Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4506 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 25 of 61
26 December 2013 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
A few weeks ago I visited Hanoi and Halong Bay in the northern part of Vietnam. I’d like to visit Ho Chi Minh City next, although I’m not sure when that will be. I live in Bangkok, so Vietnam isn’t far away, but it’s not easy to find the time.

My goal in studying Vietnamese is to learn enough ‘survival language’ to be able to deal with everyday situations like greeting people, bargaining in markets, asking for the bill in restaurants, etc. Part of this is assimilating the sounds of Vietnamese and being able to produce them, which will be challenging. Not only in the tones, but also in the vowels, Vietnamese seems to make more distinctions than Mandarin or Thai does.

I’m also interested in Vietnamese from a linguistic perspective, although I’m not actually a linguist. Especially what it has in common – vocabulary or grammatical structures – with neighboring languages like Khmer, Thai and Mandarin. Linking what I learn about Vietnamese with what I already know about these other languages should help me retain the material better. We’ll see though…

2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3984 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 26 of 61
26 December 2013 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
My husband grew up in the Philippines, and his parents and siblings are all Tagalog-speakers. (The whole family
lives in Canada now.) While they all speak perfect English, I'd like to be able to engage in at least simple
conversations with them - without them switching to English to include me. My husband can't teach me, but he'll
be happy to help me practice what I'm learning on my own (and to veto resources like Pimlseur, because "no one
talks like that").

I currently know a dozen Tagalog words that I'll throw into conversation now and then, which always makes his
parents laugh. I think they'll be very easily impressed. Haha! I don't expect to be fully fluent, and my goals aren't
as lofty as they are in Spanish, but I'd like to be able to hold some simple Tagalog conversations with my in-laws
by next Christmas.

While I'd love to start Tagalog right away, I have a major goal coming up in March 2014. I'll be walking the 800
km Camino de Santiago in Spain with my father. I started learning Spanish in May 2013 to prepare for this trip,
and I'd like to be a solid B2 in all skills before I leave. I also have to do training hikes, organize the logistics of the
trip and weigh everything that I own to decide whether or not I want to carry it on my back (my socks weigh
about 30 grams each, for those who might be interested).

So for the first few months, Spanish will be my main goal. I'm going to save the heavy Tagalog learning for when I
get home from Spain in late April.

I've been thinking about starting Tagalog with just 15 minutes per day in January. It would be nice to have a bit of
a head-start - and to be a real part of this team, rather than just an observer for the first 4 months. But I'm afraid
to start SRSing in Tagalog, since I'll have a full six weeks without access to any technology at all. I wonder if it
would be more frustrating than helpful to start and then take a long break so close to the beginning of my study.
I'm also not sure how I would approach "Tagalog in 15 minutes per day". It's something to think about.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3984 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 27 of 61
26 December 2013 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Aaaand…I've just started a Tagalog Memrise course. While I still plan on focusing mainly on Spanish until May, I'll
also spend a few minutes every day learning some basic Tagalog vocabulary. It will give me a head start on learning,
and also let me try out Memrise, which I've been curious about.

Is 15 minutes per day enough to qualify one as a full-fledged member? If so, then I guess this means that I can be
an active member of Team Coconut as of January.

Edited by Stelle on 27 December 2013 at 2:59am

doubleUelle
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3875 days ago

67 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, Thai

Message 28 of 61
27 December 2013 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Stelle: I've added you to the list of members (with the understanding that you (probably)
won't be active until around May).

If you want to post things before then, you can :-) The more, the merrier.
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3984 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 29 of 61
27 December 2013 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Thanks doubleUelle!

Here's my log:

Taga-log

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4360 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 30 of 61
27 December 2013 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
I've been living in Cambodia for the past 4 years and my wife is Khmer, we speak to each other in Khmer only
(unless I am practicing Mandarin). I translate regularly, both documents and live teaching sessions. My goal for
Khmer this year is to finish off a Khmer book I am writing for foreigners to learn Khmer, which will come with
recorded native audio. I also want to keep improving my Khmer by getting a better feel for some of the Buddhist
Khmer. This is quite difficult because most people don't know the terms I ask them about. I also have a couple of
lexicons of new Khmer words which have been released/made in the last couple of years. These are what the Khmer
would describe as 'technical words', which are only usually used in the government (because nobody else knows
them yet). I want to keep growing my vocabulary in this area, which again is difficult because I have nobody to
practice using the words with (I have friends who have graduated university who haven't heard these kind of words
before). Finally I would like to improve my reading pace. I can read pretty well, just still too slowly for where I
should be. I am still debating continuing my old log or making a new one, so I will link it in when I have decided.
Because I am fairly fluent in Khmer I don't do many updates on it (this is also because there was no separate team
last year), but I would like that to change this year. I am also studying Mandarin, but again that's not really relevant
for this team! Really excited for the coming year with this team!

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3885 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 31 of 61
05 January 2014 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
If it's not too late I would like to join Team Coconut, I will be learning Khmer this year. A bit of an impulsive choice...well, actually I've wanted to go to Cambodia for some time now and my goal is to be reasonably fluent before I actually do. Let's say within...3 years? So my main resource will be Colloquial Cambodian, but I'll also be taking advantage of a native-speaker friend of mine and trying to absorb as much native media as possible.

As an aside, do any Khmer learners have any links to share? I've found Khmerlive.Tv, but any other radio stations, or newspapers, etc. worth checking out?

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4360 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 32 of 61
05 January 2014 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
http://www.camnews.org/ - this is not a bad newspaper resource.

http://khmer.voanews.com/ - Newspaper which you can read in either English or Khmer, and also a radio link to
listen in Khmer.

http://www.angkorlink.com/21_Ministry.htm - This link will take you to a page that has a list of all the different
Cambodian ministries. Many of their websites have publications and speeches that you can read through.

On top of that you can get android apps (not sure about iOS) that stream new Khmer music and also Khmer comedy
sketches from TV. You can also find a lot of that on youtube. Search for 'Sunday productions Khmer' on youtube.

On Facebook you can look up the pages for Sam Rainsy, Kem Sokha, CNRP, I love Cambodia hot news and
Battambang real news. These pages often have videos of current events and speeches, as well as tons of written
stuff.

If you have a mac there is a great Khmer dictionary in the app store that you can download.

http://www.english-khmer.com/ - this is an ok online dictionary.

You may also want to look at FSI for native Khmer audio, the only issue is it is a little bit outdated. Also be aware
that Colloquial Cambodian is a little outdated in parts, there are bits and pieces that people don't really say
anymore.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 61 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version