Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4364 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 24
15 December 2013 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
2013 hasn't been a fruitful year in aspect of English and German, but for my French I
have to admit that I feel that I jumped from passive B1 to firmly active B2. Last
summer I received an acceptation from a French hospital and I spent a month in France,
that really boosted my medical French vocab and oral comprehension.

ENGLISH

I can say that my reading skills are about C1+ or so, but my active English is a
living proof for the results of negligence in languages. I had learnt English to a C1-
C2 level in high school but I have been using English almost just for medical textbook
reading for 3 years. My general English drew back. I'm starting this TAC because I want
to "force" myself to write in English in order to recuperate my expressions skills.

My goal for English is to boost my vocabulary, to revise English grammar and improving
listening comprehension.
So I can say : C1+ fully active skills.

FRANÇAIS

I simply love this language. French, Russian and Spanish are 3 languages in which I
find pleasure while studying. French will be my major focus this year. Last TAC I said
the same thing for my aimed level, but now my goal is more accurate and I don't think
it'll take a whole year to reach.
Alter Ego series are full of new words and expressions, I want to study them the last
book included, level 5 that aims C1&C2, I'm a regular member of French cultural
center's library, I'll continue to borrow books and films.
Sometimes I'll post my updates in French.

My goal : B2 -> C1 both in expression and comprehension.

DEUTSCH

To be honest I don't "love" this language as I love French or Russian. But considering
the fact that it's the most important second foreign language after English in my
country, a good command of German is highly appreciated in medical field. (student
exchanges etc). Last year I joined in an Assimil experiment which I broke up later, I
had already studied that book until 75% and now I can handle very basic conversations
and I like the never ending inversions in this language.

For German, this TAC will be an Assimil Experiment. I mean, on the contrary to French,
(in aspect of the diversity of resources) in German Assimil will be my only source with
dictionaries. I'll use no textbooks. I have heard many praises for this book and I
just want to see if assimil will work fine with my German as it once did very well with
my Russian. I'll see how far can someone go with these books.

My goal : A1 -> B1+

RUSSIAN

I think I'm at A2+ in this language but currently I have no plans for Russian. I rarely
talk to Russian friends and that prevents me to lose my Russian. If I get bored with
German, I can switch to Russian, or Russian can maintain being a wanderlust interest
for me through the year but I think it won't be a major subject at all.

All comments are welcome ! :)

Edited by fireballtrouble on 11 January 2014 at 10:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4198 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 24
16 December 2013 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Happy to see you on the french team. There is a russian team as well, in case you are interested in another TAC. You can join only as an observer, as you know, if your plans do not include intensive study.

Good luck!
1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4543 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 3 of 24
16 December 2013 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Hi fireballtrouble! I'm looking forward to following your progress in French this year. Bonne chance! :-)

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4475 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 4 of 24
19 December 2013 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your studies! I'm the Godmother for the French team so don't hesitate to ask for my help!

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4364 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 

Message 5 of 24
27 December 2013 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Great thanks for your comments and wishes =)

FRENCH

This week I borrowed 2 books and 2 DVDs from French Cultural Center.
I am starting with Vocabulaire Progressif du Français - Avancé. I always liked
theme-based books because they help me for retention of words.
Along with this book, I'm using another reading book,CLE's Comprehension écrite 4 -
B2
.. I really liked that book. There are hosts of useful sentences and theme
variety is quite sufficient. While reading I need to browse dictionary, even not often,
that shows I lack vocabulary. But gaps are to be fulfilled, aren't they ? I have to
keep my enthusiasm awake in order to reach my goal : Fluency in French.

Two films I borrowed are L'Ordre et La Morale and Bataille D'Alger .. I
watched them with French audio. L'Ordre et la Morale came with its French subtitles so
there was no surprise for comprehension.
But, but Bataille D'Alger was with French and Arabic audio and without subtitles.(there
were French subtitles Arabic scenes) and I had to watch it without subtitles. First I
was afraid that I wouldn't understand the film but what shocked me was the fact that I
understood more than 90% of French scenes. Real pleasure for a language lover.

TV :
I watched a debate on France24 about France's economic and social performance in 2013.
Participants used standard pronunciation and I feel like I understand more than 90%. I
also feel that I'm able to listen into detail like numbers, stressed expressions etc.

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4364 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 

Message 6 of 24
01 January 2014 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Bon nouvel an pour tous ! :) Que l'an 2014 soit un an plein de la joie, du bonheur mais
tout d'abord, de la santé !

FRANÇAIS

Hier j'ai regardé deux films en français, l'un était du genre un peu documentaire "Le
Grand Chaos" , une production sur la situation et la catastrophe en France au juin
1940. Grâce à la prononciation archi claire du narrateur, je suis parvenu à regarder ce
film sans sous-titres.
L'autre film que j'ai regardé était "Mon Colonel", un film de guerre aussi, qui nous
montre les dilemmes d'un jeune lieutenant dans sa mission pendant la guerre d'Algerie.
Malheureusement, j'ai eu besoin des sous-titres pour ce film.

Ce qui me plait le plus, c'est de pouvoir comprendre la langue orale un peu mieux
chaque jour. J'suis pas des grands lecteurs, alors mon plaisir ce n'est pas de me
trouver lisant un livre en français sans consulter le dictionnaire mais bien pouvoir
regarder une émission à la télé à l'aise comme je regarde la télé turque.

N'hesitez pas (même veuillez!) à corriger mes fautes de français. Merci.

DEUTSCH

I went upto lesson 60 and here I give myself a revision break. I mean, I gotta train
myself for German pronunciation and I will listen to previous lessons many times and
repeat them.

I was really bored of the long gaps between the lines of Assimil recordings,
"einundzwanzigste Lektion, vierunddreißigste Lektion" parts, the "Übung!" alarm word
and long gaps before and after this sign. So, I deleted them all. Now my recordings
starts directly by saying the title of the lesson and dialogues don't have long gaps
between lines.
This is obviously not an acceleration. The gap between lines was neither just enough to
repeat the line for pronunciation training nor short enough to wait for the next line.
I deleted also the repetition parts of the dialogues in the first lessons of the
course. Listening once fits me :)
Now I have pure audio files. Total of 100 edited tracks last 2h7min. This duration was
3h5m in its original form. 58 mins for a total of 3h5m, more than 30% time sparing.

Edited by fireballtrouble on 01 January 2014 at 1:32pm

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3847 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 7 of 24
01 January 2014 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
French and Russian are beautiful languages and I really want to add them to my hit list and start full time
study. Have you seen Le Herisson? I love that movie and it's made me want to find more French films. It
was my first one.

Anyways, I always like to reccomend Slow German for listening practice. I tend to mention it alot but I
swear by it and I fully enjoy the various topics discussed.

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4364 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 

Message 8 of 24
01 January 2014 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Tollpatchig, thanks for your comment. I haven't seen Le Herisson yet, I'll look for it
next time I go to French Cultural Centre.
I have just googled slow German and it seems like a great native audio and text input
source. Thanks:)

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version