guess from the nice B1 next to the word Italian on my profile, I have passed the Certificato di Conoscenza della Lingua Italiana livello 2! I'm really happy with the result. Here are my scores:
Prova di comprensione della lettura: 32/40
Prova di produzione di testi scritti 26/40
Prova di comprensione dell'ascolto 34/40
Prova orale (32/40)
Overall result is B (buono)

To answer Emme's question above (sorry it took me so long to answer), yes, I do plan to sit the B2 in November. I have a preparation book with past exams that I am going to go through and I have to work on my grammar as well. Since I scored the lowest result in the writing part, I am going to work on that and practice writing on some typical exam subjects. I'm also going to read more in Italian, I have a pile of books and some magazines waiting for me.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5687 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 56 of 117
16 September 2010 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Hi Iwwersetzerin!

My congratulation for you with your exam results! That's well done and it's precisely the level of exam I would like to do one time in the future... So now you have decent basis of knowledge to prepare the next step exam (= B2). Nice to hear that you had the chance to speak your target language in Italy itself. I myself have never had this opportunity.

All the best for your next step on your learning programm to reach a high level of Italian!

Fasulye

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version