Hong Kong
Joined 6821 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 33 of 124
12 March 2013 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
CANTONESE

I just finished Unit 9 of Elementary Cantonese this morning, and have just started
reviewing the dialogues in Unit 10. This lesson deals with positive/negative
questions, which I’m already pretty comfortable with, but I figure it’ll be good
practice nonetheless with drills and character recognition. At this rate, I should be
done with the first volume of the set by the end of the week!

There was a big sale at the Commercial Press bookstore at Causeway Bay, so I stopped
by and picked up three more Greenwood Press books at a nice discount: Living Cantonese
for Intermediate Learners, Fun with Cantonese: Basic Patterns, and Wedding Bells.

I think next week, I’ll do a quick skim through the Basic Patterns book, spending maybe
just a day or two, so that I can beef up my vocabulary for the purposes of improving my
listening comprehension. While I appreciate the clarity and thoroughness of Sidney
Lau's books, they take a very FSI-like approach of focusing on grammar and speaking
fundamentals, but without much vocabulary at all. I know that grammar is absolutely
necessary, but I will also need to greatly improve my passive vocabulary if I want to
be able to understand the news and television shows better. Especially since I've been
watching a lot of Cantonese television every day, it’s a good idea to quickly cram a
lot of new vocabulary now, and then continue to move through the Sidney Lau drills at a
more comfortable pace to burn the patterns in.

The past two days have been pretty rough for me speaking-wise. Although I am usually
pretty decent with tones and don’t have much trouble pronouncing them in isolation or
in simple constructions, my pronunciation tells to fall apart when I’m tired or trying
to push my language beyond my comfort zone. Lately, I've been using a lot of
expressions that I've heard zillions of times before, but have never actually had
occasion to use myself. So even though the proper pronunciation is right at the tip of
my tongue, my mouth simply refuses to pronounce the words correct. I think this is
just going to be something I have to push past, but it is certainly frustrating!

My Cantonese deck for Anki is now up to 334 words. Hopefully, I can get to at least
500 total new vocabulary words by the end of the month, when we leave for our trip to
Paris.

FRENCH

I’m now up to Lesson 64 of NFWE, and should be on track to finish my review before our
trip. I’m still noting a few words or grammatical constructions here and there that I
missed the first time, such as “beaux-parents” for parents-in-law or "du vendredi au
dimanche” for “from Friday until Sunday.”

I've also been diligently listening to RFI journal en francais facile. It’s funny how
sometimes, an episode seems super fast, but then I listen to it again and it seems slow
and super clear. The only complaint I have with the easy French news is that it tends
to revolve around the same topics – lately, the passing of Hugo Chavez and the Kenyan
elections. That means that it tends to cover the same vocabulary and subject areas
over and over again, which is great for reinforcement but not so much for vocabulary
expansion.

In an effort to broaden my French listening, I downloaded and listened to a few
episodes of “Comment vont les affaires,” RFI’s program for intermediate business
French. It is AWFUL. The program revolves around a young English-speaking woman,
Danielle, who takes an internship in Paris to learn French and French business ways.
Not only is her French absolutely abominable both in grammar and accent, but more than
half of each lesson consists of her explaining what is going on - in English! The
actual French dialogs (some of which are interspersed with Danielle’s terrible French
or her annoyingly patronizing commentaries or musings about French business etiquette)
only last a minute or less. I am considering editing down the MP3s with Audacity to
make the lessons more usable, but I am more inclined to just delete them from my
computer. Sadly, I cannot recommend this program at all.

OTHER LANGUAGES

Yesterday, I read two articles from La Jornada online, and today, I read an article
from El País. I’ve been trying to spread out the topics to increase my vocabulary
exposure, so this included an article on the Vatican’s upcoming conclave and two
articles about various assassinations in Mexico. I've added three new words to Anki.

I also listened to two episodes of Café Brasil and two Schlaflos podcasts. The Café
Brasil podcasts clock in at about half an hour each, which is pretty time-consuming,
but I've been using them mostly as background music during my morning routine. The
Schlaflos podcasts are much shorter, and I've been listening to them mostly at the gym.

