SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6758 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 49 of 72
28 December 2013 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
Maith thú! I'm still recovering from this week's assignment on adjectives (nom sing, nom pl, gen sing, gen pl), as well as the cold I got on Christmas Eve.
1 person has voted this message useful

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3894 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 50 of 72
29 December 2013 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
IR
So I'm at (146h/200h), mostly because I discovered the weirdest Irish comedy, CU Burn, on TG4. It's listed under "Drama" but it's actually very funny in a dark humor sort of way...definitely worth a look if you're interested.

SP
Todavía estoy mirando Desaparecida, charlando con mis amigos y compañeros de trabajo, y leyendo Harry Potter y la cámara secreta.

FR
That's right...I've re-thought things and I think I'm going to tackle French next. Why? Well, for one thing the vast amount of resources available. For another, there are a few Assimil courses I'd like to tackle in the near future that are published only in French. And last, and most importantly, my ex-wife recently took advantage of Schoenhof's after-Christmas sale and bought me a copy of Assimil El francés sin esfuerzo Super Pack! So I'm pretty excited about that.

Sin an mbéid faoi anois!

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5240 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 51 of 72
29 December 2013 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
I saw that CU Burn show and noticed that it seemed to be preventing Aifric from updating. It looks older and the production values aren't as good so I didn't stick past the beginning of the first episode but if it's worth it I'll try it out more (not that I ought to be picky with a language such as Irish).

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3894 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 52 of 72
30 December 2013 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
I saw that CU Burn show and noticed that it seemed to be preventing Aifric from updating. It looks older and the production values aren't as good so I didn't stick past the beginning of the first episode but if it's worth it I'll try it out more (not that I ought to be picky with a language such as Irish).

Yeah, I was sort of mad about that because the last episode of Aifirc they posted was one that my daughter and I really liked. But CU Burn gets a little better. It's dark humour (It is centered around a crematorium), a lot of it is absurd, but I found some of the bits pretty funny. Watch the first three episodes...at least you'll be getting some Irish practice in, cibé ar bith

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3894 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 53 of 72
13 January 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Back to my old log. So my plans are twofold: buckle-down and improve my Spanish speaking skills and a few points of grammar (mainly verb tenses I don't use too often.) I know the key here is to speak as often as possible, so I'm going to write as much as possible and find some language partners, maybe on italki or something that want to practice as well.

Second part of my plan: get to an intermediate level of Irish by year's end.. An bhfuil seans 'am? Níl mé cinnte, ach beidh mé ag iarraidh! I'll also try speaking as much as possible, with my daughter and possibly online with language partners.

So thus far, I am at 176h30/200 with Irish and chugging right along. I'll post more later this evening after some more language study!

Edited by Indíritheach on 13 January 2014 at 1:02pm

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3894 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 54 of 72
14 January 2014 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
Something weird is going on...suddenly, as if by magic, Irish is starting to make sense. Well...at least, most of it is! (that convoluted number system in Lesson 25 of
Learning Irish...I'll never forgive the Gaels for that!) I've noticed that words and sentences are starting to come together...rather chaotically at first, of course, but more and more song lyrics make sense...listening to the news or the radio is not such a chore...I don't recall when Spanish went from gibberish to 90 percent clear most of the time, but I hope I'm on te right track here!

179h30/200

Edited by Indíritheach on 14 January 2014 at 1:13pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5240 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 55 of 72
14 January 2014 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
I remember the exact day when French on the TV suddenly all became comprehensible to me as if by magic. It was an ethereal experience. Now, of course, that isn't to say I never experienced trouble with oral comprehension again, far from it. But it was definitely a big moment. At times I think it's impossible for Irish but then I manage to get going and notice little things here and there. Slowly but surely I'll make sense of this language.

Indíritheach wrote:
Something weird is going on...suddenly, as if by magic, Irish is starting to make sense. Well...at least, most of it is! (that convoluted number system in Lesson 25 of
Learning Irish...I'll never forgive the Gaels for that!) I've noticed that words and sentences are starting to come together...rather chaotically at first, of course, but more and more song lyrics make sense...listening to the news or the radio is not such a chore...I don't recall when Spanish went from gibberish to 90 percent clear most of the time, but I hope I'm on te right track here!

178/200

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3894 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 56 of 72
15 January 2014 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
IR
182/200

Finishing up Lesson 26, which covers the past tense of regular verbs, which is a surprisingly easy tense - you just take the root of the verb, lenite it, and presto! So for "he cleaned", we have the root glan, lenite it, and we get ghlan sé. For words that start with a vowel or the letter f, a d' is added to the beginning of the word, so for "he played", you take the root imir, and it becomes d'imir sé.

Lesson 26 also covers the preposition i, which joins with the definite article to become sa(sanbefore vowels and snain the plural).

Slan go fóill!

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version