Netherlands
Joined 3896 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 33
22 February 2014 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Hi all!
After some month, good successes (remarkable improvements in my spoken English and
French) and some flop (Dutch), experimentation and a lot of reading, I found myself in
the last two days thinking hardly about language learning. I compared this beautiful
activity with other activities I approached during my whole life, I eventually used
concepts from mathematics and software engineering to make a model about language
learning. I try to explain using the less words possible.

Experience 1: playing piano. One person listens the Arabesque of Debussy and decides
the he wants to learn how to play it. Truth #1: this song isn't impossible to play.
Many people can do it. Truth #2: if he never plaid piano before, it is impossible to
play it. When studying piano, a student studies a great number of exercises, technique,
music reading, repertoire and so on, increasing during time the difficulty in order to
achieve many milestones like agility, hands indipendence, reading, expressivity etc.
Isolating only one aspect doesn't allow to know the whole piano playing but when
studying an aspect also others are involved. At a certain point the student will be
able to approach naturally the Arabesque of Debussy or pieces even a lot more
difficult.

Experience 2: running. I don't have to convince you that if you never run you cannot
running the marathon :) But running is also part of the basics of almost all sports
training.

Experience 3: writing software: it is more or less like piano learning.

Experience 4: singing. Same that piano learning.

I can continue endlessly. Everytime I need to learn how to do something, I never had a
specific target and studied how to do only that. I always had to learn the foundations
with specific exercises that aim to train complex aspect in isolation.

In language learning, this usually doesn't happen. There are several valid reasons for
this, most of all because usually the need is to learn a specific language directly.
What I want to do, instead, is to train my language learning process. Polyglots learn
really quickly languages because their learning process is trained after having
studying lots of languages. So, first point is to isolate specific aspects of language
learning. From my readings and my brief experience they are:
1) learning grammar
2) acquiring vocabulary
3) memorizing idioms
4) learning the phonology
5) learning the writing system

When learning grammar you are also acquiring some vocabulary, same when memorizing
idioms; when learning the writing system, usually but with exceptions (like Chinese
languages, for example) you're also learning the phonology. For what concerns me, the
most difficult activities are learning grammar, writing system and phonology, while
acquiring vocabulary and idioms is just a mechanical work of memorization. Also, there
is an important general order in learning a language that is writing system first, then
grammar.

Therefore, this is the concept: I will train my learning process with challenges of
increasing difficulty. I will do research in order to being able to classify the
difficulties of grammars, writing systems etc. and I will work on them for pre-
established amount of time that I like to call "iterations". I will log also the time
spent on them.

Edited by tristano on 28 February 2014 at 12:22am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3896 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 2 of 33
22 February 2014 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
This post is reserved for iteration summaries.

1) Toki Pona + Devanagari + English grammar (from February 22 to March 22)
Useful material:
Toki Pona:
tokipona.net
bknight0.myweb.uga.edu
tokipwnage.webs.com

Edited by tristano on 28 February 2014 at 12:22am

1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3896 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 3 of 33
22 February 2014 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
I will start study in each iteration a grammar and a writing system.

For the first iteration that ends on March 22, I decided to study Toki Pona, a
minimalistic constructed language to express feelings. Since the language is so minimal,
studying the grammar doesn't take 6 week so I will try to learn the whole language.

About the writing system, I will announce it after some research today or tomorrow :)

Edited by tristano on 26 February 2014 at 11:56pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6446 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 33
22 February 2014 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Yay toki pona! toki pona li toki pona :)

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3896 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 5 of 33
23 February 2014 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
:)))

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4237 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 6 of 33
23 February 2014 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
From what i can understand it seems you want to get a sort linguistic knowledge , which can be an
interesting thing and to some degree can also help you learn languages . Nevertheless ,if you want to
improve your language learning skilks , in my opinion the best way is simply to learn languages . Learning
a language is above all a subconcious process , being aware of certain patterns can certainley help , but
one thing is being aware of certain structures and patterns another thing is to be able to use them and
recognize them while listening and reading . To give you an example you can know that russian has six
cases , verbal aspects etc etc , concepts that are not so difficult to understand theoratically, but they
recquire lots of time to have a decent command of . here is where the subconscious process comes into
play . Maybe you could find interesting to check   krashen's comprehensible input theory. To conclude ,i
think that your plan can be very interesting from a linguistic perspective , go for it if it is what you are
intersted in , but overall i do no think it will necessarily enhance your learning skill, which again , as far as i

can understand, involves mainly the subconcious .

Edited by albysky on 23 February 2014 at 1:37pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7054 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 7 of 33
23 February 2014 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
I think you learn more by doing and experience than by meta-learning. I think of meta-learning as helpful
when it is on top of practical experience. If you have been in the work world for some time, you will realize
there are those who know what they are doing and how to do it, and some who wouldn't be able to do it if
they had to, but are in a position to give orders. I would liken the second individual to the meta-learner. Even
if you've never worked before, you may have observed this by watching politicians.

I'm with albysky though. A lot of language learning is below the radar. Learning grammar and the IPA may
help. It that pleases you, go for it!

Edited by luke on 23 February 2014 at 1:28pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3896 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 8 of 33
23 February 2014 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
Hi @albysky and @luke,
   thank you for your inputs.

I agree with you when you say that the language themselves are learned more by day to day experience.
Indeed, a golden rule that I gave myself is to not experimenting with my target languages. The meta-learning I'm
planning serves to refine my abilities and boost my confidence on specific aspects without encountering failures on
target languages and acquiring transversal linguistic competences that can help me along the way (if not give myself
the chance to work with a lot of different languages for the love of the new toy).
For what concerns my target languages, I will learn them by experience. But since I'm a software engineer,
something that pleases myself a lot is to understand how things work under the hood, divide in small pieces and
reassemble them, indeed I don't recommend to do this to other people.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version