Norway
Joined 5828 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 1
19 April 2014 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Last week, my friend and I spontaneously decided to learn Japanese! After some
research, I came across Jalup's method (http://japaneselevelup.com/how-to-use-anki-to-
master-japanese-part-2-sentences-j-e/), which is basically adding Japanese sentences
into Anki in tandem with Heisig's "How to Remember the Kanji". My goal is to reach
1,000 sentences by August, which should be quite managable. As for the kanji, I haven't
set a specific goal, as I don't know how easily they'll stick to my long-term memory.
However, I will try to get through at least 4-5 lessons in Heisig (roughly 70-100
characters) a week. My previous experience with Chinese should give me an edge in this
area, although I must admit that I have forgotten most of the hanzi I learned. I will
also write all the sentences I'll be adding in full kanji (provided there is a kanji
for the word, of course). I will be using the following resources:

Active resources:
* Heisig's "Remembering the Kanji" Vol. 1, 4th edition
* Genki - An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese

Passive resources
* Absolute Pimsleur's Japanese (I will try to listen for 30 minutes every
night)
* (Various Japanese video games, movies, animes, etc.)

So far I have been focusing on learning kana, so that I will be able to read fluently
before I move on to the sentences. I am able to read fairly comfortably, albeit slowly,
already, so I think I'll be ready to start with sentence #1 on April 22nd. I have also
memorized some very basic greetings and almost 100 kanji. Heisig's method seems to work
really well - so far I have been able to recall over 95 percent of the characters
perfectly. I expect this to get more difficult though, but it's certainly going much
better than when I was trying to learn hanzi without any particular system (basically
root memorization on a word-to-word basis).

Edited by Andybolg on 19 April 2014 at 11:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version