chadsidler.com
Joined 4765 days ago

51 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 11
07 March 2014 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Have a look around and see if you can get your hands on "Michel Thomas German Foundation Course". It
will give you the confidence and structure to begin speaking with some confidence.
1 person has voted this message useful

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4744 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 10 of 11
16 March 2014 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
How is your studying going Kim?

I'm only just at the perfect present tense myself now.

How long does your adult education class last? Mine finishes a week tomorrow after 20
weeks. I'll really miss the group as it was an unusually close class- only 9 of us and we
had a lot of fun. I'll be signing up for the continuing class this September.

kimb1
United States
Joined 3864 days ago

12 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 11 of 11
17 March 2014 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
yantai_scot wrote:
How is your studying going Kim?

I'm only just at the perfect present tense myself now.

How long does your adult education class last? Mine finishes a week tomorrow after 20
weeks. I'll really miss the group as it was an unusually close class- only 9 of us and we
had a lot of fun. I'll be signing up for the continuing class this September.

My studying has been going OK. The perfect present tense is no fun - too many exceptions! But, I think I could probably recognize it if I saw it in writing. I'm happy about that.

My class was only 7 weeks long, and it's already done. They are offering a German 2 class that starts in mid-April, which I'm planning to take.

I miss my class, too! Even though it was meant as a class for beginners, about half of the students already knew some German for various reasons. That really motivated me to study and learn as much as possible!

I'm switching gears a little bit and using Teach Yourself Complete German. The book I was using for my class, German Conversation Demystified, was good as a supplement for my class. I don't think it's comprehensive enough for learning on my own, though. Teach Yourself seems to have a lot of listening drills. I like that, because I really struggle with listening comprehension.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version