Edited by mike245 on 14 March 2013 at 8:04am

1 person has voted this message useful

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6821 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 

Message 34 of 124
14 March 2013 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
CANTONESE

I’m halfway through the Lesson 10 drills in Elementary Cantonese, and should be able to
finish the chapter today or tomorrow. Part of me is impatiently looking forward to
quickly learning as many new sentence patterns as I can, while the other part of me
just wants to pound through Elementary/Intermediate Cantonese so that I can get a good
thorough overview of the grammar and basic structure of the language. Aside from a few
Pimsleur courses and Assimil NFWE, I've not seen many language courses through to
“completion” so I think there will be a sense of accomplishment when I get through
these four hefty volumes. Of course, there are actually six volumes of the Sidney Lau
course, but my understanding is that the last two are basically vocabulary-intensive
readers that aren't that useful at my current stage of learning.

I've been reading up a lot on language learning, and have seen a lot written about two
opposing language learning approaches: the all-X language-all the time/”listen to as
much as you can before you speak” method versus the comprehensible input method. I
must say that at least in my experience, the second approach is so much more efficient
and useful.

My relationship with Cantonese bears this out.   I've listened to Cantonese for a
substantial chunk of my life. Growing up, I watched thousands of hours of Hong Kong
television shows and movies. I sometimes heard my parents speak Cantonese with
relatives or outside the house. In college, I had roommates and friends from Hong Kong
and Singapore, and would often hear them speaking on the phone, listening to music or
otherwise using Cantonese. For the past 8 years, I’ve heard my partner and members of
his family speak Cantonese for hours on end. Many of my friends are originally from
Hong Kong, and on many occasions, I've been the only person in a group of bilingual
speakers who effortlessly code-switch between Cantonese and English. And of course
now, I'm living in Hong Kong.

According to the most extreme iteration of the “listen before you speak” method, I
should at some point have magically absorbed the language and at this point, should be
able to listen with perfect comprehension. After all, I imagine I must have at least
10,000 hours of passive listening exposure, mostly on familiar topics and all at real-
life conversational speed. But the sad truth is that my Cantonese language skills –
including my listening comprehension – are pretty poor. Sure, I know a lot of words
but mostly for commonplace nouns, such as food items, where it's pretty easy to guess
what a word refers to. And I know a number of basic conjunctions/adjectives/etc., but
these are mostly words that I learned in taking a year of conversational Cantonese
classes in college.

When I listen to real-life conversations or watch television, some of it is
comprehensible but most of it is unintelligible because I simply don’t know the words.
And I don’t think any additional listening without active study is going to change
that. For instance, phrases such as “all the time,” “since you’re doing that anyway,”
or “be that as it may” are never going to be comprehensible unless I actually look up
what those words in Chinese mean, or ask for an explanation -- the concepts are
otherwise too abstract to connect the dots, and Chinese is different enough from any of
the other languages I've studied for me to guess.

I don’t think it’s because I’m an inept language learner, either. I've studied enough
languages and made enough progress with languages that I have confidence that I can
learn a language to a reasonable degree of proficiency and communicative ease (I fear
to use the word “fluent”!). But input needs to be comprehensible before I can make the
most of it. I think that’s why I like Assimil so much. You spend a lot of time
listening to interesting, dense dialogues chock-full of vocabulary, idiomatic
expressions and challenging grammar, but there are translations to help make sure you
understand what you’re listening to. You may not have to glance at the English more
than once or twice before immersing yourself in the recordings, but at least, it’s
enough for you to get started. Now, too bad there isn't an Assimil course for
Cantonese.

During the past two weeks of studying Cantonese, I notice that pushing myself to study
vocabulary and ask for meanings of words is starting to pay off. Even with just 300+
new words in my vocabulary arsenal, I’m starting to understand television better. I
still have a long way to go, but it's real progress. And it’s nice to know that just
because I didn't magically and effortlessly pick up Cantonese through years of passive
exposure, that doesn't mean the language is a lost cause for me. Rather, I just need
to change my approach!

FRENCH

I’m now up to Assimil NFWE lesson 75. The lessons are definitely picking up, and it’s
not so easy anymore for me to jump in cold and back-translate from English to French,
although though I can still easily understand the French recordings, i.e., my passive
comprehension is still okay. I think I might have to slow down the pace, so that I can
really focus on bringing my active skills to speed. I am continuing to listen to RFI’s
journal en francais facile.

OTHER LANGUAGES

I listened to one lengthy Schlaflos episodes (about 1.5 hours), in which Annik
interviewed various immigrants to Germany and emigrants originally from Germany, about
their jobs, their life stories, and their languages. I am also continuing to add new
vocabulary from Basic German Vocabulary into Anki, and am now up to page 320 of 395.
I’ve added 1098 words to Anki, which is a mix of words I just didn't know and words
that I already knew but was shaky on with regards to gender/conjugation/etc.   By the
end of exercise, I hope to be able to say with confidence that my German vocabulary is
4,000+ words!

