25 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Russian*, Estonian*
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, French, English

Message 17 of 23
06 March 2014 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
What? No, these weren't pensioners. I've had lots of people address me as
ты. They were
somewhat older than me: in their 30s/40s perhaps. However like I said it's mostly in more
remote areas where everyone knows everyone else. (And I always started with Вы).

Many village people are not anxious about etiquette.
1 person has voted this message useful

ChrisBroholm
Triglot
Denmark
actualfluency.com
Joined 3771 days ago

17 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English, Danish*, German
Studies: Russian, Esperanto

Message 18 of 23
06 March 2014 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
IlonaS wrote:
ChrisBroholm wrote:

Let me try and form a sentence on the fly: I thought that I saw you, but it was not
you.
Ya dumal chto ya vui videl no nje buil vui. (comments?)

Я думал что я ВАС(or ТЕБЯ) видел, но это были не ВЫ(or TЫ)
Ya dumal chto ya VAS(or TEBYA) videl, no eto bili ne VI(or TI)

Form of "Вы=Vi" is used for:
- All strangers (In Russia, Ukraine and Belarus can not speak to strangers "Ti" It
sounds aggressive and rude.People can get angry )
- Your boss
- Your teachers and doctors

For other people may say "Ты=Ti"

Thanks for your activity in the thread, I really appreciate the help. I was quite
close! The only thing I need to remember is that the you in you are is not the same as
I saw you. So when the you acts as an object (indirect usually) you use VAS.

And Tebya is the same version, just for Ti then?

Ogrim wrote:
Just wanted to add the remark that Вы is also used when you address more
than one person (plural you).

Edit: And I do recommend you to learn to write and type in Cyrillic asap, transcription
into Latin script can be confusing. In order to facilitate typing, you can find online
keyboards like this which makes
it a lot more easier than switching your physical keyboard to Cyrillic.

You are so right of course. I blame my lazyness, but with the virtual keyboard I also
get to learn where the buttons would be on a russian keyboard, which could come in
handy later. Thanks for stopping by :-)

Fasulye wrote:

Jeg skal også deltage Polyglot Gatheringen i Berlin! Mit navn (Jolien S.) står på
listen. (EDIT) Fasulye

Jeg deltager også til Polyglot "Gatheringen" i Berlin! Mit navn (Jolien S.) står på
listen. (EDIT) Fasulye

Notes:
Gatheringen is very "danglish", I think you'd have to use a danish word like
konferencen, mødet, sammenslutningen or similar.

Fattig means poor, usually as in financially poor. This is an incredibly emotionally
loaded word in Danish, which makes your statement quite powerful - perhaps
unintentionally? If that is indeed the case then I can only say that I share your
predicament, as a full time unemployed student, the money definitely does not grow on
trees!

Ligemeget hvad, så ser jeg frem til at møde dig i Berlin :-)

Edited by Fasulye on 06 March 2014 at 3:51pm

IlonaS
Bilingual Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3772 days ago

25 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Russian*, Estonian*
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, French, English

Message 19 of 23
06 March 2014 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
ChrisBroholm wrote:
And Tebya is the same version, just for Ti then?

yes
In Russian language words constantly change on cases:
Me and YOU = Я и ТЫ or Я и ВЫ
I see YOU = Я вижу ТЕБЯ or Я вижу ВАС
I dream of YOU = Я мечтаю о ТЕБЕ or Я мечтаю о ВАС
I'll give YOU = Я дам ТЕБЕ or Я дам ВАМ

Edited by IlonaS on 06 March 2014 at 2:24pm

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5696 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 23
06 March 2014 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
ChrisBroholm wrote:
Fattig means poor, usually as in financially poor.

Ligemeget hvad, så ser jeg frem til at møde dig i Berlin :-)

Ja, det mener jeg. Sædvanligvis kan jeg ikke rejse. Men min far betaler konferencen for mig.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 06 March 2014 at 4:34pm

ChrisBroholm
Triglot
Denmark
actualfluency.com
Joined 3771 days ago

17 posts - 27 votes

Message 21 of 23
07 March 2014 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
An exciting day of language learning.

Today I had a long lesson of Michel Thomas (about 45 minutes) as I was driving home
from University. I'm really starting to get the current level of Russian, where the
teacher is working hard to make us do past and future constructions. Like I pointed out
in my previous entry I feel like I can answer the teacher correctly 9/10 times.

I also started working on learning the cyrillic keyboard, so I could permanently switch
to cyrillic instead of the transliteration. This is presenting some troubles,
particularly remembering the stress (as to figure out when O = A and A = A) I find this
little feature rather annoying :)

I also signed up on InterPals and started searching for Russian people to communicate
with, and to some crazy coincidence I found a Russian girl from Moscow who speaks
German to a higher level than me. So now we write in German which helps me improve my
german and down the line I hope to introduce Russian with her, and some other contacts
I got in touch with. Of course I would be more than happy to help her with English or
whatever she would want in return.

I then recorded my very first podcast episode, and damn is it embarrasing to listen to
one's own voice! I hope with some practice that I can develop a stronger presence and
more confidence at the mic. The result was around 18 minutes of solo talk about the
website and the podcast.

