Joined 5372 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 19
03 October 2012 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Sounds like a great project!

Here are some random thoughts, which may or may not be useful. :-)

If you want to hire a tutor, it's worth speaking to a couple of people first. One good place to look is Verbal Planet, which is where I found my amazing DELF B2 tutor. She cost about $10/hour more than the really cheap tutors, but she was worth it, because she was talented, well-trained and a polyglot herself. And she was happy to do the lessons entirely in French, which was exactly what I needed at the time.

Also, don't hesitate to explain what you're looking for, and to scratch useless activities from the plan. most tutors will have some sort of standard lesson plan aimed at students who need everything to be spoon-fed.

As for topics, I often wrote about either (1) something I did that day, or (2) something I had tried to talk about semi-successfully. This made it easy for me to find a topic, and I could use the new vocabulary and phrases almost immediately. When I felt really inspired, I'd write about something more complicated.

Anki is a terrific tool, but my personal limit is about 10 new cards per day (sentences and cloze cards), and no more than 100 or so reviews. That takes up 20 to 40 minutes per day, which is enough to really help me over the long term, but not so much that it takes away from TV and reading.

Good luck with your project!
1 person has voted this message useful

Jalds
United States
Joined 4798 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: Spanish

Message 10 of 19
04 October 2012 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
emk,

Those are immensely useful thoughts, thank you for the advice and encouragement.

I have found 2 potential tutors, one through Verbal Planet and the other is a teacher
at a language school that offers online lessons. I'm hoping to find a tutor that can
help me with conversations and writing (output activities) and isn't going to load me
down with grammar exercises (why would I pay for that?). Next week I'm going to be out
of the country and will take advantage of the opportunity to meet those tutors to
determine if they would suit my needs. Thanks again for your advice.

Oh, and I agree 100% regarding Anki. My daily reviews are usually only around 50, but
since I do like to review the entire passage aloud, it does take a while.

I struggled again today finding the right topic for a journal entry. One change I
think I'm going to make is that if I feel like writing about something personal or
political or something that simply isn't meant to be shared publicly, then I'm going to
do it and keep it private vs. forcing myself to find something that would be
entertaining to lang-8 readers. That seems like such a simple solution, but I've
really had a hard time with that lately. I guess sometimes you have to give yourself
permission to do what you want to do. Somewhere Katz from AJATT is smiling.

Today is the 4th consecutive day of shadowing a 20 minute text. In this case, I
shadowed the same text I used 3 days earlier and it went quite well. While I don't
follow professor Arguelles' rules to the letter, I am finding this exercise helpful.
Since it's only been 4 days, I'm not going to make any grand conclusions about
shadowing, but I've noticed that in conversations certain phrases just come right out.
There may be more effective ways of internalizing phrases, words or verbal reactions,
but at first glance, shadowing seems to be a reliable method. Then again, I have
listened to these texts many, many times before, so it could just be a case of massive
input paying off. I'll let the linguists figure that out, I'm just happy it appears to
be working.

My final update: I had another conversation with a native speaker today and felt quite
comfortable until...the other person got really excited telling a story and sped up to
some ungodly speed. I think I understood about 8 words in heated 1 minute rant. I
played along as though I was understanding because...well... you just can't ask a
person to repeat an entire rant. In any case, it's clear my listening comprehension
isn't as good as I thought it was. That's disheartening, but the conversation was
about 45 minutes long, so at least I have that to hang my hat on. The roller coaster
continues.

Jalds
United States
Joined 4798 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes

Message 11 of 19
29 October 2012 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Wow, it's been a long time since I've updated the log. October ended up being a really
busy month. Here are some updates:

First, I kept up my shadowing efforts and I do think it's paying off. There are
certain phrases that are becoming automatic and certain pronunciations that are getting
ingrained in me. Having said that, I'm convinced (and this is probably obvious to many
people) that shadowing doesn't do much for vocab. In other words, after I've read a
text 6 or 7 times, my brain really isn't paying much attention to the vocab, I'm more
or less just reciting the text with the recorded speaker. FYI, there were new
constructions and words that I thought would become automatic because of the repeated
reading, but that hasn't been the case yet. I think for that to happen, I need
repeated exposure in varying contexts.

I haven't met my goals in terms of writing (I had wanted to complete 18 journal entries
this month) and I'm going to fall a little short. I'm currently at 12, but one entry
is really long and should count as 3 or 4...lol. Enough of the excuses, I need to
write more, period.

I went to Panamá for 10 days and my Spanish held up reasonably well. I wasn't perfect,
but I could definitely do most of the things I normally do at home. I was able to
engage in arguments about politics, talk about daily life, meet new people etc. I have
a friend that owns a bar there, so I was getting a lot of exposure to locals.

Third, in preparation for meeting with my private tutor, which starts next week, I took
a placement test and apparently, my level is C1! Only took me 28 months longer than
Benny the Irish Polyglot, lol. Fluent In 30 Months, I think it sounds good. :)

In all seriousness I'm absolutely shocked by that and frankly, I don't believe it's an
accurate reflection of my true level. The placement test did not include an oral
component, just grammar, writing, reading comprehension and oral comprehension. It's
possible I'm at C1 in those areas, but anyone who's had a conversation with me would
probably say i'm in the B1-B2 stage.