At some point, I plan to do the same vocabulary building exercise with Spanish and
French using the Barron’s Mastering X Vocabulary series, each which contains about
5,000-6,000 words. I'd also like to repeat it with Cantonese using Susanna Ng’s
Interesting Cantonese 1 & 2 volumes, which together contain about 4,500 words. I think
my Spanish vocabulary is already pretty good, but I have a LOT of holes in my French
and Cantonese vocabularies, so I think this will be a pretty painful process.

I’ve also read two more news articles in Spanish and listened to two more episodes of
La crónica cultural. Its fun and I definitely want to improve my Spanish and study it
more. But in the meanwhile, I need to remember not to let wanderlust get the better of
me. I need to take advantage of living in Hong Kong to immerse myself in Chinese!

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6431 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 35 of 124
14 March 2013 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
Very few people would claim that you can pick up a language though just passive listening, and I've never seen anyone make that claim here. There are some people who claim you can get some benefits from listening even if you don't understand, but I don't think anyone would claim it's enough. Personally, I don't think it helps much at all. I agree that you need comprehensible input.

Oh, and "all-X language-all the time" is certainly NOT a listen-only method, at least if you're referring to the popular blog "All Japanese All the Time". It's very much about vocabulary study, though it's focussed on comprehension and not production.

Keep pushing with Cantonese1 It's such a wonderful language.

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6821 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 

Message 36 of 124
14 March 2013 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the reply. My comments in the last post were borne largely out of
frustration and the feeling that the last two weeks here in Hong Kong, which have been
a combination of semi-immersion and intense active study, have been as effective as
literally thousands of hours of listening. Of course, that's not actually true. I
recognize that I've made a lot of progress in the past two weeks, but that a large part
of it is probably because I have so much listening practice. For instance, I don't
have trouble following native-speed conversations where I know all the words, which I
don't think would be the case if I started studying Cantonese from scratch. But I
sometimes wonder how much more farther I'd be in my language goals if I had just been a
bit more active in my efforts!

With respect to the language methods, I was thinking a bit about the All Japanese All
the Time website, but more particularly, one related blog where a guy claimed that
after listening to hundreds and hundreds of hours of French over the course of 8+
months and pretty much nothing else, he found himself with amazing listening
comprehension, including being able to watch Lost and other television shows in French
with pretty much complete comprehension. A pretty extreme example, but his approach
definitely made it sound like it was certainly doable. Maybe for other people, in
different (and rare) circumstances, but that certainly didn't work for me.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5808 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 37 of 124
14 March 2013 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
mike245 wrote:
With respect to the language methods, I was thinking a bit about the All Japanese All the Time website,

Khatz does have production in his approach though in the beginning it's weighted extremely heavily on input.

Edited by Snowflake on 14 March 2013 at 5:12pm

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6821 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 

Message 38 of 124
15 March 2013 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
CANTONESE

I’m happy to announce that I finally finished the first volume of Elementary Cantonese,
all 418 pages of it! It was at times very dry and boring, and getting through it took
me several months of off-and-on studying, but I finally made it through all the
vocabulary, extensive drills, reading exercises and detailed grammar explanations.
Now, I have three more dense volumes to get through. I think, however, that the pace
will pick up in Intermediate Cantonese, especially as I get into new grammatical
territory and more complex sentence patterns, so it won’t feel so tedious. All in all,
however, the Sidney Lau series has been extremely thorough and very helpful. I feel
like I've gotten a very good understanding of the basics that I've covered so far, and
that if I make it through all six volumes, I should have a great grasp of the language.

Notwithstanding the complaints in my prior posts, the past two days have been great
speaking-wise. Just a few days ago, I felt like I was tripping over every word, and
even the simple sentences were coming out of my mouth with mangled pronunciation or
incorrect tones. But these past two days, I've felt fairly fluid in my speech, aside
from the occasional lack of vocabulary. I think I’m slowly converting more words from
my passive vocabulary to my active vocabulary, and also getting better at talking
around words that I don’t know. I've been chatting with my partner’s mother about
everything from restaurant reservations and watch repair to the school system here in
Hong Kong and the recent incident of the 6,000+ dead pigs in Shanghai. It’s still
tough, but these moments of fluidity make me feel like fluency may someday be within
reach!

