Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, Thai

Message 49 of 61
14 January 2014 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
viedums wrote:
This can remind us that speaking a foreign language is all about
performance.
Khatzumoto of AJATT once wrote that speaking a language is just
doing an imitation with a straight-face... I'm inclined to agree.
1 person has voted this message useful

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4506 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 50 of 61
15 January 2014 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
For advanced students of Thai - a dictionary of national laugh sounds.
With additional suggestions, and of course 5555, in the comments that follow.

Link

Edited by viedums on 15 January 2014 at 4:44pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4970 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 51 of 61
15 January 2014 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
viedums wrote:
For advanced students of Thai - a dictionary of national laugh sounds.
With additional suggestions, and of course 5555, in the comments that follow.

Link

555, that's funny, thanks for sharing! I've encountered อิอิ, ฮ่าๆ, and also หิหิ (which, strangely, is not on the list), but now I've got a lot more subtle variations to watch out for :)

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4506 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 52 of 61
16 January 2014 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
Thai writing, with its tone symbols and long/short vowel distinctions, is really suited for rendering these variations, isn’t it? Sound effects! The tone mark on ก๊ากกก just gets it perfectly, it would be impossible to get the same effect writing in English.

The person who sent this to me was claiming it reflects Internet culture. I guess that’s where Thais use this kind of thing, when they mimic spoken language on Facebook and other social media. But the whole concept (like subtle variations on the Thai smile or the wai) is pretty typical of how Thai culture generally is presented, and (I guess) how it actually works.

Bakunin, I wonder if you have any idea when people started using ‘555’ to signify laughter. I myself believe it’s very recent, there’s probably a connection with Buddhist year 2555 (that is, 2012). I remember seeing an ad for potato chips that used it around then. Maybe it too is an Internet thing – I wouldn’t be surprised!

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4970 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 53 of 61
16 January 2014 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
viedums wrote:
Bakunin, I wonder if you have any idea when people started using ‘555’ to signify laughter. [...] Maybe it too is an Internet thing – I wouldn’t be surprised!

Well, I assume it has developed in Thai chat rooms quite early on. I did a quick internet search... the earliest use I found (but I didn't spend too much time) is from 2007: here. I also found this entry in the urban dictionary from 2003, so it must have been in use already prior to 2003. I would have thought it's obviously coming from ha-ha-ha, but maybe there's more to it.

Yes, it's very much an internet thing, used in chat rooms and forums, especially by the younger generation (but not only). As you said, Thai is perfect for conveying emotions through tones; I can't think of something similar in English. I make liberal use of 555+ and ฮ่าๆๆ but haven't used those other options much (but some have been used on me, and exactly with the meanings described in the link you provided earlier). It's a cute little feature of written Thai :))

Oh, and I love ก๊ากกก! I'll definitively use that from now on 555+
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6996 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 54 of 61
29 January 2014 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
A couple of years ago I posted a link to the online videos and transcripts in several foreign languages at LangMedia.

Since I first stumbled on the site, the colleges involved have added more videos (and their transcripts). For your interest, here are the Southeast Asian ones:

CultureTalk
Indonesia
(all of the videos that I sampled are in Indonesian with transcripts accompanied by translations to English)
Indonesian in Indonesia (includes some video reenactments of situations described in phrasebooks; a handy way to see the link between stock phrases and body language)
CultureTalk Malaysia (all of the videos that I sampled are in Malay with transcripts accompanied by translations to English)
CultureTalk Thailand (all of the videos that I sampled are in Thai with transcripts accompanied by translations to English)
CultureTalk Vietnam (all of the videos that I sampled are in Vietnamese with transcripts accompanied by translations to English)

Enjoy.
3 persons have voted this message useful

SomeGuy
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4940 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 55 of 61
15 April 2014 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
Any updates from anyone?

SomeGuy
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4940 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 56 of 61
16 May 2014 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
looks like i can hijack this thread :)

lets look how the ops react :)

This discussion contains 61 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version