aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 5090 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 107
24 October 2010 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
So I have been studying Mandarin for almost 1 year now. Now I am pretty happy that I found a place--other than
a blog spot--where I can type a journal that other people may find useful. Anyhoo, if anyone is interested, here's
a list of materials and experiences that I have gone through so far, followed by my journal entry for today:

1) lots of pinyin listening and pronunciation practice. ("learn pinyin from a blue cat" series on youtube and
tudou.com -- 蓝猫学习中文)
2) many online flash games for chinese vocab.
3) rosetta stone level 1, and about half of rosetta stone level 2.
4) chinese classes at the local university (last semester).
5) a Shengong exercise that greatly helps my learning/studying performance :) (Pangu Shengong)
6) movies in Mandarin

...and then near the end of summer i realized that while i was doing great with my reading/writing, I was not
getting anywhere with my speaking/listening ability :) so to help improve that, i stopped focusing so much on
rosetta stone since it really is NOT going to help me with those things. Next I did....

7) a week of one-on-one skype lessons with a lady in china
8) Pimsleur Mandarin 1
9) all of the FSI resource modules. http://fsi-language-courses.org --especially the pronunciation ones :)
10) listening to elementary chinesepod.com podcasts as i lay down to sleep :)
11) currently enrolled in another chinese language class (local university again) this time in the advanced class
with 2 chinese native teachers. only chinese spoken in class. definitely what i needed: a severe challenge :)

TODAYS JOURNAL ENTRY
======================

1) Pimsleur Mandarin Level 1, Unit 23
2) Reviewed Unit 22 (focused on that one yesterday)
4 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5591 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 2 of 107
24 October 2010 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
You ever try watching Taiwanese/Chinese dramas for listening practice? Taiwanese dramas are more popular, but I'm not sure if you want to stick strictly to the Beijing dialect or not.
1 person has voted this message useful

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 5090 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 

Message 3 of 107
25 October 2010 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Ty for your input The Real CZ...I greatly appreciate it :) I haven't seen any taiwanese/chinese dramas, but then
again I don't know of any. Do you have any recommendations? :D Thanks again!

TODAYS JOURNAL ENTRY
====================

1) Pimsleur Mandarin Level 1, Unit 24
2) Reviewed my previous day's focus (Unit 23)
3) For fun I read a short (very short) reading on Page 63 from the Zhongwen children's reading book. I learned
some new stuff from the short passage...so I am very happy :D i just gotta get around to making some new
flash/Anki cards for the material.... (btw, for anyone who doesn't use Anki, it's great flash card software. Google
it!)

I really don't know how to explain this book since i cannot read the characters... but these books are used by the
local chinese language school to teach american chinese kids (who have a basic or advanced fluency in spoken
mandarin) how to write the language. i like these books a LOT! The current class I am in just finished book 6 and
is now doing book 7 hahahhaa...so i have some catching up to do :)

For anyone interested in this book, this book is available for free on the companies website. Some great
resources here!

http://www.hwjyw.com
http://www.hwjyw.com/textbooks/downloads/zhongwen/ -- direct link to the text book downloads :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 5090 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 

Message 4 of 107
26 October 2010 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
TODAYS JOURNAL ENTRY
====================

1) Pimsleur Mandarin Level 1, Unit 25 -- I definitely need to review some of this one; my weaknesses are
conversing roads and directions.
2) Reviewed previous day's focus (Unit 24).

PROGRESSION PLAN!!
====================

This upcoming weekend, and the following weekends, I'll dedicate a few minutes to write in this log my
weekly/overall goals and what I accomplished. My current goal is to do 1 pimsleur unit every day throughout the
month, followed by a review of the previous unit within that same day. By the end of November I wish to be
finished with pimsleur's mandarin level 2.
2 persons have voted this message useful

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 5090 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 

Message 5 of 107
01 November 2010 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
The past week I have finished Pimsleur Mandarin Level 1 :D Why did I feel like I would never finish it? I also feel like I
will never finish level 2; however, I just need to feel happy and keep telling myself that I will also gain a good chunk
of experience and language exercise from level 2 mandarin :D After all, Pimsleur Mandarin Level 1 has already
greatly helped with my speaking and listening abilities. This week I will be going to New York City...so you can bet I
will go to china town and practice more speaking!

So there are 30 days in November...each day I will do 1 Pimsleur Mandarin 2 lesson, and as well I will keep working
on the Zhongwen book series. I probably won't get much Zhongwen book study done since I am vacating, but that
is ok :) Expect another log entry at the beginning of next month after I have completed mandarin level 2.

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5901 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 107
01 November 2010 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
aerozeplyn wrote:
I haven't seen any taiwanese/chinese dramas, but then
again I don't know of any.

Toward the bottom of http://www.mysoju.com/, there are Taiwanese dramas, movies and some mainland dramas.   There is also http://www.tudou.com/ which has mainland and Taiwanese material though the site is entirely in Chinese.

继续加油! (jìxù jiāyóu!)

Edited by Snowflake on 01 November 2010 at 4:14pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 5090 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 

Message 7 of 107
08 November 2010 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
Snowflake, thank you soo much O_O I am soo happy O_O

I am already watching the movie "The Secret" lol. Anyhoo....

Now it is Nov 7th; however, I am not on Pimsleur Mandarin unit 7 (level 2). Since units 2+ have a lot of new
information for me, I keep studying past levels during the day. Today I studied unit 6. Maybe I'll better absorb this
information around mid December :) I'll write in this log again around the beginning of December.

Sooo...I am getting this feeling that I should add some study supplements. Of course I'll utilize the usual flash
cards, but any other suggestions to use along with Pimsleur Mandarin Level 2?

Time to finish watching the movie "Secret" :) Thanks again Snowflake, I appreciate it!

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 5090 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 

Message 8 of 107
09 December 2010 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone :)

I have just finished reading parts of Irrational's Mandarin learning log. Good stuff :)

By now, I planned on being finished with Pimsleur Mandarin 2; however, I am half-way through it :) And now I am
continuing my 1 Pimsleur a day quest. Other than that, when I speak with Chinese friends over skype, I am
finding it difficult to manage the new words I pick up. Perhaps I need to load ANKI back up...

Also, about a week ago I had my first dream completely in Mandarin! I dreamt that I was trying to find my
mother, and I knew she was in this building, and I wanted these chinese people to tell me where she was. I did
not expect to have a dream in Mandarin so soon...so I guess my speaking practice over Skype is helping? :)

Time to go study...wish me luck! :)

Btw, I did continue to study Rosetta Stone's Mandarin. (I am on Level 2, Unit 2). I am really unsure of how to use
the information I learn from Rosetta Stone... do I use it as a guide to learn more characters? Do I use it just for
new vocabulary flash cards? (Return to ANKI!) Do any Mandarin learners have any experience and suggestions
with Rosetta Stone's mandarin?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by aerozeplyn on 09 December 2010 at 12:16pm

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version