It's now 2 am and I've just watched about half of Frozen in Russian. Sadly I do not
have English subtitles for it, but its still a good exercise and I'm finding that i
pick up a lot of the words I know already and because I watched it in English already I
can still watch it, even though I cant follow the dialogue completely.

спасибо!

я вижу всё что вы здесь говорите (comments welcomed again :))

ChrisBroholm
Triglot
Denmark
actualfluency.com
Joined 3771 days ago

17 posts - 27 votes

Message 22 of 23
14 March 2014 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
Causing a Stir

Forgive me for not updating in a few days. I figured it would be better to update less
frequently, rather than just updating to say that nothing interesting has happened :-)

As you may know from reading this thread I'm currently challenging myself to speak
fluent Russian in 3 months. I spent quite a while socializing in various polyglot
groups on Facebook recently and while most people are supportive and believe that it
can be done, a few people seem to think that it is downright impossible.

Then there was also the discussion of what is fluency exactly. I personally consider
fluency as the ability to communicate with a native speaker and understand what is
being said. I don't mean just "where is the bathroom" and basic ordering phrases, no I
want to be able to talk for longer periods of time without unnatural pauses and stops.

For some people this is not fluency. They want to master the language before they
consider themselves fluent, and I think that is setting up some unreasonably high
barriers that are unnecessary. At the end of the day, any language is a means to an end
- to communicate your idea from your head to the recipient's ears. Another point about
having such huge expectations about a foreign language is that many would not even be
considered fluent in their own native language! I have spent the last 10 years or so
immersed in speaking more English than Danish and my sister even mocks me occasionally
for getting words wrong or using weird phrases or even stopping to recover a word for a
n unnatural amount of time.

But of course I'm fluent in Danish, so I do not buy into that extreme form of
definition of fluency.

Status on my Russian: Can I reach fluency in Russian in 3 months?

I'm getting help from a native speaker over Skype now, which is a huge boost from the
audio courses and the vocabulary tools. Right now my Russian isn't strong enough to do
any serious conversation, but I'm having my pronunciation fixed and we try to build
sentences slowly.

As for the courses and tools I want to finish Michel Thomas in March, which is a tall
order, but doable. Then I want to proceed with either Assimil or Pimsleur. I personally
lean mostly towards Assimil, but I would love to hear any advice from you guys out
there. Additionally I will be using Memrise to plant and maintain new vocabulary. I
have also started searching for Russian shows to watch and I was recommeded Interny,
which is apparently more or less a ripoff of Scrubs which I enjoyed greatly.

My blog and Podcast
The podcast is scheduled to go live with 2 episodes wednesday the 19th. I have two
great guests lined up and I'm hoping I can get Iversen from this very forum to come on
soon as well to talk about dead languages, as I find them very interesting in relation
to language learning. Then I will aim to have an episode up every week to motivate and
inspire others to work harder on language learning.

My blog is going fine, I recently released: http://actualfluency.com/learning-
languages-school-sucks-failed-french/ which is kind of my stance of classroom-based
learning and it's faults.

I also still have the privilege to be able to give a free interlinear book away, to
enter you simply need to tweet and comment on a post. With no comments yet, you are
basically guaranteed a free copy of your choice (Russian, German, Swedish, Lithuanian)
find the details here: http://actualfluency.com/review-of-the-interlinear-book-syst em-
for-language-learning/

My next Language Project
You might think that I have enough on my plate with all this going on, but actually I
also want to develop a free on-line resource for learning Danish. As a native speaker
of a relatively obscure language I feel like it is my duty to provide at least some
form of tutoring to the world, as a way to give back for all the free resources I enjoy
myself when I'm learning Russian and later when I will learn many other great
languages.

Thank you for reading this behemoth update,

Chris!

ChrisBroholm
Triglot
Denmark
actualfluency.com
Joined 3771 days ago

17 posts - 27 votes

Message 23 of 23
17 March 2014 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
Benny Lewis Review and Giveaway

I just posted my Fluent in 3 Months Review over on my blog:
http://actualfluency.com/review-fluent-3-months-benny-lewis/

At the end of the review I give away a free copy out of my own pocket to a lucky
commentator, could that be you? All you have to do is write which is your favourite
Benny Lewis Blog Post from Fluentin3months.com and add me on twitter, easy huh?

Bit of a stall in the learning Process or not?
Lately I have not done much educational work on my Russian. I have dutifully done my
Memrise exercises and I watched a little bit of Russian stuff on Youtube, but I have
been a bit tired as of late which has impaired my normal study routine of 1 hour a day.

I have compensated though by getting an amazing Russian friend who somehow has the
patience to listen to me speaking sentences in Russian, correcting me and so on. This
means that I already about 3 or so weeks into the project am speaking the language. Not
well of course and I have massive problems with comprehension and also reading and
pronounciation, but the fact that I can sit there on skype and speak sentences really
boosts me forward, even though I don't study enough using the traditional methods.

Podcast Coming Very Soon
I'm very excited to have come very close to releasing the Podcast. The introductory
episode is finished and recorded and I'm recording two further episodes this week. All
3 episodes will go live on Wednesday, so stay tuned for that!

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version