Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4506 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 33 of 61
05 January 2014 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
Khmer is really a fun language, probably the toughest thing about it would be the sounds, plus the writing. I took a year of Khmer at uni - it’s actually quite similar to Thai due to long-term contact. Just a couple of things to recommend:

The Radio Free Asia Cambodia page is probably similar to the VOA one that js6426 suggested.

There’s a video podcast called ‘Extreme Khmer’ by a guy named Frank Smith which is also fun. Despite his laid-back manner, he’s actually an established teacher of the language, at UC Berkeley and at the SEASSI summer intensives. You can watch this at studykhmer.com.

Colloquial Cambodian was our class text – I think it’s great for practical language like getting a motorcycle taxi, ordering food etc. Eventually you’d want to learn how to read and write – I suggest doing it sooner rather than later. The presentation of Khmer writing in CC is systematic, just like in the same author’s Teach Yourself Thai. It’s a bit tricky, because there are two series of consonants, and the way vowels are pronounced depends on the series. We drilled this first thing every morning in class.

In conclusion, I can’t recall seeing anyone actively studying Khmer on this board except js6426 - I hope you manage to stick with it!

3 persons have voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4360 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 34 of 61
05 January 2014 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
viedums wrote:

Eventually you’d want to learn how to read and write – I suggest doing it sooner rather than later. The presentation
of Khmer writing in CC is systematic, just like in the same author’s Teach Yourself Thai. It’s a bit tricky, because
there are two series of consonants, and the way vowels are pronounced depends on the series. We drilled this first
thing every morning in class.

I'd second that. In fact i'd get reading down asap because it will help you with pronunciation, and having something
to assign the sounds that we don't have in English to.
1 person has voted this message useful

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3885 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 35 of 61
05 January 2014 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Wow, thanks so much for the recommendations js6426 and viedums! I downloaded the Khmerlive.tv app for my Galaxy, so cool! I am very excited. And as for outdated language, thanks for the heads-up, hopefully my native-speaker friend will be able to warn me when I sound too old-fashioned. I am a bit confused though...I definitely want to get started reading and writing ASAP, but are you suggesting I follow the presentation of the script as it is laid out in Colloquial Cambodian or is there some better way to learn it?

Edited by Indíritheach on 05 January 2014 at 3:17pm

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4506 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 36 of 61
05 January 2014 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
Indíritheach wrote:
I am a bit confused though...I definitely want to get started reading and writing ASAP, but are you suggesting I follow the presentation of the script as it is laid out in Colloquial Cambodian or is there some better way to learn it?

Yes, that is what I am suggesting - just follow CC and you should be fine. Js6426 or your Khmer friend may have other recommendations. If your friend owns one of the posters used in Khmer schools with the consonants and vowels listed in order, you could ask him/her to help you practice with it, but that would be something extra.

doubleUelle
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3875 days ago

67 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, Thai

Message 37 of 61
06 January 2014 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
Hey everyone,

Happy new year! And good luck with your respective languages!

I've been on vacation the past few days, and will be until Jan 7 (two more days). To
make a long story short, my internet access is very restricted here (I have to pay for
it and it's expensive), so you probably won't see me again until Jan 7. But it's only 2
days away and I will be more active in this thread from then on.

Indíritheach, I've added you to the list of members in the OP. Good luck with Khmer!

js6426, thank you for sharing those resources with everyone! I will add them (along
with some Thai stuff) to the 2nd post when I get back from my vacation. If anyone wants
to recommend anything for Vietnamese, Tagalog, or other languages, feel free :)

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4360 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 38 of 61
06 January 2014 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
Indíritheach wrote:
Wow, thanks so much for the recommendations js6426 and viedums! I downloaded the
Khmerlive.tv app for my Galaxy, so cool! I am very excited. And as for outdated language, thanks for the heads-up,
hopefully my native-speaker friend will be able to warn me when I sound too old-fashioned. I am a bit confused
though...I definitely want to get started reading and writing ASAP, but are you suggesting I follow the presentation
of the script as it is laid out in Colloquial Cambodian or is there some better way to learn it?

I have actually compiled a resource for learning to read and write Cambodian that has native audio with it. I could
email it to you if you want. Of course I would only ask that you don't copy it/upload it/send it to anybody else
without my permission. Then I would ask that you would give me feedback on how you found it and if there is any
area you see I could improve, and how it compares to what you learn as you go through CQ.

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3885 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 39 of 61
06 January 2014 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
js6426 wrote:
Indíritheach wrote:
Wow, thanks so much for the recommendations js6426 and viedums! I downloaded the
Khmerlive.tv app for my Galaxy, so cool! I am very excited. And as for outdated language, thanks for the heads-up,
hopefully my native-speaker friend will be able to warn me when I sound too old-fashioned. I am a bit confused
though...I definitely want to get started reading and writing ASAP, but are you suggesting I follow the presentation
of the script as it is laid out in Colloquial Cambodian or is there some better way to learn it?

I have actually compiled a resource for learning to read and write Cambodian that has native audio with it. I could
email it to you if you want. Of course I would only ask that you don't copy it/upload it/send it to anybody else
without my permission. Then I would ask that you would give me feedback on how you found it and if there is any
area you see I could improve, and how it compares to what you learn as you go through CQ.

I would be honored to take a look at your resource. I never imagined I would get so much support learning a language like Cambodian...I am really grateful and humbled. Colloquial Cambodian should be arriving at some point today, and I've been listening to/watching Cambodian TV and radio to get an idea of the sound the language. It's really unique...it doesn't sound like anything I've studied thus far!

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3885 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 40 of 61
06 January 2014 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
doubleUelle wrote:
Hey everyone,

Happy new year! And good luck with your respective languages!

I've been on vacation the past few days, and will be until Jan 7 (two more days). To
make a long story short, my internet access is very restricted here (I have to pay for
it and it's expensive), so you probably won't see me again until Jan 7. But it's only 2
days away and I will be more active in this thread from then on.

Indíritheach, I've added you to the list of members in the OP. Good luck with Khmer!

js6426, thank you for sharing those resources with everyone! I will add them (along
with some Thai stuff) to the 2nd post when I get back from my vacation. If anyone wants
to recommend anything for Vietnamese, Tagalog, or other languages, feel free :)

Well, I do have at least one recommendation for a Cambodian resource, and that is Khmerlive.tv. This site allows you to switch between four live streams of Cambodian TV channels (Bayon TV, BTV News, TVK, and TV3) as well as 17 different radio stations. There are TV and radio archives as well, and best of all there's an app for Android (not sure about iPhone) that allows you to stream Cambodian TV live on your smartphone! For some reason, I can't get the radio stream to work on my phone, but the radio archives work just fine.

This discussion contains 61 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version