Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4693 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 33 of 72
12 December 2013 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
You can get exercises for Learning Irish from Nancy Stenson's homepage. She's an experienced teacher of Irish and has created these exercises in order to provide practice for students who are working with the book.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3894 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 34 of 72
14 December 2013 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
Indíritheach wrote:
Portuguese is next, I think...I want to wait until I'm at an advanced level of Spanish. I
met one of my daughter's friend's parents from Brazil, so I've got someone to talk to, and Portugal has always
interested me. And Assimil just released El portugués de Brasil a few months ago so we'll see!

Going back a bit. You really must be my language learning twin. I too am planning on Portuguese next after
"finishing" Spanish (as in getting to around a B2 level where I can maintain and make progress through more
casual exposure). I haven't made the big decision between European or Brazilian Portuguese though - may
opt for Brazilian due to the sheer numbers of speakers overall and near me.

Working on Lesson 10 of Learning Irish now, though I've no where near mastered what I've learned thus far,
but I manage to surprise myself sometimes with my ability to do the translation exercises. I'm going to contact
the Irish Language Hunters teacher/consultant to figure out ideas for how to transform the lessons into
digestable chunks that I can practice to fluency. I hope I can do it because it's such a great resource but it's
so dense and doesn't give you much practice (either through exercises or through repetition in future
lessons).

Yeah, we do have very similiar interests! Well, I'm actually not sure at this point which language I would want to tackle next, because although Portuguese is definitely on the radar, I'm leaning more towards French because of its utility (Assimil courses not published in English or Spanish) and because virtually every resource I own (TV, movies, books, etc) has been dubbed/translated into French, giving me loads of potential practice. But my goal for right now is to get to 200 hours of Irish before I start another language, and I'm only at 110 hours.
1 person has voted this message useful

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3894 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 35 of 72
16 December 2013 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
So since the 6 Week Challenge is over, I'm going to start posting every day at least to keep track of the number of hours of Irish I have studied. My goal is to reach 200 hours before I start up a new language (most likely French). So far today I studied 1 hour and 30 minutes of Buntús Cainte and Learning Irish, and watched about 1 hour and a half of Irish television. So that leaves me at (113h30/200).

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3894 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 36 of 72
17 December 2013 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
With the three hours I put in yesterday, and the hour I just put in this morning, I'm at (117h30/200)
Learning Irish (Lesson 20/36)
Buntús Cainte (Lesson 59/60)

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3894 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 37 of 72
18 December 2013 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
Two hours this morning, so I'm at (119h30/200)
Learning Irish (20/36)
Buntús Cainte (60/60)

With all of this free time on my hands, it's getting REALLY hard not to start French already!

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3894 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 38 of 72
19 December 2013 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
So far I'm at (124h30/200)
Learning Irish (21/36)
Teach Yourself Irish Grammar (6/22)

Still a long, long way to go but little by little I feel like I'm making real progress.

Edited by Indíritheach on 20 December 2013 at 1:16am

2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6758 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 39 of 72
19 December 2013 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Which grammar topics have you covered so far, and which do you find most difficult to grasp?

Why I'm asking is because I'm taking a university course and get assignments each week. While Irish has its peculiarities to start with, I'm having a particularly hard time with all kinds of adjectives (nom sing, nom pl, gen sing, gen pl). All became a bit clearer after the Monday lesson, but I'm still struggling A LOT.

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3894 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 40 of 72
19 December 2013 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Which grammar topics have you covered so far, and which do you find most difficult to grasp?

Why I'm asking is because I'm taking a university course and get assignments each week. While Irish has its peculiarities to start with, I'm having a particularly hard time with all kinds of adjectives (nom sing, nom pl, gen sing, gen pl). All became a bit clearer after the Monday lesson, but I'm still struggling A LOT.

The hardest part is vocabulary...it's so alien and you have to memorize the plural forms with the singular, something I am not accustomed to. I also have trouble with some of the tenses of the 'tá' verb, using the copula correctly, and a few other odds and ends. The possive adjectives drive me nuts too, and the emphatic forms. It's getting better though, I just wish the forms used in Learning Irish and Teach Yourself Irish Grammar weren't so different. But I have noticed that lately when I work on the translation exercises from Ó Siadhail's text I'm less stressed and the answers are coming much easier, so maybe there is hope after all.

Edited by Indíritheach on 19 December 2013 at 11:49pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version