justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5235 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 25
05 January 2014 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Eagle32 wrote:
I've tried reading books in the past that people have recommend as being relatively easy to follow, like the Harry Potter books. The trouble is I don't like Harry Potter, I have no interest in the story and I give up inside 10 pages.

It's no good to be reading stuff that doesn't hold your interest. I like the Harry Potter books (at least the first four). I had intended to read them all in Spanish last year, but gave up after starting book five. Just not my thing.

I actually chose a series that I've read before multiple times. It is *much* harder of a read, but since I know the story very well, it made it a little easier. I focused on vocab very heavily at first, and it was very effective.

I think it's much more important to read something you're interested in - even if it's a little more difficult. (And to be honest, I think Harry Potter, although it's supposed to be a kids book, is full of more vocabulary than many easier adult books!)
1 person has voted this message useful

Eagle32
Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6341 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: French

Message 10 of 25
06 January 2014 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa; I mainly read scifi and fantasy. Specifically, space opera and epic fantasy mainly (although avoiding things with too much world building like LOTR), but I touch on all sorts of things within scifi/fantasy. I've gone through a couple of urban fantasy series recently. I tend to like my books to be either on-going series or massive epics that span several volumes.

Some of my favourites in English: Everything by Peter F. Hamilton, The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, Codex Alera and The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, The Gentleman Bastards by Scott Lynch, The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss, Colonization by Harry Turtledove and The Seafort Saga by David Feintuch.

Kerrie; Absolutely, harder and interesting/enjoyable is a much better way to go than easier and uninteresting. It keeps reading fun rather than turning it into work.

In the last couple of days:

+25 pages on Pandore Abusée
+I've got a short set of 10 or so songs I've been going through on Lyrics Training a couple of times a week. Went through them yesterday and today. Still using the beginner difficulty. I think it has helped my listening comprehension quite a bit. Although, that might just be the result of more time spent listening in general.
+Watched L'Arnacoeur (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1465487/) in French with French subtitles. I first watched this about a year ago. At the time I got the gist of the main plot but not much of the detail. This time I understood much more of what was going on; much, much more. I still didn't get everything but you can't expect miracles ;). Plot summary: Guy makes a living breaking up relationships (bad relationships, he gets hired by friends/family of the women in the relationship to make the woman realise she could have a better relationship) by seducing the women then telling them he can't love but there is still a chance for them. It's a romantic comedy so that should be enough for you to guess the rest of the plot accurately.

I think watching movies/tv shows before you can understand much of them increases the re-watch-ability of them as you understand more each time you watch again. Whereas a film in your native language you watch once and are done with unless you like it a lot (well I'm like that anyway).

Most of the music I listen to these days is French, and that's going most of the time in the background at home. I don't really count it as doing something though, as I'm not usually paying attention to it.

Edited by Eagle32 on 06 January 2014 at 12:18pm

Eagle32
Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6341 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 

Message 12 of 25
26 January 2014 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Not a great month for French, lots of other things going on.

+25 pages of Pandore Abusée

Watched a couple of DVDs I got over the holidays.
+Un Monstre à Paris (Fr with Fr subs). Understood most of this one, family movies seem to be some of the easiest to follow.
+1789 Les Amants De La Bastille (Fr with Fr subs), about 8 times so far. This has to be one of the hardest things I've tried to watch, musicals are hard to follow.

"Plutôt" and "Plus tôt" seem to be pronounced the same way to me. Is there some subtle difference?

Edited by Eagle32 on 09 March 2014 at 1:01am

Eagle32
Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6341 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 

Message 13 of 25
03 March 2014 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
February was a terrible month for French, zero progress. Fortunately things have now gotten back to a state where I have some time and March is going well so far.

Over the last couple of days I have watched the first two seasons of Le Visiteur du Futur. It's a sci-fi (comedy) web series about a guy trying to fix the future by travelling back and preventing the little things that snowball into disasters. It initially concentrates on one guy in the present and the little things he does that are the root cause of various catastrophes in the future. It evolves as it progresses and various people in the present and future team up and are good (bad) guys depending on the changes in the present and an on-going story grows out of the concept (the first few episodes are really just standalone shorts).

My level of understanding for the first 3-4 episodes was surprisingly high, then there was a string of episodes where I was pretty lost, then I started to follow enough again to get the main plot points. I've been watching without any subs and trying to improve my listening a bit.

Also watched a couple of Doctor Who episodes in French with no subs.

Read another 10 pages of Pandore Abusée but reading is going to be slow until I finish reading the Mistborn (by Brandon Sanderson) trilogy which I started in English last week (nearly through that though).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Duan
Canada
Joined 4636 days ago

36 posts - 48 votes
Studies: Polish, French

Message 14 of 25
03 March 2014 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
Hey Eagle32, thanks for pointing out this web series. Since I like sci-fi and fantasy as
well, I think I need to pay more attention to your log for nuggets of wisdom :)

Eagle32
Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6341 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 

Message 15 of 25
09 March 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
Just shy of another 30 pages of Pandore Abusée done. 149 pages down, 300 odd to go. This has definitely gotten easier to read as I've progressed through the book.

I watched the first couple of episodes of the 3rd season of Le Visiteur du Futur. I've also been watching the earlier episodes again repeatedly but mostly while doing other things at the same time. I have watched the first few episodes several times while giving it my full attention. I think that after watching an episode 3 or 4 times I have understood everything I can without further context or looking things up. By going back to earlier episodes after watching later ones I do pick up more thanks to the additional context gained in later episodes.

I also watched the pilot episode of Stargate SG-1 while reading along with the transcript from hypnoweb. There were small errors and omissions in the transcript in some places but overall it seemed fairly accurate.

I looked around for any other interesting web series. I found this channel that has a gaming related series. After watching the first episode I guess that it will probably appeal to followers of The Guild or similar. It seems to be about people inside an MMORPG.

The creators of Le Visiteur du Futur have another series called Les Operateurs. I've only watched 1/2 of the first episode but I'll definitely come back to it later. It seems to be about a weird office where no one seems to know what they do?

Edited by Eagle32 on 09 March 2014 at 10:42am

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5235 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 16 of 25
14 March 2014 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Eagle32 wrote:
I also watched the pilot episode of Stargate SG-1 while reading along with the transcript from hypnoweb. There were small errors and omissions in the transcript in some places but overall it seemed fairly accurate.

SG1 is one of my all-time favorite shows. I bought the box set from Europe (I'm in the States) and it has audio and subs in French, Italian and German. There's a lot of good TV there if you decide you like it. Ten seasons worth. :)

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version