Iwwersetzerin’s language learning log

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
117 messages over 15 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 14 15 Next >>
Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 65 of 117
22 November 2010 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Grazie Emme! E andato abbastanza bene.

So, I survived my Italian exam ;-)
Last week, I concentrated on exam preparation, I went through the whole book Come prepararsi all esame del Celi 3 and I studied as much grammar as I could.
I finished reading the book Partire et non viaggiare and I have started to read Novelle Italiane contemporanee, a bilingual book in Italian and French.

The exam went rather well, I'm quite happy with myself. The reading/writing part and the grammar part went well, I'm pretty sure that I passed those. The listening part was a bit strange. It was divided into 3 parts, part 1 was very difficult, because the speaker had a very heavy regional accent and was very hard to understand for me, part 2 seemed almost too easy in comparison and part 3 was somewhere in between. So, mixed feelings there.
All in all, I think that I have a good chance of having passed the written part, but I am really not sure about the oral exam. I am sure I made a ton of grammar mistakes and there may have been a couple of Spanish words in there, but at least I kept talking and didn't venture too far off topic, but I'm not quite convinced by my performance.
My guess is that I probably pass the written part and I may or may not pass the oral exam.

So, what's next? If I fail the exam, I am going to repeat it at the next session. If I pass, I am not going to aim for C1 for now, maybe in a year or two. I'll continue to study Italian, I'm going to slowly finish the Assimil Perfectionnement and I'll try to regularly read books in Italian.

For the next couple of weeks, I am going to concentrate heavily on Dutch, as I'll spend some time in the Netherlands until Christmas.

1 person has voted this message useful

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1

Message 66 of 117
16 December 2010 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Seems like an update is overdue!
I'm in the Netherlands right now until Christmas, so I'm concentrating solely on Dutch. I bought the Teach Yourself Dutch book and am currently working through it, I'm on page 70. I had never used Teach Yourself before and I quite like it. It's more basic than the Assimil course so far but the basics are explained quite well, so I'm going to go through the entire Teach Yourself book before switching to Assimil again.
I've had the chance to practice my spoken Dutch with mixed results. I get by in shops and restaurants and buying train tickets and such, but I still have a lot of trouble understanding people.
I watch a lot of Dutch TV right now to improve my listening comprehension. One thing that is great about Dutch TV is that there are a lot of series and movies in English with Dutch subtitles. I understand these pretty well.
I'm up for another week of heavy Dutch studying.

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 67 of 117
14 January 2011 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
Time is flying, it's a month already since I updated this log and 2011 is well underway.

In retrospect, 2010 was a pretty good year for language learning although I didn't manage to do as much as I would have liked. I made some nice progress with Italian, practiced it in Italy, passed the CELI 2 exam (B1 level) and sat the CELI 3 (still waiting for results). My Dutch has definitely gotten better too thanks to a few weeks spend in the Netherlands, but there is still a lot of work to do.

Goals for 2011:
- Dutch: work through Teach Yourself (currently about halfway through on p. 135), Assimil and Assimil Perfectionnement, watch more Dutch TV to improve listening comprehension and read books in Dutch, overall get to a solid B2 level by the end of the year and take a Dutch language exam if possible
- Italian: finish Assimil perfectionnement (currently on lesson 50) and read, read, read in Italian, maintain a solid B2 level or higher
- Portuguese: learn the basics
- Indonesian: learn the basics

I've also been wanting to take up Russian again before I completely forget everything I know, but I prefer to keep focusing on Dutch and Italian right now, so I might delay Russian again until 2012.
It looks like 2011 will have some interesting things in store for me. Let's see what I can make of it!

Edited by Iwwersetzerin on 31 January 2011 at 10:23am

Oasis88
Australia
Joined 5647 days ago

160 posts - 187 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 68 of 117
15 January 2011 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
Hi Iwwersetzerin.

I've been searching for information about the CELI Exam and came across your log. In 2009
you wrote that you were aiming to take this test; have you done so? I'd be very
interested to know about your experiences with this and I am planning to take the test
soon in the future.

*EDIT* Okay, I've just come across a few of your older posts so I'm going through those.

Edited by Oasis88 on 15 January 2011 at 1:37pm

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 69 of 117
31 January 2011 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
@Oasis88: Did you find the information you were looking for? If you have any specific question about the exam, feel free to ask!
I'm still waiting for the result of the exam I took in November, I'm getting impatient to know whether I passed!

Update on my progress:
Dutch: I've been rereading the Assimil lessons I went through last year and continued with Teach Yourself (currently on p. 162)

Italian: I've been reading a bit of Novelle Italiane Contemporanee (currently on p. 56)

Edited by Iwwersetzerin on 31 January 2011 at 10:29am

Oasis88
Australia
Joined 5647 days ago

160 posts - 187 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 70 of 117
03 February 2011 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Yes thank you. I went through some of your older posts and did some other research. I
think I'd like to take this test at some stage - it's just a matter of how I can get
myself to Italy!

I'm sure you did really well.

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 71 of 117
08 February 2011 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
I just found out that I passed the CELI3 Italian exam (level B2)!
I don't have the detailed results with the marks obtained in each part yet, only the overall result appears on the website. I passed with a grade B (buono) which is pretty good. I'm curious to find out the detailed marks though, especially for the oral exam.

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 72 of 117
09 February 2011 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Just got the detailed results of the CELI 3 and I'm pretty impressed with myself right now, it looks like I underestimated my performance considerably:

Prova di comprensione della lettura: 40/40 !!!
Prova di produzione di testi scritti: 37/40 (now that's a lot better than for the CELI 2!)
Prova di competenza linguistica: 18/20
Prova di comprensione dell'ascolto: 27/40
Prova orale: 45/60

That's a great motivation boost and I'm thinking about attempting the CELI 4 (C1 level) in November this year, although it seems that there is quite a difference between B2 and C1.

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version