Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3949 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 25 of 42
22 January 2014 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Oh ok. I also noticed you corrected the first sentence as "Es ist über 20 Tage her..."

I kinda know what her and hin meIch höre sie mir eine Stunde auf der Arbeit (während der Pause)
ann as far as woher (where from) and wohin (where to) but in most other uses I dont really
understand the meaning , this one included. Is it kinda meaning that its been about 20 days from
the last time or...?

With seperable prefixes, does the seperable part only go at the end of the phrase the main verb is
refering to? You wrote "Ich höre sie mir eine Stunde auf der Arbeit (während der Pause) an..." I
never know just how far at the end of a multiple clause sentence to place the prefix.
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4463 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 26 of 42
22 January 2014 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Tollpatchig wrote:

With seperable prefixes, does the seperable part only go at the end of the phrase the
main verb is
refering to? You wrote "Ich höre sie mir eine Stunde auf der Arbeit (während der Pause)
an..." I
never know just how far at the end of a multiple clause sentence to place the prefix.

At the end of the clause the main verb is the main verb of, the same place the past
participle would go if it were
written in perfect tense ("rechte Satzklammer" in the "Feldmodell" - if you want to
google it). Verbs get only separated in main clauses, so it's the end of
the current main clause, before any following subordinate clause. The
only problematic case would be if a relative clause occurs at the end of the main
clause, because then it's more of
a stylistic question whether the particle comes before or after the relative clause.

Edited by daegga on 22 January 2014 at 11:20pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4786 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 27 of 42
22 January 2014 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
Excellent explanation by daegga! The prefix normally comes at the end of the main clause, everything else would sound really complicated and somewhat old-fashioned. I would consider it bad or at least overcomplicated style to put the prefix at the end of the complete sentence, although some classical authors tend to do that.

Concerning "es ist 20 Tage her": That's just an idiom for saying "it has been 20 days". Germans don't really use the present perfect here. Maybe you can think of it as "20 days have passed" or "20 days are over", if that helps.

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3949 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 

Message 28 of 42
24 January 2014 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Can I use that idiom in any construct concerning time?

For example: Es ist 2 Wochen her, seit ich zu Walmart gegangen bin. Or: Es ist 30 Jahre her, seit seine Tochter mit ihm gesprochen hat.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4786 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 29 of 42
24 January 2014 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, you can do that.

But note that it sometimes sounds better to say "Es ist ... her, dass ich das getan habe". "Seit" often calls for the addition of "das letzte Mal" or "zum letzten Mal" ("for the last time"):

Es ist zwei Wochen her, seit ich das letzte Mal zu Walmart gegangen bin.
Es ist 30 Jahre her, seit seine Tochter zum letzten Mal mit ihm gesprochen hat.

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3949 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 

Message 30 of 42
05 February 2014 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Der esrten Post vom Februar!

Ich setze Anki wieder ein. Die Karten heissen: Conversation Connestors, Lower
Intermediate to Advanced Vokabln, und Verbs from Themen Aktuell 2. I have keine Ahnung
was Themen Aktuell 2 ist, aber das ist mir egal. Ich habe heute 125 Karten getan. Auch
habe ich viermal Podcasts zu meiner App hinzugefuegt. Sie heissen:

Kastenfisch <---- Ein Mann spricht ueber seinen normalen Leben.

Geek Stammtisch <---- Drei (oder so) Maenner sprechen ueber Computer und Technologie,
meistens Programming-Sprache wie Ruby on Rails und C.

Der Geschichtespodcast <---- Zwei Maenner sprechen ueber Geschichte (History) und haben
auch Interviews.

Maennerabend <---- Manche Maenner sprechen ueber Bier, Wein, und andere alkoholische
Getraenke. Ich glaube auch dass sie Prank-Anrufen machen.

Tatsaechlich kann ich die ganz nicht verstanden aber ich weiss dass sie sehr lustig
ist, (I can feel it!) so ich werde sie zuhoeren. Ich will so gern Maennerabend zu
verstehen, und auch ein Deutsche Podcast ueber Linux zu finden. Ich moechte mehr
darueber und Computern im Allgemein zu lernen.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3949 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 

Message 31 of 42
12 February 2014 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
Gestern habe ich zwei Filme von Amazon.de gekauft: Der Letzte Zug und Das Tagesbuch der
Anne Frank. Frueher habe ich 'Der Letzte Zug' auf Netflix angeschaut und diese Film ist
unbedingt toll! Spaeter werde ich etwas Filme von Hayao Miyazaki auf Deutsch kaufen. An
meiner Liste ist Howl's Moving Castle, Mein Nachbar Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, und
Spirited Away.

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3949 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 

Message 32 of 42
13 February 2014 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
Gestern, habe ich eine kleine Uebung mit meinem Freund aus Nordrhein-Westfalia (sp?).
Wir sprechen meist auf Deutsch aber manchmal hatte ich das English vor dem Deutsch zu
ersetzten. Alles im allem war es ziemlich gut, aber finde ich dass ich schnell wie ein
Muttersprachler zu reden versuche und dann mache ich viele Fehler und kann nicht das
richtige Wort oder die richtige Endung andenken. Trotzt alledem war Kai super geduldig
und nett. Früher habe ich ihn auf WKW getroffen.

Ich finde meine Podcasts super hilfreich für das Hörverständnis. However, I still have
trouble figuring out exactly what they're saying in the sense of putting the words I
hear into comprehensible sentences. I'm hoping that one day it'll just click but I'm not
completely sure that it will. I would love corrections on both my post if anyone is
willing to oblige.

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version