United States
Joined 4461 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Korean

Message 1 of 8
02 January 2014 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
Welcome to my TAC 2014 Log!

Last year I jumped in kind of unsure I wanted to accomplish and therefore accomplished
very little. This year though, I plan on making some real progress in both Korean and
French.

Korean
So right now I have a very limited knowledge of Korean in general except the common
phrases found in kdramas. This year, my main goal is to work on vocabulary. I'm going
to aim for 500 new words. I also want to learn sentence structures and verbs plus work
on reading hangul faster. As the year progresses I'll try to switch out some English
words for the Korean ones I've learned and by the end of the year I'll have full
sentences!

French
This is my third year taking French in school and I've been on a plateau since the end
of my first year so I've decided it's time to really try and reach proficiency in
French. I plan on reading much more to work on sentence structure and vocabulary. Also
I'm going to listen to more things in French to gain better pronunciation. At the end
of each week I'm going to try to write out my progress in French.It will probably be
full of mistakes at the beginning, but hopefully by the end of the year it will be much
more understandable.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4810 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 2 of 8
02 January 2014 at 1:41pm | IP Logged 
I wish you a successful year of language study!

For French, I recommend trying to use some native materials or graded readers. That's what helped my English take off after three years of studying it at school.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kami
Groupie
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 

Message 3 of 8
03 January 2014 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, and same to you!

I will definitely keep that in mind.I actually decided to pick up a book in French and
read through it, even though I'm quite unsure of what I'm reading at some points haha!
Still, my vocabulary is already improving.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4810 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 4 of 8
03 January 2014 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
It's part of the method not to know what you're reading some of the time ;) As long as that doesn't demotivate you and you continue you will improve with everything you read, until you understand it all.

What resources are you using for your Korean study?

Kami
Groupie
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 

Message 5 of 8
05 January 2014 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
I think I'll use TTMIK the most, but besides that, I plan on using Anki. I'm also going
to try out the other resources I found/got from the resources on the team page like Click
Korean and the children's section of Daum and King Sejong Institute.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4810 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 6 of 8
05 January 2014 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Sounds like a good plan! :)

Kami
Groupie
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 

Message 7 of 8
01 February 2014 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
So i'm back with a post before January ends! It's been a horrifically busy month so I
didn't work much on my Korean.For French however, I dedicated more time this month to
it than I've had in a while. I kinda had no choice since I was taking exams and French
was one of them, but still, it felt good to make progress in at least one language!

For February, I'm going to continue to focus on my french, namely in learning common
phrases, vocabulary and the different verb tenses (passe compose and l'imparfait is
pretty awful right now haha). In Korean i'm going to start up with TTMIK again. I'm
aiming for a least a lesson a day.

And also, I can't end this post with out mentioning the new resource I came across this
month, Duolingo! It's pretty amazing, and their working on a Korean course right now so
hopefully I can start using it for Korean when it's complete!

Kami
Groupie
United States
Joined 4461 days ago

55 posts - 62 votes 

Message 8 of 8
20 March 2014 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
It's been a while... In retrospect, I wonder if I set my (relatively low) bar too high
for this TAC. I have literally spent zero time language learning. Not even Duolingo
anymore. I do still have French class everyday and I watch Kdramas when I can but I have
spent a lot less time than I would have liked on focusing on Korean and French,
particularly Korean. For now, I think I can only focus on school work (no one was lying
about junior year), but when summer comes, I'll renew my dedication!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version