Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3957 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French

Message 1 of 5
12 May 2014 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
It's about time I have a go at keeping a language log. I've never done this before, so
please be easy on me. :)

I'm a linguistics university student with all the time in the world to learn languages
so I'm on a mission to improve my time management and squeeze in more study. I will use
this log to record both my goals and achievements, and hopefully make it interesting
enough for people to read. I'm a native English speaker living in an English speaking
country with monolingual family and friends, and a university life where I can't avoid
using English. This is perhaps my biggest challenge of all, and one of my short to
medium term goals is to use as little English as possible.

I've written down on a piece of paper all the languages I'm genuinely interested in
learning. Besides English and German, they are in no particular order: Hungarian,
Italian, French, Turkish, Japanese, Russian, Maori, Finnish, Latin, Old English,
Danish.

Realistically I can't learn them all at once, so at the moment I'm keeping my focus on
four: German, Hungarian, Italian and Turkish. I'm at various levels with all, and I
have different goals for each. When I'm feeling confident in a routine, I might add in
the odd study of another language or two.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gunshy
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3957 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes

Message 2 of 5
12 May 2014 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
I guess I'll start with my German. :)

German

I'm pleased with my current level. I've only been learning the language for two to three
years now in total (it's my first language. I'm a rather late comer to language
learning). Most of my reading for pleasure is done so in German, and with an abundance of
German TV online, it doesn't take me long to find something interesting to watch. I ought
to take part in some of the reading challenges that are done here in this forum too.

Where do I go wrong? I don't use my active skills an awful lot. I'm still at the stage of
trying to soak up as much of the language as possible passively.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gunshy
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3957 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes

Message 3 of 5
12 May 2014 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
I'm an absolute beginner with Turkish, and I hope to get into some study using the FSI
course once I've gotten back into a healthy language learning routine (my lifestyle as
a student has been very chaotic lately!). I decided to pick up Turkish due to its
similarities with Hungarian, and the fact there's a lot of Turkish people in German
speaking countries. No matter what other people say, I actually find the language quite
pretty too. :)

This morning I completed the 8th Assimil Italian lesson. I already know the language
fairly well (years of Latin at school helped), but as I've taken a long break from
Italian I thought redoing the Assimil course would do me some good. I'm doing the same
with Hungarian too. At the moment I'm upto lesson 22, and although I find each lesson
rather easy, it's helping me use my Hungarian elsewhere confidently (e.g. when reading
the news).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gunshy
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3957 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes

Message 4 of 5
14 May 2014 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
I've decided to abandon Assimil Hungarian and just focus on diving into native materials
instead (reading e-books and watching various shows I find on the internet). My small
vocabulary size is noticeable, and it's quite frustrating having to relearn words I used
to know. I'm going to experiment with different vocabulary learning methods and see what
works best. But it's also the niggly words (so many in Hungarian!) that I'm struggling
with too. I guess if I continue to read everyday, they'll slowly come back to me (being
optimistic as usual!). I'm becoming impatient though!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3709 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 5 of 5
14 May 2014 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
Many change methods in order to find what suits them. Good luck with your languages. I hope to read about your turkish methods for studying as well :)

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version