Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4775 days ago

3 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, French
Studies: Czech, Russian, Turkish, Japanese

Message 1 of 1
30 April 2014 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
This aptly named and long overdue log is going to be a dumping place for my language pursuits for now. My 2014 focus languages were supposed to be Japanese, German, and Turkish, but I didn't get much done until April.

Japanese: I've dabbled in Japanese a little bit in the past. One wave of Japanese interest ended in nausea after I tried the ghastly Heisig approach (Remembering the Kanji), which from a personal point of view is possibly the most unsuitable learning method ever invented. The mnemonics started to grate on my nerves even when I came up with the stories myself. I was almost in need of therapy just to get over the mnemonic waste that littered my mental landscape. Now that I've forgotten most of it (it's been 3-4 years), I'm going to learn the kanji without any unnecessary imagery, keep them austere, as cold and immaculate as the first snow in the mountains.

I've never held a book of manga in my hands, never watched anime (apart from some Ghibli animations I watched with the kids of a friend of mine), not always in the mood for kawaii, haven't tried seppuku yet, haven't eaten sushi, can eat with hashi, dream about the Kyoto of old, have enjoyed Japanese literature in translation for almost 20 years. My experience of real live Japanese speakers from Japan is limited to living a couple of blocks from a hoteru where you might see Japanese tourists standing around waiting by their tour basu from time to time.

There is/was an awesome cherry tree close to where I live. It was quite prominently positioned, especially when seen from the right angle. It might still be there, but I don't want to ruin my memory of it. It was breathtaking when it blossomed. That tree is the role model for my Japanese. And my Japanese tree will grow very slowly.

German: I hope to improve my German in beeps and mounds. I don't know what my level is on CEF, FBI, and SOS scales (me suda la polla), but I understand maybe 90%+ of radio interviews involving cultured speakers. My vocabulary coverage is good enough not to have to look up an excessive amount of words when reading. German is therefore already a usable vehicular or tool language for me, but I'm eyeing at developing depth that would make it an effortless vehicular language. I also want to improve my output skills. Perhaps I'll borrow some courses and sweep them to solidify my fundamentals, maybe memorize active vocabulary and patterns. Practice writing, definitely practice writing. Other activities include reading books and windowlicking two other languages via German. I've spent 690 hours on German so far, although not all that much in the last couple of years, so ideally my army of one should be able to ram its way through the 1000-hour wall this year.

Turkish: Started from a few known words, may combine it later with a minor Turkic language. I'll try to be patient enough to get through a couple of beginner courses and memorize some vocabulary, perhaps a crummy travel dictionary of 3500 words just because I have it and why not and might as well.

Aside from that, I'm taking the full 2014-15 Super Challenge in Czech (spiced with some other Slavics), French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Swedish. I also hope to work on Russian and Italian more systematically to some degree (although not the infamous second degré), progress slowly through Le serbo-croate sans peine, read a couple of books in Estonian. This list is by no means complete. Boredom is not one of my problems.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version