aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 5090 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 41 of 107
18 May 2011 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
As I am now keeping a mini language log in an excel spread sheet, I am finding this very useful. Especially when
studying rapidly (every day) or many items at once...the small spread sheet helps keep me organized. Definitely!

I have also tweaked my audio extraction routine a bit: recently I will listen to as much of my audio lessons as I can
with the audio already in Apple Logic. I may have mentioned this before, but this is very helpful because I can grab
phrases as I am working on them. While it can get distracting, sometimes these feel like good distractions.

However, as I am just finishing Pimsleur 3 Unit 25--with some of the most recent lessons being unusually difficult
for Pimsleur--I am also managing to rapidly acquire this information very well. ANKI + audio flash cards RULES.

So lately I have been VERY satisfied with my learning. Many things that I talk about or say I end up realizing that I can
completely say that in Mandarin. This feels great, but it would feel even greater if i WERE speaking the Mandarin :) So
because of this, I am starting to exercise speaking out loud--to myself! Wish me luck with that :) But another source
where I have observed much of my improvement has been from listening to iMandarinPod.com podcasts. It is pretty
exciting because for some of the 2-star-rated podcasts I can understand the dialog entirely--and these 10-15
minute dialogs are completely in Mandarin :D

Well, it looks like I have at least improved on my listening skills. So it is now time to beef up speaking skills....

Anyhoo, here were the entries that I put in my mini spread sheet log throughout the week:

May 12: Pimsleur 3 Unit 20; FSI Biography Module tapes 2D-1 and 1D-1 (review). Notes: "Drill tapes are good. Unable
to actively recite all drills."

May 13: Pimsleur 3 Unit 21; FSI Biography Module tape 3C-1; the 5/11/2011 episode of 日常用语 (show from
imandarinpod.com). Notes: "wow, I understand most of the iMandarin Pod episode O_O ... seriously, it's pretty
awesome mixed with the learning guide PDF. I think I want to start studying these... however, I will need a speaking
partner damn it!! :)"

May 14: Pimsleur 3 Unit 22; FSI Bio Module tape 3P-1. Notes: "ANKI only took 32 minutes. Starting to extract FSI
audio..."

Through May 15, 16, and 17 I did 1 unit of Pimsleur per day. Each day's ANKI drill time elapse is written in the notes
section, and I am finding that on average I spend around 30-35 minutes using ANKI. I would like to keep this at or
below 30 minutes! Btw, I mentioned a speaking partner, and since I am looking for one the main place I can think is
echinese learn online or something (via skype lessons). i'm not sure if there are any mandarin speakers in Florida
during the summer, but ya never know...
1 person has voted this message useful

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 5090 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 

Message 42 of 107
18 May 2011 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
btw, did I mention that i am literally forcing myself to do 1 Pimsleur a day? I also force myself to do my ANKI
workouts...no matter how exhausting my day has been. I feel like this is a doctor's order or something. Anyhoo,
gotta stick to my goal: FINISH Pimsleur. Plus Li Fei and I are seeing who will finish Pimsleur first hehe :)

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6321 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 43 of 107
18 May 2011 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Good for you. I tried and tried to do Pimsleur but I just couldn't. I really like Pimsleur, but I think it's too inefficient for the amount of study time I have right now.

martyall
United States
Joined 4881 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 44 of 107
18 May 2011 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
NickJS wrote:
I've just been reading your posts, they are very inspiring as I'm just
starting out
learning Mandarin myself.

Me either. I amazed with the post. I think it is really good wright up. Thumbsup. :D

Li Fei
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5065 days ago

147 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 45 of 107
18 May 2011 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Nooooo, you are beating me! I am only on Pimsleur 3.23. But I could in theory finish 24 today...and then if
you missed a day...victory could still be mine. Look out!

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5992 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 46 of 107
18 May 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
加油! :)

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 5090 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 

Message 47 of 107
22 May 2011 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
wow, thank you all for your responses! that was quite a surprise, and a motivating one too :D

newyorkeric wrote:
Good for you. I tried and tried to do Pimsleur but I just couldn't. I really like Pimsleur, but I
think it's too inefficient for the amount of study time I have right now.

that pimsleur guy's nerdy voice had me from the start....love it!!! :) i have continued using pimsleur mainly
because the program has spent a lot of time on the "basics". but i agree with you...you definitely gotta use
something that makes you happy with the material you learn.

martyall wrote:
Me either. I amazed with the post. I think it is really good wright up. Thumbsup. :D

i am very glad you're enjoying it :D i hope it helps you with your studies as well.

Li Fei wrote:
Nooooo, you are beating me! I am only on Pimsleur 3.23. But I could in theory finish 24
today...and then if you missed a day...victory could still be mine. Look out!

ya i just missed some days too :) i gotta look over my shoulders...i can feel you catching up!!!

irrationale wrote:
加油! :)

seeing mr irrationale write here made my day. not because everyone else sucks, but because i've read
irrationale's mandarin log at least a few times :) now if only he'd sign onto skype more.... ;)

Anyhoo, it hasn't even been a few days since i've written in here. But i just wanted to mention that i have only
finished 2 pimsleurs within that time...kaksldfjioawjf. My goal of 1 pimsleur per day faded as life crept up against
me, but i am still happy. Oh, I also didn't do ANY ANKI within the past few days. Pimsleur's review reached up to a
few hundred cards due. However, in the past 15 minutes I did about 100 cards...so perhaps I can get these out of
the way today. The past 100 cards I studied were pretty easy. A lot of these mandarin sentences fly off my tongue
much faster. I am very happy because it appears that my speaking ability is improving, and I am also noticing
more situations in daily life where i could've communicated my intentions (or thoughts) in Mandarin. This feels
great....I think the boost is coming from my improved listening skills combined with drilling and exercising my
tongue/mouth to speak Mandarin syllables, words, phrases, etc. Having improved on my muscle memory for
speaking has really cut out a lot of "thinking time" i had to do whenever i wanted to say something.

Even though I haven't done any FSI within the last week...I definitely plan to do some of this :) I remember that
FSI's drills and production tapes for the biographical unit really exercised my weaknesses. FSI and iMandarinPod
are 2 things that I want to focus on more once I complete Pimsleur. In fact, I even got a job offer in a city that's
about an 1.5 hours away. I will have to relocate. I am sure this will work out--I will know by this monday. I also
intend to purposely get an apartment exactly 30 or more minutes away from my work environment hahaha. That
way I can actively listen and speak Mandarin audio in my car's MP3 player to and from work.

Thank you all once again for your encouragement. I have 3 more pimsleur units to study... finally almost done,
and what a milestone! :D

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 5090 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 

Message 48 of 107
26 May 2011 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
It is about 3:50 AM, and yesterday evening marks the time that i FINALLY completed Pimsleur 3. It sure feels
good :) the last 2 units had an unusually amount of extra vocabulary for me--maybe my mind is just having a
harder time accepting some of the information? Anyways, i already chopped up all of the lesson audio that i had
trouble with, and i am about to create a bunch of ANKI audio flash cards! Pimsleur 3 had well over 1100 audio
cards; however, I would strongly recommend this audio card method for anyone :)

What's next... i am pretty set on focusing more with extracting audio from iMandarin Pod and FSI. I really like
both solutions. However, i am pretty confident that i will also need some regular speaking partners, and
unfortunately i will not be attending the local university mandarin class. This is because i got a job offer in a
nearby city, and the school will be more than an hour away. Maybe i will find a school--or an English-as-a-
second-language exchange--in that new city? :)

will write in here once i get my new learning routine down :)

This discussion contains 107 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version