United States
Joined 3692 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: English*, Estonian*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 12
12 May 2014 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
Hi everybody!

I'm getting back to studying the beautiful language (Spanish, of course!) after a bit of a hiatus. I'm not
100% positive, but I think I'm somewhere just past A2. I'd like to take that to B2 by the end of this
calendar year.

My goals at this point are to:
1) complete at least 45 minutes of platiquemos per day
2) get extra input in Spanish to help my listening comprehension (at the moment, through notes in
Spanish) I do this mostly at work, since I currently have a job where I can listen to music and podcasts
while I work.
3) add all the new words I'm learning into my Anki deck and consistently go through those
4) find a Skype language partner and have at least one 30 minute conversations per week (starting in a
month, perhaps?).

I'm currently at unit 20 in platiquemos. I generally understand everything in the units up to that point,
though I am still a bit slow in responding to the prompts at times.

I'm also listening to Notes in Spanish. I finished the intermediate ones and feel like it has helped my
listening comprehension a lot. Admittedly, they're a lot easier to follow than most other material I've
listened to. Now I've started NiS advanced, but it seems like quite a jump from intermediate.. I'm
following about 75-80% of it. (Fortunately, Ben doesn't talk particularly fast, so it's quite easy to keep up
with his part.)

I'm looking forward to getting to know some of my fellow Spanish learners here! :)

(I'll be doing this at the same time as studying German...)
1 person has voted this message useful

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3899 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 2 of 12
12 May 2014 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
And again, hello Alex,
it's nice to see that you're studying Spanish as well.. I do this too at the moment ;) And I like to read a log from the beginning. Most of the other logs already have many pages to go through until one can give a helpful comment.
At this moment I just want to wish you good luck on you Spanish journey and welcome to the forums :D

AlexKastani
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 3692 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 3 of 12
12 May 2014 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Komma wrote:
And again, hello Alex,
it's nice to see that you're studying Spanish as well.. I do this too at the moment ;)
And I like to read a log from the beginning. Most of the other logs already have many
pages to go through until one can give a helpful comment.
At this moment I just want to wish you good luck on you Spanish journey and welcome to
the forums :D

Hello again, Komma! How long have you been studying Spanish? Thanks again! I'll keep an
eye on your Spanish log as well!

AlexKastani
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 3692 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 4 of 12
13 May 2014 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
Well, today I spent about 45 minutes on Platiquemos, units 19 (for review) and 20. I'm pretty sure I'm now
ready to move past unit 20. For any of you who have used or are using Platiquemos, when do you decide
you're ready to move on to the next unit? I generally move on when I understand everything that is said in
the unit, and when I know how and why to conjugate most everything. At the same time, I usually can't do
it quite fast enough for the prompts. Should I slow down and wait 'till I can answer correctly very quickly,
or do you all think it's ok to move on once I know the material well enough to answer correctly, even if it
takes me a couple seconds?

Moving on to unit 21 tomorrow :) looking forward to it!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3984 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 5 of 12
13 May 2014 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
I think that you have to strike a balance between automaticity and interest! Personally, I wasn't able to repeat the
same unit more than a few times without getting bored. For me, boredom is the evil nemesis of language learning. I
would say that it's ok to move on…but it really depends on you!

I really liked the Notes in Spanish podcasts. Now that I've finished them, I really miss them!

AlexKastani
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 3692 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 6 of 12
13 May 2014 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
I think that you have to strike a balance between automaticity and
interest! Personally, I wasn't able to repeat the
same unit more than a few times without getting bored. For me, boredom is the evil
nemesis of language learning. I
would say that it's ok to move on…but it really depends on you!

I really liked the Notes in Spanish podcasts. Now that I've finished them, I really
miss them!

Thanks for the feedback, Stelle! I think you're right. As I mentioned in my previous
post, I am indeed moving on haha :) I think that my less than ideal speed of response
has less to do with understanding the content than it does with still just being
somewhat hesitant to speak. So, I think hesitating is what I'll need to work on, not
the unit itself :)

I agree! Notes in Spanish is great! I really like listening to Marina speak. She has an
extremely pleasant accent. I'm going to be sad when I'm done listening to them haha :)
Fortunately the advanced NiS has almost 100 episodes! When you went through them, did
you get the actual notes/pdfs too?

AlexKastani
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 3692 days ago

22 posts - 24 votes

Message 7 of 12
14 May 2014 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Got home a bit too late to update my log last night, but I did about an hour of work on
unit 21 of Platiquemos and didn't find it all too difficult. There is the occasional new
word, but mostly it's pretty straightforward. The only exception was the section about
extended stems in certain words (like est-UV-e for "estar" and tra-J-e in "traer"). For
those of you that are further along or have done this section, are those the only two
words I have to worry about extending like this??

I've listened to unit 21 again today for about 45 minutes and will probably move on to
unit 22 tomorrow.

Also, I listened to a couple Notes in Spanish advanced podcasts yesterday and 3 (so far)
today.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3984 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 8 of 12
14 May 2014 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
AlexKastani wrote:

I agree! Notes in Spanish is great! I really like listening to Marina speak. She has an
extremely pleasant accent. I'm going to be sad when I'm done listening to them haha :)
Fortunately the advanced NiS has almost 100 episodes! When you went through them, did
you get the actual notes/pdfs too?

No. I was committed to learning Spanish without spending any money (well, aside from novels, that is). I think that
the PFDs could have been really useful, though. But it would have changed the way that I listened, since I listened to
NIS in the car. Having the PDFs would have turned it into yet more desk work.

Edited by Stelle on 14 May 2014 at 11:37pm

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version