piketransitions
Joined 5339 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 9 of 59
25 August 2010 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Friday, August 20, 2010 - Português - Semana 3

Esta semana passado eu terminava meu CD "Basic Portuguese" de Pimsleur. Agora, uso FSI Programmatic Portuguese e Lingq por ensaio. Esta idioma é muito bem e sou escutar ao radio de Brasil e intendo muito. Já não començo L-R, mas não é importante à me a este tempo. Sou muito contente com meu progesso esta mes em português e penso que tenho encontrado um bom metodo de aprender idiomas.

Esta semana passado era muito dificil por me e minha voz. Eu tenho cantando demais pesado e sem correto fluxo de ar. Compreendava hoje e tenho reparando, mas era muito irritante! Hoje, cantava à C5 e via em uma nova aria - Dies Bildnis. Esta aria é muito dificil porque está muito alto tudo de tempo, mas com correto foco e fluxo é manejável. Sou muito contente agora que tenho reparando minha voz e espero que a semana proxíma será muito melhor que esta semana.
1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5898 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 10 of 59
25 August 2010 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Wow, interesting experiment!   As I do not understand 90% of the languages you will be posting in, I will not be following much, but this sounds very exciting. I would be interested in hearing how interference issues between closely-related languages may present themselves, and strategies for overcoming this.

Best wishes for the project.

Edited by Spanky on 25 August 2010 at 7:30pm

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5339 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 

Message 11 of 59
25 August 2010 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
@Spanky - Thus far the closely related languages have helped me for the most part. I do ocassionally do silly things like say entonces when I should say então, but overall I have found the comfort of similar grammar and structure to speed along my process at this point. Next month when I move into less familiar languages is where I think I will see more troubles.

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5339 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 

Message 12 of 59
29 August 2010 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
Saturday, August 28, 2010 - Português - Semana 4

Não creio que minha mês de português é pronto! Era muito divertido e penso que meu português é mais melhor que quando començava. Tenho utilizado FSI por duas semanas e gosto muito. É um poco lento por me, mas penso que tenho um bom conhecimento da idioma. Desejo que posso trabalhar á esta idioma mais, mas devo manter meu horário. Não tenho muito pessoas falar comigo em português e espero que não perco mais quando paro estudar ativamente.

A semana passada era dificil por minha voz porque não podio praticar mais. Meu equilíbro é dificil agora por alguma razão. Eu posso cantar um C5 ainda assim, mas G4 - A4 é muito diferente a antes. Penso que devo um licão com JRL logo por um exame de minha voz.

A semana próxima mudarei à russo! É muito assustador porque tenha um alfabeto muito diferente de todas minha idiomas.

Até logo!

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5339 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 

Message 13 of 59
06 September 2010 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
Sunday, September 5, 2010 - Русский - Неделя 1

Я не знаю достаточно писать по-русский. Я не думать хорошо это почта.

Alright, so for this month I forsee myself writing more in English than in Russian. It's been an adventure so far trying to figure out exactly what the formula is for writing proper sentences as well as making thoughts make sense in said language. I do really enjoy the language though, as I have all of my languages. Next week I will try to write more in actual Russian, but here is my current workload for the month: Pimsleur I-A (30 1/2-hour lessons), Michel Thomas Get Started kit (8 CDs), Teach Yourself Russian (1 20-unit book and 2 CDs) and Learn in Your Car Russian (2 CDs). In addition to this I am using Anki and going through the 1000 most common words on there in the hopes that some of them will stick with me. As of this point I am really happy with all the input I am getting and have noticed that I am pretty comfortable with the knowledge that I have and am excited to learn more. The only difficult thing for this language so far has been keeping my consonants straight on some words.

I am not going to update on the voice this week since I am writing in English. See you next week!

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5339 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 

Message 14 of 59
19 October 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Monday, September 27, 2010 - Quick Update

As I foresaw there was no posting in Cyrillic this month - it has been a very crazy month and my studies waned a little due to the business of moving out of my home of the last 3 years. I have found that I really do enjoy Russian though and it has moved its way up on my extended time list once I am done with this cycle. Next month begins Czech! I am very excited about this language, partially because it is a part of my heritage and partially because it is something new. I hope to be able to post more regularly again next month since I will be done moving by then.

On the vocal front the biggest news is that Ab has become comfortable and is no longer a stretch (at least on the [a] vowel)! Hopefully as this balance continues to get better the A will fall into place. It has taken nearly a year for the Ab to finally feel somewhat correct and I am hoping that the next semi-tone or two will progress a little quicker. I am hoping to have a lesson in November so hopefully at that point I will feel comfortable adding in some rep with A's in them!

Edited by JPike1028 on 19 October 2010 at 5:17pm

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5339 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 

Message 15 of 59
19 October 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - Another quick update

Again I realize that this has been another month with no posts. Unlike the Latin languages, I do not have a strong enough grounding in these Slavic languages (Russian last month and Czech this month) to really be able to write my thoughts in the language well. I specifically am missing the past and future tenses which are so vital for this type of writing. Czech has been going very well this month. I have made my way through the Pimsleur 1-A course as of yesterday and hope to import the 1-B course tonight when I get home from work. I unfortunately do not have anyone to talk to in Czech (nor will I for Swedish) but I still find myself progressing despite this. Next month I start German. This is one of my vital languages that I must learn well. I will have people to speak with and hope to be able to devote a little more time to this language in all areas.

This month, I read Polyglot: How I Learn Languages by Katò Lomb. I found the book very interesting - especially since it was free! I am intrigued by her method of learning languages and plan to try this once I get around to the top of my cycle again. This brings to my attention the need to describe what the next step of my process is going to be as I am nearing the beginning of the last third of my cycle.

After this month I only have three months left in my cycle of nine languages: German (Nov.), Swedish (Dec.), and Arabic (Jan.). When I come back around to the top of my cycle I am going to reorganize the languages into three categories which will determine the order I work on them. The categories are as follows:

Vital: Italian, French, German
Important: Russian, Spanish, Czech
Recreational: Portuguese, Swedish, Arabic

A brief description of these categories - The languages listed as vital are such due to my vocation as a singer. These are the three most important languages for a singer to know. Likewise, the important languages are also necessary for a singer to know, although more of a specialization. Lastly the final third of my languages are simply languages that I am interested in and have very little bearing on my vocation, at least in my current scope.

When I get to the top of my cycle I will change from one month per language to three months per language with a focus on developing my vocabulary and grammar abilities as well as striving to become comfortable conversationally in most normal situations. I will outline my methods more as I get closer to this time.

As for singing, I sang my first Bb4 in an aria the other day which was very exciting. In general I have noticed that a lot of things have started happening vocally which I am very pleased with. The largest accomplishment was the development of the Ab4 into a not that I can sing consistently. After this many things started happening: my range has begun increasing more quickly, the tessitura has become more manageable and I noticed that I am able to sing softly (although not fully coordinated) up through at least the F4. The biggest achievement is a generally more comfortable feeling through my useable range. I hope to get in for a lesson next month so that I can get a real evalutaion of my progress from JRL and find out the next step in my process.

Hopefully next month I will be able to write a little bit in German for those of you who do actually follow this. See you in November!

Edited by JPike1028 on 19 October 2010 at 5:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5291 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 16 of 59
19 October 2010 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
I don´t know if you´re interested in practising your Czech here but if so then feel free to write and I´ll gladly reply in Czech if you want.
I´ll be following your log.
Hříbeček

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version