United States
piketransitions
Joined 5339 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 49 of 59
20 March 2012 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
Oui, bien sûr. Pour le vocabulaire je ne fais pas quelque chose special. Je lit plus et j'apprends le vocabulaire
comme je vais, naturellment. Quand je lit, je marque une ou deux mots et essayer utiliser dans mon prochaîne
conversation. Il me ne fait peine pas si je ne sais pas quelques mots ou frases, je sais que je ce vais apprendre dans
le future. J'èspere que cette est beneficial pour vous.

Yes, of course. I don't do anything special for vocabulary. I read a lot and learn vocabulary as I go, naturally. When
I read I note one or two words and try to use them in my next conversation. It doesn't bother me if I don't know
some words or phrases, I know that I will learn them in the future. I hope that this is helpful for you.

(*side note - my writing in French is really subpar so corrections are much appreciated)

Edited by JPike1028 on 20 March 2012 at 6:16am

1 person has voted this message useful

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5339 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 

Message 50 of 59
11 April 2012 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
I'm about four months into my German studies and I have found that I recently leaped in
my ability to express myself in the language. Truthfully I'm probably more like three
months into the language since I had a rough month at work where I wasn't able to study
at all. I find it interesting how suddenly the leap in level happened. It seems as
though one day I was struggling and the next I was having conversations relatively
comfortably. I will be writing my blog post later this evening, so the rest of my
thoughts and impressions will be there. Very excited for this progress! I hope to be
able to list this language as spoken in another four months, which will leave another
four months to bring myself to fluency.

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5339 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 

Message 51 of 59
17 May 2012 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
Seems like it is about time for an update. Truthfully, though, there isn't much to update. I'm still just plugging
along. I am nearing 2000 known words on LingQ which I suppose is the biggest news I have. I am also going to be
finishing up MT and moving back to Assimil in the next week or two. Other than that, just keep swimming.

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5339 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 

Message 52 of 59
19 June 2012 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
German is still coming along nicely. I have finished MT and am now working through
Assimil. I find Assimil to be a much more subconscious process. I find that my German
has gotten better, especially on the listening side of things since working with Assimil
again. My only real struggle with Assimil is keeping consistent with doing it. It was
much easier with MT, because I only needed ten minutes a day instead of a half hour.
However, I am beginning to rearrange my schedule so that I can accommodate Assimil at
least six days a week.

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5339 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 

Message 53 of 59
19 July 2012 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
It has been an up and down month for me. I got slammed at work for the first couple of
weeks and was not really able to do much of anything apart from listening to some German
radio. As things have slowed down I have been able to get back into the swing of things
and have found a good rhythm again.   I am approaching the start of the Active Phase in
Assimil and I know from past experience that this is where things really begin to pick up
in my language acquisition. I feel as though I am coming to a tipping point of sorts
where I am really going to begin to be very comfortable with the language.

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5339 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 

Message 54 of 59
04 September 2012 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
It occurred to me that I may have missed my August post. August was a decent month for me. I have been very
busy with preparations for my wedding and for the upcoming audition season so my studies slipped a bit. However
I am back in full swing now and proceeding nicely. I did go to my first German Meetup two Sundays ago and
survived pretty well for about an hour. I only slipped back into English a couple of times because I wanted to make
myself very clear and could not do it in German. I am planning on going to my next Meetup this weekend.

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5339 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 

Message 55 of 59
01 November 2012 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
The last month has been very busy for me, and truthfully this last quarter of the year is kind of crazy. I am still wokring on my German, although I have not been able to do as much as I would have liked. My spoken German is becoming more natural and flowing, although my vocabulary is still lacking. I am at around lesson 70 in Assimil but have lost some motivation to continue with it. Not that it is not working, but with time constraints I am focusing on aspects that do not take as much time out of my day.

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5339 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 

Message 56 of 59
05 December 2012 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'm in my last month of my year of German. It has been slower than anticipated;
not in the amount of progress made, but the amount of work I have put in. I'm trying for
one last final push this month to see how far I can get. I move on to Spanish next
month!

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version