Canada
Joined 4604 days ago

100 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 17 of 27
13 April 2014 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Raconteur wrote:
Even if I'm slow like a turtle, and need a lot of repetition to consolidate my gains, so what? Who cares?

I had been thinking for a while that it could be interesting to start a team here for slower learners. The downside is that since we have very little time, we probably wouldn't post much in it. But should we do it, the "Turtle team" would be a pretty good name. ;)

Keep up the good work! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5418 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 18 of 27
14 April 2014 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Raconteur wrote:
Some inspiration from Pablo Picasso:
You must always work not just within but below your means. If you can handle three
elements, handle only two. If you can handle ten, then handle only five. In that way
the ones you do handle, you handle with more ease, more mastery, and you create a
feeling of strength in reserve.

or as reinterpreted by Khatzu from AJATT:
A twenty-minute walk that I do is better than the four-mile run that I don’t do.

Less perfection, more persistence. That's what I need right now. Yep, yep.

Very interesting indeed. I'm learning too Raconteur that with all my lofty aspirations
and crazy numbers (in study hours etc) that i want to rack up that I'm not actually
making the numbers (doing the hours) that I would like to... I'm a perfectionist and an
idealist, which are not necessarily good things. So what I've learned is that while I
am actually studying to some degree most days I am actually progressing. In the past I
didn't move fwd, I wouldn't do anything unless the circumstances were perfect for me to
move fwd with my rediculously perfect plan or I would simply procrastinate. In fact i
can't complain i'm managing to still do a lot more than most and am certainly not short
of time. All in all you are indeed right, some progress is better than zero. And to
battle with a busy schedule like you do is admirable. Like the hare and the tortoise,
keep plodding along like the tortoise and you will get there before the hare!

Welcome btw as an 'observer' To French 2ème, you are most welcome by us all.
------------
Emk- excellent links once again. Your advice and the resources you are giving to others
are also of use to me, so thank you again.
-----------
Raconteur- We are using very similar materials in Hugo3M, FIA, and Assimil.

Good luck Raconteur, keep on keeping on

PM

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4607 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 19 of 27
14 April 2014 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
I think one of the most applicable adages in language learning is "never let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Over the past few months I have let go of any semblance of planning, even in Spanish, a language in which I am a high beginner or low intermediate, but I still notice improvements all the time, as do my conversation partners. Sometimes I do an Assimil lesson, sometimes I don't; sometimes I talk with people on Verbling for a while, sometimes I don't. It seems to be working well so far.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Raconteur
Diglot
Poland
bit.ly/1eiSWnc
Joined 3834 days ago

34 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English

Message 20 of 27
20 April 2014 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Sunday Review

Incidentally, both yours truly and this forum seem to be in trouble this week! I hope the issues with HTLAL’s DNS
access will be resolved soon.

As resentfully foreseen, this week turned out to be far too much to keep language learning going. I barely squeezed in enough time to keep my Anki deck half in order.

Keeping Anki maintained, however, does not qualify as a successful study day.
Well, not in my book at least. I’m not judging, tho! ;)

Oh… well. When it comes to Français:
Holiday meals, international travel, and tense deadlines – UN
Raconteur – ZÉRO

I might actually have to pull an all-nighter to get this damn project in on time. So much for a relaxing holiday weekend.

The important point here, however, is not to get discouraged by this momentary setback. Tomorrow morning, once I catch up on some sleep, I am back to studying Français.

I hope the rest of you had a more productive week :)
Thanks for reading!

Edited by Raconteur on 20 April 2014 at 11:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Raconteur
Diglot
Poland
bit.ly/1eiSWnc
Joined 3834 days ago

34 posts - 47 votes

Message 21 of 27
27 April 2014 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Sunday Review

Another busy, busy, busy week. Little to no progress to report.

Yet…

I am already seeing the benefit of this log and all of your support. Shameful as it may be, if not for y’all, I would likely quit somewhere around here and now (I’ve definitely done just that many times before). However, I feel accountable to all of you, who have supported me with kind words and advice; it gives me the strength and determination to keep going!

This week I was able to keep up with Anki every day and even add new vocabulary and grammar from the few H3M sections I was able to cover. I am still on Week 3. Assimil and FiA got no love at all this week. My chain stands at meager 2 days, hopefully next Sunday I will be able to report a chain of 9!

248 days left to get these goals done! 頑張る!!!

1 person has voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 4024 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 22 of 27
28 April 2014 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Raconteur wrote:
Sunday Review

Another busy, busy, busy week. Little to no progress to report.

What I'm reading is that you have had progress in spite of it being a busy, busy, busy
week.

Congratulations. Keep it up.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Avid Learner
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4604 days ago

100 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 23 of 27
01 May 2014 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
Myself, I regularly don't do much more than keeping up with Anki! ;) I agree with Gemuse. :)

Raconteur
Diglot
Poland
bit.ly/1eiSWnc
Joined 3834 days ago

34 posts - 47 votes

Message 24 of 27
04 May 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Sunday Review
The not-so-good streak continues. But as you guys benevolently pointed out, doing something is still better than doing nothing.

The week started well, but then language learning once again had to take a backseat to pesky deadlines! I got up to Lesson 20 in Assimil and kept up with SRSing. Nothing else to report this week.

Ahhhhhh, IS MAY 2014, OVER YET???

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version