youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 5042 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 1 of 9
01 November 2013 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
大家好! 你好嗎?

I've started learning Mandarin - Traditional Script.

The first ten I practised first were

Then I was speaking with a friend who was telling me about what he had eaten earlier and he taught me the words for cow/ox, meat and then when
combined the word 'beef'

牛 + 肉 = 牛肉

He then asked if I knew any characters that were simplified (as i'd dabbled with Chinese back in school) and I said the word for fish 鱼 which he
informed me that the traditional character is 魚 - so just adding the four strokes.

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5789 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 9
01 November 2013 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Why do you mark Mandarin as your native language in your profile? I am just curious!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 01 November 2013 at 9:31am

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 5042 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 

Message 3 of 9
01 November 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Why do you mark Mandarin as your native language in your profile? I am
just curious!

Fasulye

Oops, that's a mistake, I must change that - thank you telling me! :)

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3987 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 4 of 9
01 November 2013 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
languagenerd09 wrote:
大家好! 你好嗎?

I've started learning Mandarin - Traditional Script.

The first ten I practised first were

Then I was speaking with a friend who was telling me about what he had eaten earlier and he taught me the words for cow/ox, meat and then when
combined the word 'beef'

牛 + 肉 = 牛肉

He then asked if I knew any characters that were simplified (as i'd dabbled with Chinese back in school) and I said the word for fish 鱼 which he
informed me that the traditional character is 魚 - so just adding the four strokes.

Wow...Irish is hard enough for me, and it uses the Latin alphabet (at least it does nowadays). I've never liked the way Mandarin sounds, but for some reason I feel I must eventually learn this language...someday, when I work up the courage! Good luck! I'm sure there's plenty of resources available to you and you will go very far.
2 persons have voted this message useful

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 5042 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 

Message 5 of 9
01 November 2013 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
謝謝您 / thank you

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 5042 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 

Message 6 of 9
05 November 2013 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
I thought I would post a little 'image' tonight showing a little update. Basically i'm trying to now embrace what i've been told and use as many learning
techniques as possible, so while I was writing them down, I was listening to the words, repeating them them I put them into a mindmap. Mindmapping has always
been a useful learning mechanism for me, it used to help me a lot with exams back in school.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4386 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 7 of 9
05 November 2013 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
The basics is always a good place to start by reciting the numbers, days of the week, time, etc. Living in this part
of the world I grew up around people who speak English. About 8 month ago decided to get back to learning
Chinese. I still have trouble remembering some of the characters but once I know what they sound like I can easily
find them using an English-Chinese dictionary or by Pinyin phonetics.

Relying on phrasebooks, going to class to learn grammar & vocabulary is fine as a starter but to get you up to the
conversation level you need to start listening to radio podcasts, watch whatever TV programs available online.
Instead of relying on the materials in a classroom, I've made several lists on my computer including all the Pinyin
sounds from A-Z, a list of Chinese vocabulary I come across already over 100 words & phrases, Chinese 4-
character proverbs and classifiers. Like the French le/la/les or German der/die/das in front of a noun the Chinese
use classifiers.

In 6 months I have watched at least half-dozen movies, TV drama series some with subtitles and some don't.
Right now I'm watching a lot of shows from Singapore. I did come across a few good TV series from Taiwan and
Mainland China like 大學生了沒 documenting the lives of university students. There are only certain # hours in a
day. Instead of watching TV series in English, you devote more time watching the ones in your target language.
The reality TV show I like which got axed after the 4th season was: 中国达人秀, the Chinese equivalent of Britain's
Got Talent / America's Got Talent. A cartoon from China I got addicted to was 大耳朵图图 featuring a cute little boy
and his family. You basically find videos that are interesting and run through places a few times where you have a
hard time picking up words and phrases. Doing the same with a textbook you'd get so
bored you wouldn't get anywhere.

I'll be heading back to studying French shortly. Hopefully I'll be pushing my level up close to my English and
Chinese. Language classes that don't get you to the conversation level is a waste of time...

Edited by shk00design on 05 November 2013 at 8:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 5042 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 

Message 8 of 9
26 January 2014 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
After being told the delightful news that I received the job application to teach in
Taiwan and that I'll moving there in nine days, I've resumed with Chinese Mandarin -
Traditional Script.

I've been spending the start of the week recapping on what I had learnt so far and then
adding onto what I knew by learning new words.

This week I've learnt the months of the year:
一月
二月
三月
四月
五月
六月
七月
八月
九月
十月
十一月