One tough point for me, though, is that I am currently suffering a bit of a “Leetha”
frustration. That is, I can hear that my accent isn't that great, but I can’t seem to
improve it. Overall, I don’t think my accent is that bad, but it definitely sounds at
best like an ABC (American born Chinese). Even when the basic sounds and tones are
correct, there is still something about the subtleties of pronunciation, pitch and
rhythm that just don't sound local or native. There are enough overseas Chinese people
here in Hong Kong who have imperfect Chinese (including several TVB celebrities) that
my accent doesn't keep the locals from speaking to me in Cantonese, but I am still
frustrated by it. I’d love to think that as I become better at speaking, this problem
will resolve itself, but I’m not so sure about that. After all, I know plenty of
people who speak fluent, grammatically flawless English but whose accents are still
noticeable very foreign. I wonder, is accent something that fossilizes early on or can
I shelve this for now and come back to it later? Or should I just figure that good
enough is good enough?

OTHER LANGUAGES

Not much to report, other than that I've been keeping up with French studying and
listening to podcasts in Spanish and German (Portuguese is on the backburner at the
moment). I am now up to Lesson 85 of Assimil NFWE. With just two weeks before our
trip, I definitely plan to intensify my studying. We have two friends in Paris who
only speak French and Cantonese (no English). So usually, my partner speaks to them in
Cantonese and I speak to them in French. It’s a fun exercise, but it’s a lot more
demanding than the superficial conversations in French that I usually have with waiters
and shopkeepers. Last time, for instance, I explained to our friends the structure of
American law firms and their profitability, which definitely pushed my vocabulary and
gave me a bit of a headache. I still feel like it's a tremendous struggle to speak and
follow real life French. Maybe after my Cantonese gets better and/or I return to the
US, I'll make another push to improve my French!

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6821 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 

Message 39 of 124
18 March 2013 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
CANTONESE

I've been making good progress with the Elementary Cantonese set, and am now up to
Lesson 13. The past few lessons have started to cover in depth final sentence
particles, which are one of the most difficult points for me and probably most foreign
learners of Cantonese. It’s impossible to speak natural sounding, conversational
Cantonese without particles, since they are essential to adding shades of mood and
meaning to sentences and compensate for the language’s rigid tone structure. But
native speakers don’t pay any attention to what particle comes at the end of a
sentence, except to subconsciously understand its meaning. So drilling particles is
both necessary and unwieldy – I need to develop an intuitive sense of when to use the
particle, but at the same time, the particle has to flow smoothly; it can’t just be
tacked on stiffly at the end. Years of listening to Cantonese has given me some sense
of which particles are used when, but the actual rules and reasons are really
challenging. In the meanwhile, I think I’m going to memorize sentence patterns with
fixed particles to begin internalizing them.

My Anki is now up to 390 Cantonese words and patterns. This number is a little
inflated since it includes some words that I know quite well, but wasn't complete sure
as to finer shades of meaning or exact tone. I would guess that about 250 are actually
new words, and about 140-150 are words that I've included to track and practice. I've
actually created two decks: one deck contains all the Cantonese words that I come
across in general studying: in the Sidney Lau volumes, while watching television or
speaking with people, or words that I think might be useful. The other deck is based
on “Interesting Cantonese” by Susanna Ng, which contains 3,000 common words and
phrases, arranged by topic. I plan to review about 5-10 pages of that book every day
and add any words or patterns I don’t know to my Anki deck. Most of it so far has been
review, but I think it’ll step up as I get to subjects and topics that I am less
familiar with. I think it’ll take me about 3-4 months to get through the book, and
then several more months to actually internalize and learn the words. Between that and
my other vocabulary study, that means I should have enough words for daily conversation
within a few months.

At my current pace, I should be able to get through Elementary Cantonese by next week,
when we leave on our trip. I am not too concerned with “overlearning” or memorizing
everything in each lesson at this point. Rather, I’m planning to take an Assimil-like
approach of going through it once and then repeating it several times again and again
in the future. The risk, otherwise, is that I get mired in the details, get
overwhelmed, and just quit. I did quickly review lessons 1-5 yesterday, and saw some
good grammar points that I had started to forget, so I think this layered approach is
helping.

