Diglot
United States
Joined 4645 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 25 of 33
28 February 2014 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Hey Tristano! I love reading through your ever-rotating roster of studies.

Quick question for clarity - do you still consider yourself an active member of Team Dutch? Or would you like to be
put on a kind of "retired soldiers" list in the team thread? :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3989 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 26 of 33
01 March 2014 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Hi!
Well, good question :)
Actually, by studying English, French and Afrikaans I'm kinda still studying Dutch ;) But I'm not for now studying
actively Dutch anymore and it is difficult to me in this moment to follow the Dutch team and its members... There is
an option "soldiers in holidays?" :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6539 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 27 of 33
01 March 2014 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
You can be an observer :)

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3989 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 28 of 33
01 March 2014 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
What does an observer exactly?

(I just discovered that the afrikaans deck that I'm approaching is actually 5200 cards also reversed for a total of
10400, when I finished I guess I knew a lot about the language heheh)

Edited by tristano on 01 March 2014 at 10:28am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6539 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 29 of 33
01 March 2014 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
It's pretty much a "soldier on holidays", though it's best if you can read your teammates' logs and comment sometimes.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3989 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 30 of 33
01 March 2014 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
Sounds nice, I can try :)

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3989 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 31 of 33
04 March 2014 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Ok, if I write notes about everything I study I will never finish :D
Anyway, most of the rules that I learned since now about English grammar don't even resemble to be rules :)
The major part of my doubts are about the verb system and other are more about how much vs how many, where to
use at, to, from, by, in, into, the since vs for, any vs every, small things but still things that I can fix. I use them
correctly most of the times but still I'm never sure because I never studied the grammar properly. After, the huge
stream of nouns and adjective without any preposition of any genre, feature that is typical of English and I never saw
in any other language since now. To finish, more advanced stuff that I don't even know to not knowing.
I'll never finish for this iteration, however I have different plans for the next. I can start another language, maybe one
between norwegian and esperanto. Or I can dedicate the whole month to French to accumulate a great amount of
hours to go to the next level and use the free language slot to study specifically grammar. That would make
definitely sense but it is too much reasonable and therefore the risk is to go into boredom... Maybe I can do
something really stupid like studying Catalan (nothing against the language, just risky if I'm studying French) :P

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3989 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 32 of 33
11 March 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
I change too fast.
I started to study German that is a target language to me so I have to refine my goals
in this laboratory section.

Point number 1: I will not study scripts until I will start to work with the language
that it's using it. For the moment I wait with Devanagari until I start studying
Bengali.

Point number 2: I stop studying Afrikaans vocabulary since I don't want it interferes
with German.

What is happening now: I lost very soon the motivation in studying English grammar, so
I can organize myself to do it in a scheduled way with an extablished planning. Right
now I have the urgency to study French grammar for the test of this month to pass to B1
course.

What will I do for the next iteration: I want to start Latin, but I'm quite sure that
doing Esperanto before can be beneficial for it. In my opinion Latin is the key to
learn cases and Esperanto can be also a good support: now since I started German
understand the cases is absolutely mandatory; after I can commit myself to more
challenging languages like Icelandic for example. It would be nice to study Old English
after Latin. Let's see :)

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version