In any case, the important point is that I'm making progress. I haven't had any
evidence of that for awhile now, so it's really encouraging to know that I have
progressed.    

Jalds
United States
Joined 4798 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes

Message 12 of 19
28 April 2014 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Restarting this log as I hope it aids me in improving Spanish. I´ve been very
consistent in doing something everyday for over 4 years now, but I´m still shy of the
C1 level and am a little frustrated with my progress.

I was reading through an old journal entry and found this sentence from November 2013:

Me siento estancado. Como que no puedo avanzar con lo que estoy haciendo y necesito un
cambio.

Well, 6 months later I still feel stuck. This is one massive plateau. My response to
the November plateau was to read like crazy and while I´m sure I have increased my
passive vocabulary, I´m not satisfied with my current abilities or the rate of
progress. I think I´ve been at the B2 threatening C1 level for over a year now. Arrgg!
Enough.

A couple of months ago there was a thread about finishing a language. When I first read
it, I thought: there is no finishing a language. Well, now I understand the sentiment
that may have been behind that post. There´s a point where even the most patient
learner (whom I am not) asks, when will I be good enough to just live in this language
comfortably?

In any case, I decided to hire an online tutor and we start classes this coming week.
I hope that gets me out of this rut.

In the meantime, I have plenty of Anki reviews, a good book and a moderately
interesting TV series waiting for me. In other words...more of the same.

Jalds
United States
Joined 4798 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes

Message 13 of 19
29 April 2014 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Reinstating the "Phrase Bank"

My method for Anki is to copy and paste sentences or paragraphs from any content I find
interesting (i.e. books, newspapers, magazines, blog posts and my podcast transcripts).
While I limit myself to 10 cards per day, there are days where I can´t find 10
interesting items and in those cases I turn to my "Phrase Bank".

As a general rule I'm happy to randomly encounter new constructions and new words.
While I know I'll need to see several examples to truly cement those constructions and
words in my vocabulary, extensive reading and consistent browsing of blogs and usually
provide enough examples over time.

There are however, some examples, that are just too rare. Others are just too
interesting to me to wait another potential 3 months to see a 2nd example. In these
cases, I'll go searching for examples and add those to the phrase bank.

Today I saw the payoff of the phrase bank. I had a phone conversation with a hotel
employee in Spanish in which I used a Puerto Rico saying, which I had only seen once in
my 20+ books by Puerto Rican authors. The other person was impressed, and asked if I
was Puerto Rican. I smiled to myself, knowing I had correctly internalized that saying
thanks to the "Phrase Bank."

I know it's not a big deal, but it's an event that indicated progress and validated one
of my methods, and THAT is the hallmark of a good day.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jalds
United States
Joined 4798 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes

Message 14 of 19
30 April 2014 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Had the first tutoring session this morning and really enjoyed it. We settled on a
format in which I will write a short story for every session (we're meeting 2X per week),
which will be corrected by tutor. In addition, I have to select a current event topic
which we can debate in class.   Finally, there will be a short period at the end of every
class to go over any random grammar questions I have.     

I'm pretty excited as I found I was able to converse much more smoothly than I had
anticipated. What's odd is that the night before I couldn't even think in Spanish, I was
just too tired and forcing my brain to string together sentences was an exercise in
futility. Maybe I just needed to sleep?

In any case, I'm convinced this is going to help me improve and that was the goal.   

Jalds
United States
Joined 4798 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes

Message 15 of 19
01 May 2014 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
I just finished writing my first story, which I'll review with my tutor tomorrow. 2 days
into this new adventure and I'm already questioning what I've gotten myself into.
Writing fiction is exhausting, particularly with such a short deadline.

However, I did enjoy the process and I was especially pleased to find that my vocabulary
was sufficient to not truly need a dictionary (I did use Linguee and Google to look up a
couple of words to validate they were used correctly).

I'll now need to do some preparation for the debate topic I've chosen for our session
which is: The impact of foreigners on the local culture and economy of western Panama.
It's a meaty topic and perhaps a bit risqué, but it genuinely interests me, so I´ve
decided to throw caution to the wind.

Jalds
United States
Joined 4798 days ago

23 posts - 31 votes

Message 16 of 19
01 May 2014 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
I had another good session with my tutor this morning. I really enjoy this format. It
allows me an opportunity to practice all of my "active" skills and learn about the
local culture in ways that might be difficult as a tourist.

The debate was really more of a discussion, where my tutor and I participated equally,
since I was truly interested in the topic.

My story was well received, which I was really pleased about, although, we've
identified a new weakness: punctuation. It's a little embarrassing, but I had a couple
of misplaced or even missing commas. Sigh. This language learning adventure never
ends. :)

I'm now off to the Dominican Republic for a weekend to attend a book fair and a couple
of writing workshops. Hopefully I wont find myself in over my head.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version