FRENCH

I’m now up to lesson 93 of Assimil NFWE. It’s definitely gotten harder, and I
essentially need to do a passive wave in the morning in order to be able to actively
back-translate a lesson in the afternoon. The grammatical constructions and vocabulary
have gotten more complex, so I am also less motivated to work through it. I think this
is the same point that I faced years ago when I used Assimil for the first time. At
some point, you reach a level of fairly good survival skills, probably somewhere in the
A2 range. You can talk about most colloquial topics with some ease, you can muddle
through the most common situations that you’ll find yourself in when traveling, and you
can talk with patient natives about general topics. Assuming you don’t have any
external motivation to study French or pressing need to speak the language, you end up
asking yourself, is this level good enough for my purposes? Some people take the view
or would like to learn each language to a high level of mastery, and that’s an awesome
goal. For all the amazing polyglots on this forum who have reached those goals – I
have tremendous admiration for all of their accomplishments. I’d love to one day reach
that level in a few foreign languages. It takes so much to push through that apathy
and resistance of saying whether good enough is good enough.

OTHER LANGUAGES

In other languages, I finally finished going through Basic German Vocabulary and
inputting all of the unknown/shaky/passive words into Anki. The total count is 1432
words. That means that my German active vocabulary is at least 2568 words, although it
is probably larger since it includes a few hundred other words that don’t appear in the
Basic Vocabulary. To cull words, I went through the Langenscheidt book and, looking at
the English definition, tried to recall the German word and gender, as well as the past
tense form and plural forms. If I recalled them accurately, I gave that word a pass.
If anything was shaky, such as if I didn’t remember the gender or couldn’t recall the
past tense form, then I added it to Anki. This exercise has been a good test to see
what remains of my vocabulary after largely ignoring German for 11 years.

The exercise has been eye-opening in a few ways: (1) it has shown me that 4,000 words
is a LOT of words. Even when I lived in Germany and could get by day to day, I
probably at most only knew 3,500 words, based on my assessment of the Basic Vocabulary
results. While there were a lot of words I didn't know, I felt that I knew enough to
be an independent learner and add words through context rather than through formal
study. I think 4,000 words is definitely enough to get by in a language, and on a good
day, even to feel fairly advanced! (2) At the same time, the exercise has shown me
that 4,000 words really isn't a lot. At 4,000 words, there are still SO MANY words you
DON’T know, such as “superficial,” “periodical,” “teddy bear,” “soy milk,” etc. Those
words could take a lifetime to learn, but it’s probably best to learn the words that
are particularly applicable to your interests and needs. (3) It reminds me that
vocabulary study is an enormous undertaking. It was humbling to go through some of the
pages of the book and feel like I didn't know a single word, especially words for
incredibly basic concepts and objects. (4) It also reminded me that another reason I
was able to function well in Germany was because of the enormous transparency between
English and German vocabulary for difficult words, an advantage that I won’t have when
I am studying Cantonese vocabulary. (5) But it also gives me hope that if I could
function with a relatively small but useful vocabulary in Germany, I may be able to do
the same in Cantonese one day (and hopefully once I get through the “Interesting
Cantonese” set, I should have a good basis).

I've set my Anki deck to test me with 15 German vocabulary words per day from this
Basic German deck. Some of this studying should go extremely fast because it is just
learning a gender or plural form, but some will be actual new words. At this rate, I
should get through all new cards within about 3-4 months, and then it’ll just be
studying for the next several months, and then review and maintenance after that. I
don’t intend to do any more formal vocabulary study of German other than this deck,
which I think will be enough to keep me busy for a long time.

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6821 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 

Message 40 of 124
21 March 2013 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
CANTONESE

I just completed Lesson 14 of Elementary Cantonese, and man is it a killer. The
chapter covers temporal phrases, including “before …”, “after,” and “while, “ such as
“After I got to the office, I made a call to my mother” or “Before I arrived in Hong
Kong, I already had studied two months of Cantonese.” The rules themselves are not too
hard to understand, but Cantonese requires that these temporal clauses go at the
beginning of a sentence, but that the actual temporal phrase shows up at the end of the
clause. Putting together one of these sentences is painfully slow, and I don’t think
I’m fast enough yet to use these in real conversation. In the absence of comprehensive
drills, what I’ll need to do is spend a LOT of time over the next few weeks thinking of
temporal phrases I might use and translating them into Cantonese, until they get
easier. I don’t recall having this much of a problem when I was learning German word
order years ago, but maybe I did have a lot of trouble and I just don’t remember
anymore?

In the spirit of not burning out, I've finished the Lesson 14 exercises and moved on to
Lesson 15 for now, which covers “who” and “which” words, which are much easier. It’s
nice that some of these grammar points feel refreshingly like review, since that makes
it easier to slog through the tough lessons that feel completely new and frustrating.

