Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6443 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 17 of 25
05 April 2014 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
It's one of my favourites, but 10 seasons of any show is usually more than I want. My interest tends to wane in most shows after 6-7 seasons (although I usually keep watching). I've found I have a harder time staying focused watching things I already know well as well, especially with the earlier episodes in a series. The re-watchability of the "origin"/intro episodes is always low for me (but I usually refuse to watch series like SG in anything other than the intended order :p). Watched the second episode with the transcript.

I've now watched all of the 3rd season of Le Visiteur du Futur and have caught up to the most recently released episode of the 4th season (Episode 6 - Le Réveil). There are big jumps in production values with each season of this show. After watching the 3rd season a couple of times I realised that some of the season 3 episodes have good French subtitles (rather than the terrible Youtube "auto-caption" FR subs the 2nd season has). Watching the episodes with the FR subs has been a bit of a reality check as to just how much of what's happening I'm missing when just listening. The gap between my reading and listening comprehension is still large, but it's improving so I'm not complaining. 6 months ago I couldn't understand anything much that I heard.

I've watched bits and pieces of a bunch of other stuff but I haven't really settled into watching any other specific series.

I'm starting to not mind as much that translated TV/movies don't have subs that match the audio. I think there is value in reading one thing and having a general idea of what is being said and listening and hearing a different way of saying something similar (or completely different on occasion). It provides you with things to investigate when you hear one thing and read another and can't figure out one of them or why one of them could also be used. I also tend to listen more carefully when I'm not expecting the audio to match what I'm reading.

Edited by Eagle32 on 05 April 2014 at 5:33am

1 person has voted this message useful

Eagle32
Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6443 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 

Message 18 of 25
05 April 2014 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
A big improvement in my listening that I just remembered while watching Les Operateurs. If there is a phrase that has me stumped and seems important I can now, usually, put what I think I'm hearing into Google Translate and get close enough that the correction it provides gets me to something that makes sense.

For example: In the second episode there are small mysterious boxes on the ground. Someone is guessing what they are and said something I didn't know. Typing what I thought I was hearing I put "piege a souris" into google translate and the "did you mean" thing said "piège à souris" (only missed the accents on that one, but it has worked pretty well previously when I've made much worse mistakes) which translated as "a mouse trap". Which passes my "makes sense given the context" sanity check. Then I looked up the individual words on word reference, because I've had some weird stuff out of google translate, so I like to check any translation from there against another source (piège = Trap and souris = Mouse, good enough for me).

The "did you mean" thing with google translate is pretty useful for finding things this way.

Edited by Eagle32 on 05 April 2014 at 10:52am

Eagle32
Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6443 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 

Message 19 of 25
08 April 2014 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
3rd Stargate episode.
All of Les Operateurs (10 episodes totalling about 60 mins).
Couple of sessions playing on Lyrics training. 60min and 15min.

Eagle32
Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6443 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 

Message 20 of 25
09 April 2014 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Je viens de regarder "L'Assaut" (en français avec sous-titre français). It's based of true the story of the 1994 hijacking of Air France plane in Algeria.

I was going to make an effort to right this very short post in French but it's late enough that I'm going to leave that for another day.

After reading a few English books I've gone back to Pandore Abusée again. I read another 20 pages last night. ~170 pages done in total.

Edited by Eagle32 on 09 April 2014 at 1:39pm

Eagle32
Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6443 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 

Message 21 of 25
21 April 2014 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
Pandore Abusée. +75 pages. 245 pages done in total.

Watched:
Rien à déclarer (français avec sous-titre français). A comedy film about French and Belgian customs officers.
Comme un Chef (français avec sous-titre français). A comedy about a chef in danger of losing his restaurant and another chef who idolises the first chef and gets a chance to work for/with him.
Le Visiteur du Futur (français), Season 4 episode 7.

Eagle32
Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6443 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 

Message 22 of 25
30 April 2014 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Quick update before the start of the Super Challenge.

Pandore Abusée. +99 pages. 344 pages done in total.
Le Visiteur du Futur, Season 4 episode 8.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4607 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 23 of 25
30 April 2014 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
Comment as-tu trouvé Rien à declarer ? J'ai entendu parler qu'il n'était pas très bon.

Eagle32
Groupie
New Zealand
Joined 6443 days ago

56 posts - 83 votes 

Message 24 of 25
01 May 2014 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Ce n'était pas mal, mais ce n'était pas très bon non plus.

I'd say it was fairly average, but I wouldn't call it bad. Some of the details certainly evaded me though and my guesses may have filled the blanks in with better jokes than the actual ones. :p

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version