Groupie
FinlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3900 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 1 of 15
06 November 2013 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
I decided I would start a log here to hopefully see any progress made first hand, and to a lesser extent, to witness how much Swedish I actually get to study.

I do not currently use a work book, however when the library has another copy of "Suomen mestari" available I will start to use that. I currently depend on memrise for vocab after discovering it has a reasonably good list of the first 3000 words for Finnish. I am also using it for a list of adjectives, I think I'm on 200 or so at the moment, on this particular list.

I also use Byki for vocab, seeing as it was the very first tool I got for Finnish and I credit it for providing me with the basics. I seriously doubt my recall and some of my pronunciation would be as good as it currently is if I had never used Byki.

Oh, and while I'm out and about I make sure that I have my flash cards with me. I bought a game here (not sure of the name) but it has flash cards with three words English (one side) and three words Finnish (the other). I carry 40 with me at a time until I know all of them by heart, then I replace them with another 40.

I end up watching Salatut elämät almost every day - even though the plot is so transparent you don't even need to know Finnish to understand it.

I try to ensure I have my mp3 player with me if I'm out walking, I usually listen to stuff like PMMP, Happoradio (I actually saw them in concert - I was quite happy) Uniklubi, TikTak (You can laugh if you want :P)

I dabble in Swedish, though sometimes I find it easier to say something in Swedish than in Finnish. I don't study it as such, just if I have extra time, and I also read a Swedish book before bed - just a chapter per night, mind.

I'll add more details to this later.

Edited by Chris13 on 10 January 2014 at 12:27pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6758 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 15
06 November 2013 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Which book is it? How long have you been stuyding Swedish?

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4102 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 15
06 November 2013 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
You're on the right track. I always found the language in Salatut elämät kind of... awkward. It's too proper for spoken situations haha.

If you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

I always try to promote Tenhi as some of the finest Finnish music there is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ShRM7mHZY
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chris13
Groupie
Joined 3900 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 

Message 4 of 15
07 November 2013 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Which book is it? How long have you been stuyding Swedish?

Ah, I missed that out. My bad. I'll try and answer in Swedish so you can see how bad I am.
jag läser en bok heter "Pirates of the Caribbean - Cortes svärd" och jag nu på kapitel elva.Jag studerar svenska för två vekor men jag hitta ord lättare att koma ihåg an finska.

Also, during writing that and also elsewhere on the forum, I've noticed that if I use a special character it will sometimes auto- correct it without the character. I wrote "läser" and when I pressed the space bar after finishing the word, it turned to "laser". Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Henkkles: Kiitos paljon! Ymmärrän paljon, mutta joka ihminen en ymmärrä ollenkaan. (I'm not a hundred percent sure if that was right or not, I hope it was understandable still.)

Edited by Chris13 on 07 November 2013 at 12:35pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6758 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 15
07 November 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Which browser are you using? Do you have a built-in spell checker? I've never experience auto-correction.

Chris13
Groupie
Joined 3900 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 

Message 6 of 15
07 November 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
I just use internet explorer. It only tries to correct it once, if I go back and rewrite it it'll let it stand the second time. I don't have any auto-correction features unless IE has them included. I guess it's no big deal, I just have to pay closer attention before submitting anything.

*Edit: I have done my usual memrise tasks today in Finnish. I am focusing on adjectives and also this new list I found which has a thousand and ten most commonly used written Finnish words.

I also changed my portable flash cards, so I use another 30 now that I'm familiar with the previous ones I'd been carrying with me.
I might do some Byki shortly to recap on words that might be listed as "stale" by now.

As usual I plan on reading my usual chapter of POTC tonight for my Swedish side of things.

Edited by Chris13 on 07 November 2013 at 5:36pm

Chris13
Groupie
Joined 3900 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 

Message 7 of 15
13 November 2013 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
I've still been doing my usual. The main difference was that I was finally able to pick up a copy of Suomen mestari, and I realised that there's now a second version of the book which I believe was released this year.

I also found both of the above in pdf file, so I'm hoping that if I do invest in my kindle I'll be able to use them on it.

Memrise is going okay, the problem I have is that I cannot always focus on the words I want to. There's also the usual problem that all Finnish resources have...they sometimes have quite drastic mistakes. For example, it had listed the word for stale in a list that was to do with food. That's fine, at least it would have been if it was the word that was used for stale food and not stale air, which I've been told you could never use it when describing food.
I still like memrise though, I just have to be vigilant and check the lists before I start learning them.

I've done quite a few pages of Suomen mestari already, though to be fair I already knew that stuff. I'm just going to keep working through it in order and then start the second book.

I took out a storybook too, this is called "Animorphs" which I watched on television when I was quite young. I try to take out books that have a long series so that I know it will last me a long time.

Swedish has been going okay. The POTC book has been completed which was quite cool as I understood a lot more than I anticipated. I wanted to get out the second in the series but somehow couldn't remember where I got it from >_< I think the layout of the library had changed a lot though.

During the day I try to mix it up and speak a little Swedish and Finnish if I get the chance. I have no friends here so that hardly ever happens, but there's the odd occasion.

I'll be leaving for my usual grocery trip shortly so that'll give me some time to listen to uniklubi as I walk there and back.

Chris13
Groupie
Joined 3900 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 

Message 8 of 15
19 November 2013 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
I was pleasantly surprised with my understanding of the book "animorphs" so far, and despite the fact I'm reading it in Finnish it managed to conjure up memories from a very long time ago watching the series.

Recently, I've started really pushing myself to speak Finnish more often, I've been reluctant to for a while because, as with most languages, it's not necessarily how difficult the pronunciation is but how forgiving the locals are. With English, especially here, I could hear someone completely butcher the pronunciation but I'd still be able to decipher the word without making the person feel like a stupid head, whereas I could make a very slight pronunciation error and suddenly it's incomprehensible... even though the recipient spent no time even trying to workout from context what it would most likely be. Still, I'm speaking more frequently now and just used to the fact that I could be close regardless.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the above but since speaking more I find I'm able to understand more content on the tv - with the exception of the old lady who came to salatut elämät recently, but I've been told she has a very northern dialect? - so that's a nice bonus.

As regards flash cards, I've been making tangible copies of the same cards I use online so as to reinforce anything learned. I've also made a lot more for Byki which I now use to "test" my understanding of new vocabulary I learn from memrise or elsewhere.

My text books are very helpful, it's amazing how different it is having something in book form in front of you instead of reading from the internet. A lot of the stuff I already knew but it is only now that I'm able to memorise the rules.

Swedish has unfortunately taken a break for now. I still review the words I already knew, and my understanding of written texts has not dwindled, so I'm not too worried for the moment. When I hit my next wall in Finnish I'll be sure to catch up again in Swedish.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version