United States
Joined 3853 days ago

45 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German

Message 1 of 2
24 March 2014 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Salut!

After lurking around this forum for a while, I have decided to start a log to chart whatever progress I may make in learning French. First, however, the basics:

Background

French is my second foreign language, after Spanish. I have been learning Spanish since middle school, but really didn't achieve any success until my sophmore year of high school. I married a native speaker, and a few years later I noticed that my passive understanding was nearly fluent, but my production was atrocious. So, last year I purchased a copy of Assimil Spanish with Ease and worked through it. Within about five months I felt much more comfortable speaking Spanish, and by the time I had completed the course I felt ready to tackle FSI Spanish. I did the first two levels before I decided to begin French. I intended to stop at level two with FSI Spanish, but I kept having nagging doubts about how far the course could actually take me if I had just buckled down and finished it. So that's what I'm doing now, and I intend to take the course all of the way. When I decided to start French, I picked Assimil again because I am a true believer - these courses really are "magic"!

I want to learn French to gain access to other language learning materials not available in English. I also like the way the language sounds, and it is probably one of the more useful languages on my hitlist. I also find it quite easy going given my Spanish background. And the wealth of materials alone makes it well worth the effort!

Goal: fluency in French speaking, reading, writing, and listening. I don't have a set timeframe, because I honestly don't know how long this should take. Since this is my second romance language, let's say that I'd like to be at a B2 by the end of this year. That would get my French up to the same level as my Spanish is currently.

Materials:Assimil New French With Ease (Lesson 69/113)
              FSI French Basic Course (not yet started)
              Easy French Reader (Lesson 14)
              Mastering French Vocabulary
              Essential French Grammar

I've also set my computer, Nintendo 3DS, and Wii to French. I've been watching dubbed versions of Star Trek, The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, SpongeBob Squarepants, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Dexter and dubbed versions of some of my favorite movies and some original French cinema. I listen to French radio (both from France and Canada) as often as possible and try to live the AJATT way, although in my case it's All Spanish and French All The Time.

So far I am really enjoying New French With Ease. I feel like I am learning rapidly. My ex-wife (the native Spanish speaker) studied French in high school and we have been texting and talking back and forth which makes for great practice. I also have an italki account, altough I've only journaled in Spanish so far. And I've been trying to teach my eight year old daughter a little French with Muzzy, which I found at a second-hand bookstore for $1.

So that's it for now, I'll post more as time goes on. I look forward to any comments and suggestions fellow francophones may have!

2 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4958 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 2
24 March 2014 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum.
You have selected some great courses. You are motivated.
I am sure you will earn a lot of French.
I wish you much success.
Bon apprentissage! :)
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version