27 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
yele
United States
Joined 4112 days ago

24 posts - 27 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 27
06 July 2013 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
I discovered FSI courses last night and decided to run through them. I've been studying Chinese for quite some time but I'm not proud of the level i'm at. My level of speaking is lousy so I figured it couldn't hurt to go through the tones and pronunciation. I finished going through them all today when I noticed the outline of the course (lol) and forgot a very important lesson I learned in the 3rd grade, read everything first. Lesson learned (I hope!).

I'm currently on Module One, Unit One. I know roughly 1000 characters/words and Skritter rough 30-60 mins a day. I also have Pimsleur and I'm up to tape 12 or Pimsleur Mandarin Chinese II.

This is my first log, I'll try and keep updates on my thoughts on FSI.

P.S I know my plan isn't perfect. Feel free to comment.

Edited by yele on 06 July 2013 at 1:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4951 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 27
06 July 2013 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Sounds like a nice plan, I'm looking forward to reading you, the more that I consider learning Mandarin as well.

30-60 min on scritter a day, that sounds like a lot of time well spend. How much do you fit in one such study session? A few dozens character reviews?

What have you been studying from so far?

yele
United States
Joined 4112 days ago

24 posts - 27 votes

Message 3 of 27
06 July 2013 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Thanks :) Usually each day I have about 250 reviews if I keep it consistent and practice every day. If I start missing days it becomes a monster and I end up with a colassal 1000. I usually aim to bring the reviews down to zero and then add about 20 new words a day depending on my mood and how long I've been doing it for. It usually takes me roughly 20-30 minutes to bring my reviews down to 0 and the remainder of the time is spent learning new words.

I've been using NPCR 3, and Slow-Chinese. And inconsistently reading from the Chinese-Breeze series.

**TODAY**
--Completed Pimsleur II tracks 13,14,15,16,17 while cleaning my room. Gotta say its easier to do them while doing something else.
--Completed FSI Unit 2 and on Unit 3 I only managed to get through 3C-1 before getting tired and switching to Pimsleur. The begining of FSI is a little too-easy but I don't want to listen out of order because I have issues.
-- 70 mins of Skritter, added 20 words.
-- Watched Lesson 40 of CCTV's Growing up with Chinese. Note to self: start creating flashcards to retain information from episodes.
-- Downloaded the Anki deck "all FSI all NPCR + misc chinese sent deck" and completed the 20 cards due.

Edited by yele on 07 July 2013 at 5:47am

3 persons have voted this message useful

yele
United States
Joined 4112 days ago

24 posts - 27 votes

Message 4 of 27
08 July 2013 at 4:13am | IP Logged 
**TODAY**
-- Completed Pimsleur II tracks 18, 19, 20, 21 while throwing out old things. Officially finished with cleaning my room *yay*
-- 40 mins of Skritter, no new words. I'm kind of tired today.
-- Completed Anki reviews of 20 cards.
-- Practiced hand-writing by copying Lesson 31 of NPCR dialogue 2.
-- Completed Unit 3 & 4 of Module 1 AND completed module one.
-- Watched Lesson 41 & 42 of Growing up with chinese

I haven't found FSI's workbook to be that useful. Towards Unit 3 and 4 I only listened to C-1 and P-1 and the drill only for Unit 3. Perhaps the workbook will be more useful in the later units.

Edited by yele on 08 July 2013 at 4:15am

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5901 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 

Message 5 of 27
08 July 2013 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
yele wrote:
I've been studying Chinese for quite some time but I'm not proud of the level i'm at.

That seems to be the norm for most people. In other words, don't feel bad about that....I know, easier said than done.

Good luck!

Edited by Snowflake on 08 July 2013 at 4:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

yele
United States
Joined 4112 days ago

24 posts - 27 votes

Message 6 of 27
09 July 2013 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
Thanks. I'll try not to. I just keep thinking gosh-- I cant wait until I'm fluent!

**TODAY**
-- FSI Module 2 Unit 1: C1 and P1 and D1 = DONE
-- Completed Pimsleur 22 & 23
-- Skritter 48 mins, just a few new words. Still trying to catch up with NPCR
-- Completed Anki Review

I didn't get as much done as I wanted to today. But I'm feeling good about the progress so far. I've been noticing that I can reply with an answer much quicker than before I started but some things still stump me. I always seem to provide broken-english translations to the FSI mini-comprehension questions.

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4216 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 7 of 27
09 July 2013 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
Quote:
I've been studying Chinese for quite some time but I'm not proud of the level i'm
at.

I'm a card-holding member of the same club. I'll be following your log with interest!

加油!

yele
United States
Joined 4112 days ago

24 posts - 27 votes

Message 8 of 27
10 July 2013 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
谢谢!

**TODAY**
-- Completed Pimsleur II track 24,25,26. I like listening to them when I'm doing something else or else they get frustrating.
-- Completed FSI Module 2 Unit 2.
-- Skritter for 49 minutes.
-- Completed Anki Review
-- Watched an episode of The Fierce Wife. Wish I could have found one with chinese subtitles but as I just wanted to watch something leisurely I chose whatever. I kept note of words that struck out to me. For today it was 无所谓.
-- Watched lesson 43 of Growing up with Chinese

Today was one of those days that my brain resisted going through reviews. Unfortunately for my brain, I'm resilient and REFUSE to miss a day of reviews.. even if it ended up taking me twice as long to get through them. Yepp. Well, I did it. So take that brain!

I'm thinking about creating my own deck on Anki for sentences drawn from skritter and the show growing up with chinese. I started to notice the importance of sentence decks and the challenges they pose (like trying to figure out the correct word order, or creating a proper sentence mentally).

Edited by yele on 10 July 2013 at 5:26am

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version