Joined 5789 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 41 of 107
31 December 2013 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
I have been a TAC participant in a row since 2009, so this makes 5 years of TAC participance without any dropouts. To have success with my language learning I don't need any TAC, but rather a high - quality VHS - Danish course in Düsseldorf and an excellent Norwegian tutor (= Skypie and correspondent).

And: HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014! (It's close to midnight now on the 31st of december 2013 here in Germany).

(EDIT) Meanwhile I have decided to quit the new TAC 2014. I have just started a new log without "TAC" written on it.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 01 January 2014 at 1:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4593 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 42 of 107
03 January 2014 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
Has the voting started?

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4801 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 43 of 107
03 January 2014 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
and an excellent Norwegian tutor (= Skypie and correspondent)

Actually, I have the same feeling about my languages... Still, I've finally given a try to TAC.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4810 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 44 of 107
03 January 2014 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
I think it has officially started, but someone will have to cast the first vote... Maybe it would be good to post a reminder for people to vote in all the team threads? I don't know. Last year not many voted, it was a little sad.

I'll definitely vote, but I won't get around to looking at all the teams until next week.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7098 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 45 of 107
03 January 2014 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
To make things a little easier to manage and tabulate, I'll try to make an external poll in the next day or so (probably something like Easypolls with a link).

Unfortunately the old girl here (i.e. this forum) is too clunky for this kind of thing :-/
3 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5924 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 46 of 107
03 January 2014 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Despite losing our team leader (and rather a lot of other members) in spring 2013, the following 6 members of Team Sakura 桜 were still in bloom by the end of TAC 2013:

g-bod - end of year summary
stifa - end of year summary
dampingwire - end of year summary
kujichagulia - end of year summary
yuhakko - end of year summary
kraemder - end of year summary

Prodigal children

These team members were only really active in spring 2013 but have returned with an update towards the end of the year:

Jaseur active until April - end of year summary
Woodsei active until April - end of year summary
Roycet active until Feb - end of year summary
mrwarper active until March - end of year summary

Logs no longer active

Brun Ugle - our greatly missed Team Leader! Last post in March
Takato - last post May
Rhadryn - last post April (with some beautiful charts)
benbassist - last post Feb
fmmarianicolon - last post Jan
internetalias - joined late Jan, last post Feb
Summer_Roll - joined late Jan, last post Feb
Kixi - active March to August
Ziloh - one post only
Quagles - one post only

Edited by g-bod on 04 January 2014 at 7:38pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

WoofCreature
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4468 days ago

80 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 47 of 107
03 January 2014 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Here's a list for Team Romulan. We too lost our team leader, Brun Ugle, but a few of us have continued posting in our own logs. I'm just going off of the logs linked on the first post of the team thread, so it's possible that I missed someone. I'm not sure when the cutoff is, so I'll post everyone who started a log, including the month of their last post.

Here's everyone who posted a year-end summary, or at least posted in December.

Spanky
liammcg
Luso
WoofCreature
Emily96

Here's the rest.

Travis.H, last update in October
Tsopivo, last update in October
fireballtrouble, last update in May
FireViN, last post in April
Brun Ugle, last update in March
Wort, last update in March
PistolPete, last update in February
CMTM, last update in January
Jax, last update in January
fmmarianicolon, last post in January
deadscreen, last update in December 2012
TheGreaterFool, last update in December 2012
joshkaasik, last update in December 2012
Cambyses, last update December 2012
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7098 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 48 of 107
04 January 2014 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
I would suggest:

One vote for best team
One vote for best individual - i.e. the best log of somebody who was not in a team, in recognition of the fact that not everybody had a team they could easily fit into
One vote for best overall log - anybody who made it to the end of the year is eligible on the strength of their own log, giving strong participants who ended up in a weak team the chance for recognition on the same footing as everybody else

I know there are plenty of people who have made exceptional and inspirational progress this year, and I can understand the sentiment to try and get as many of these recognised as possible. But I will say that at the end of the 2012 TAC, despite no chance of being declared a winner, I received a small number of kind messages from people who had followed my log without me being aware of it, and this kind of recognition, which had nothing to do with the vote, made me feel very warm indeed.

I have just created two polls based on the division Fasulye initially suggested.

- Vote for your favorite team

- Vote for your favorite individual TAC

Each person is allowed only one vote per poll, and there's a strict anti-cheating filter (it's supposedly tied to subnets meaning that if two members vote in good faith under ultimately the same IP as could be the case when using the modem in the same building, easypoll may reject the votes as cheating) I'm thinking of closing the poll sometime in the second half of this month with the exact date to be determined in discussions here. It doesn't matter to me if it'll be on January 15th, 2014 at 23:59 GMT or February 1st, 2014 at 0:00 GMT. All that I need is a date on which we agree.

---

It's trickier (or perhaps tedious as hell) to set up a poll to vote for one's favorite log in the TAC since there are as many choices as there are participants.

Here's my suggestion to get some semblance of order in choosing 2013's best overall log, regardless of whether the log is part of TAC or not.

1) I can start a thread in this forum that's open to everyone's input for a certain amount of time (e.g. 7 days) with each person posting in the thread allowed to nominate only 3 members based on their evaluation of their logs' entries in 2013 (it doesn't matter if one would nominate Iversen who keeps one log or Solfrid Cristin who makes a new log for each year - just consider the log that's relevant for 2013)

2) Once the 7 days have elapsed, and the 3 choices of each person been declared, then I can draw up a list of the nominees for a poll. To keep the poll from being too long, perhaps we can draw up the list taking the top 10 (or maybe 15?) nominees based on the number of nominations made in the thread

3) I will create a poll with those 10 (or 15?) nominees.

4) The winner of best overall log for 2013 is decided by the one who gets the most votes in the poll with the 10 (or 15?) nominees. I reiterate that this winner need not be part of TAC, but I don't see anything strange about a winner of TAC for best team also getting this individual recognition. It's a bit like how a sports team can win a championship with each player getting a championship ring, but any player can get the MVP award even if he/she isn't on the team.that won the championship.

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version