Given my previous frenetic pace of a few days ago, I was hoping to finish Elementary
Cantonese Volume II before leaving on my trip next week, but now I’m not so sure. I
still have another 275+ pages to go in the book, and finishing it will depend on how
hard to remaining six lessons are. Even though I am not concerned with over-learning
at this point, I don’t want to breeze through them too quickly. There are still a lot
of drills to work on, vocabulary to study and grammar to learn.

My Cantonese Anki deck is now up to 551 words, spread out between my general study deck
(445 words) and my Interesting Cantonese deck (106 words). I just noticed that
Interesting Cantonese is set up with the most common topics first, which is probably
why I’m getting through it pretty quickly. I think that at the book advances to harder
subjects, it’ll be a greater challenge.

FRENCH

With the Paris trip just around the corner, I need to step up my French review. I am
now on Lesson 99 of Assimil NFWE, right about where it starts to get harder as it dives
into business interviews, letter writing, etc. I never really mastered these lessons
the first time around, so I think they’ll be pretty hard this time as well. Luckily, I
won’t need to write any letters or interview for a job anytime soon, but there are some
good vocabulary words to learn in the lessons.

Yesterday, I also played through 10 lessons of Using French as a review. It doesn't
really feel much more advanced than NFWE, especially since the voice actors still speak
very slowly and enunciate very clearly, but it’s great for me to hear and mimic their
pronunciations. The first half of UF is also great for learning more everyday
vocabulary and grammatical constructions, even though the second half starts to get
into less useful (for me) topics like the simple past, excerpts from Victor Hugo
novels, etc.

One day in the far future, I’d love to take an official language certificate exam in
French. At that point, I’ll worry about learning more French, including beefing up my
grammar knowledge, expanding vocabulary, etc. But in the meanwhile, I’m focusing on it
purely for enjoyment, and I’m only covering topics and resources that are fun.

OTHER LANGUAGES

I've continued to plod along listening to podcasts in German and Spanish. In addition
to the Schlaflos and Crónica podcasts, I am now also going through old episodes of
Notes in Spanish Advanced. I don’t know if they are still putting out new episodes,
but several years ago, I downloaded some 90+ free advanced episodes from the iTunes
store, and am only now rediscovering them. Each one is short – between 5-10 minutes –
and they consist of two or more speakers discussing various issues ranging from cell
phone usage to working in an office to current events. One of the speakers is a
foreigner who speaks well enough but makes some mistakes, whereas the other is a native
Spaniard with crystal clear pronunciation. The podcasts are more intermediate than
advanced, but still very enjoyable to listen to, and I have been noting a few useful
words and phrases here and there that I can add to my internal lexicon. The great
thing is that I don’t have to strain to understand the lessons – each one is
comfortably at a level where I can listen at the gym and get pretty much 100% of each
episode. By contrast, the Crónica episodes are sometimes hit or miss – a few are very
easy but some of them are very difficult, and require several listens before I get the
point.

I've also started reading the Spanish version of “Do You Speak English,” free from the
iBooks store, which HTLAL Luke recommended in another thread. I have mixed feelings
about the book. On the one hand, it’s very interesting and goes into the author’s
thoughts and opinions regarding studying various languages, lots of which is very
interesting. On the other hand, the author seems rather arrogant, which doesn't make
him particularly likable. For instance, I didn't find at all funny his descriptions of
how he taunted a rather self-absorbed British girl in his Spanish class in Barcelona –
if anything, it just came across as petty and cruel. Interestingly, his descriptions
of his time in Germany and Italian resonated with me. Contrary to common stereotypes
about cold German personalities and warm Italians, I (like the author) experienced the
contrary in my travels: lots of extremely friendly, warm and sociable Germans and
plenty of loud, mean, insensitive and unscrupulous Italians. I haven’t completely out
the possibility of making another trip to Italy or learning Italian in the future, but
I have to say that the several days I spent in Italy haven’t given me the best of
impressions. From a leaner's perspective, I also have mixed feelings about the eBook.
It's the first book I've read in Spanish in years, but it's clearly a translation of an
English book, including some Anglicisms that have been literally translated as well as
a fair number of grammar mistakes, including incorrect genders, weird and grammatically
incorrect constructions, etc. I'm appreciating learning some new vocabulary, but I'd
warn an intermediate Spanish learner to approach the book with caution, since there are
enough errors to throw a person off.

This discussion contains 124 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version