kimb1
United States
Joined 3864 days ago

12 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 11
28 February 2014 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Hi! I've been lurking here for a while, and I decided to start a learning log!

Here are the the learning methods I've using right now:

1) German community education class: This class is really good! Our teacher does her best to refrain from speaking English. It's a beginners class, so she does have to clarify important things in English occasionally. The other students are mostly very motivated.

2) Extr@ auf Deutsch videos: I found these videos on youtube. They're silly, but I enjoy them. They're just a bit beyond my level, so they're not overwhelming.

3) BYKI free flashcards: There's free demo flashcard program from BYKI (which I think is part of Transparent Language). There aren't a ton of cards, but it's enough to get me started. I like their approach.

There's a local German meetup that I hope to start attending in the next month or so. The meetup is supposed to be for all levels, beginner to fluent, but I'm still intimidated. I can't say much beyond basic introduction sentences, and I definitely can't comprehend much.   

3 persons have voted this message useful

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4466 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English

Message 2 of 11
01 March 2014 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
Herzlich willkommen bei HTLAL, ich wünsche Ihnen viel Glück mit Ihrem Deutschstudium !
1 person has voted this message useful

csidler
Diglot
Pro Member
Australia
chadsidler.com
Joined 4765 days ago

51 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 11
01 March 2014 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
I would recommend it might help your basic comprehension to get some knowledge of some words into you!

Memrise Basic 100 Words
German
would be good for you.

I find that the only way you will be able to understand what you hear is if you already know what the words mean!
2 persons have voted this message useful

kimb1
United States
Joined 3864 days ago

12 posts - 17 votes

Message 4 of 11
01 March 2014 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Danke fireballtrouble!

Csidler - I'll start working through those words on Memrise! Thank you for giving me the link.

kimb1
United States
Joined 3864 days ago

12 posts - 17 votes

Message 5 of 11
02 March 2014 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
I didn't get much study time in yesterday or this morning, but tonight I plan to work on the present perfect tense! I don't plan to master it tonight, but I just want to get an idea for how it generally works.

I remember when I was taking French classes in high school that, when I came across a word that I didn't know, sometimes it would turn out to be a verb that I did know, but in a tense I wasn't familiar with. I'd like just a general overview of the tense, so hopefully I can at least recognize that I'm looking at a verb when I see something that looks totally unfamiliar.

For instance, I just noticed in my book that gegessen is the past participle for essen. I don't think I would have recognized gegessen as a form of essen on my own, without having learned at least a little about the past perfect tense!

Also, I need to review the future tense and the vocabulary and sentences that I've learned so far.

2 persons have voted this message useful

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4744 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 

Message 6 of 11
02 March 2014 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
Hi Kim!

I'm at roughly the same level as you. I've found the Collins Easy Learning German Grammar
book to be really good. It's too much to read it in its eternity, as I attempted to. But
if you use it to supplement the explanation of each point that you come across in your
main book(s), it's great. I got mine cheap off Ebay.

Viel Glück!

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 4024 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 7 of 11
03 March 2014 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
Woa, I still have not been into'd to the future tense. You're making good progress
Kim!!!!

kimb1
United States
Joined 3864 days ago

12 posts - 17 votes

Message 8 of 11
06 March 2014 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Woa, I still have not been into'd to the future tense. You're making good progress
Kim!!!!

Our book does introduce new verb tenses quickly. We just covered the Present Perfect Tense in class. It's a conversation class, so we didn't really spend much time on it. I think that's why the book and the class seem to move fast - we don't stop and drill new grammar concepts like traditional classes would.

Anyway, I'm sure you know much, much more vocab and grammar than me. I think that the future tense is fairly simple - the correct present tense conjugation of werden, and then the infinitive of the verb. Of course, there could be complexities that I'm not aware of yet. It seems like there always are.

So far this week, I've mostly just reviewed my book. I also attended my class. It was the last class session, and I have to wait a month for the next session to start up. I hope I can stay focused and make some good progress on my own over the next month!

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version