Welcome back!
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5102 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 122 of 124
24 May 2014 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
I'll second what kuji said. It's good to see you back! I enjoy reading your posts.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6219 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 123 of 124
25 May 2014 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
I spent the past couple of days reading your log. It's really interesting and inspirational!

Edited by newyorkeric on 25 May 2014 at 4:00pm

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6812 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 124 of 124
27 May 2014 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the warm welcome back! It’s great to be back on HTLAL. Reading through all
of these language logs and seeing how many people have been making great strides in
their learning has been tremendously inspiring for me as I struggle to stay motivated
while slogging through Cantonese.

Truth be told, I haven’t made a lot of progress in the language in the past six months.
I think my biggest challenge right now is that I’ve been sucked into a bit of an
English speaking bubble since starting at my new job. Almost all of my coworkers are
ex-pats, so I spend a lot of time using English at work. And I haven’t had any time to
meet with my language partner, so I haven’t had lots of extended exposure to the
language. Ironically, I think I’ll get plenty more practice in a few weeks when I go
back to the US, since I’ll have more people to speak Cantonese with there than here in
Hong Kong.   In the meanwhile, I’ll try to seek out more opportunities to listen to and
use the language, including learning more vocabulary, studying more grammar patterns,
and watching more television.

In other news, I just noticed, albeit belatedly, that Assimil posted an interview
regarding Assimil Khmer on their blog at http://blog.assimil.com/entretien-audio-avec-
helene-nut-khmer. It looks like it'll finally be released in August,
assuming no more delays. I believe that Assimil Cantonais will be released soon as
well, and even though I believe it might be a bit basic for me at this point, I am
still very tempted to work through the book, given how much I love Assimil.

Edited by mike245 on 27 May 2014 at 5:53pm

This discussion contains 124 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version