Canada
Joined 4386 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 9 of 9
08 February 2014 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Good luck on your Chinese endeavour!

I have a friend living in the US. One summer we were exchange students in Taiwan. Being in a level A study group
we had to memorize dozens of Chinese phrases every day and did dictations in class. We still exchange letters in
Chinese regularly. His writing skills is quite fluent although I considered my conversation level to be higher.

Right now I'm more focused on studying French while he is doing German. I've been exploring the language
learning methods from online polyglots like Moses McCormick (US), Luca Lampariello (Italy), Steve Kaufmann
(Canada) & Felix Wang (Taiwanese living in Belgium). On my last letter to my friend in the US, I listed 8 common
approaches use by people who are successful learning languages:

1. 每次不要從頭開始。就算你30年前學過德文, 你的停點就是現在的起點。
    Each time you restart your language program, don't go back to the beginning. Even if you learned German 30
years ago, your previous stopping point is your new starting point.
2. 每一種話也有多少個字是相似英文或你已經懂 的語言 (cognates). 從這些字開始每天認識多幾個新字。
    Every language has a number of words that are similar to English or another language you know. These are
your cognates. You build your vocabularies starting from cognates.
3. 起初不要太重視文法。只要你寫和說話通就可 以。
    In the beginning don't overemphasize on correct grammar. As long as your writing and speaking is
understandable.
4. 多看(雜誌, 報紙, 書等)和多聽(電影, 電視, 收音機廣播等)。
    Read more (magazines, newspapers, books) and listen more (movies, TV, radio programs, etc.)
5. 上課只是學習的20%。其他的80%是在課外自修 (自己學習)。
    Going to class accounts for 20%. The other 80% is self-study.
6. 不要跟一本課本重複同樣的句子。過了一段時 間你會失去興趣. 多看錄影和聽收音機廣播。
    Don't repeat the same phrases from a textbook. After a while you'd lose interest. Spend more time watching
videos and listen to radio broadcasts instead.
7. 不要背生字或用字典念書從A-Z. 如果你逼自己做一些不想做的事情你會反抗。
    Don't memorize vocabularies or a dictionary going from A-Z. If you do force yourself into something you don't
want to do, you'd resist.
8. 去外國學習時不要跟朋友說英語。每天跟當地 人說話。
    When studying abroad don't stay with your own group of friends who speak English. Have conversations with
locals everyday.

In French there are more cognates with English such as:
menu - menu
group - un groupe
violin - violon
chocolate - chocolat

In Chinese there are far fewer cognates but you can still find foreign loan words:
pizza - 比薩 bǐsà
chocolate - 巧克力 qiǎokèlì
bus - normally 公共汽車 gōnggòngqìchē or simply 公車 (In Singapore & Hong Kong the anglicized version 巴士
bāshì is used)
motorcycle - 摩托車 mótuōchē
Jesus - 耶穌 Yēsū
Karaoke - K歌 K gē (Simplified version of a word borrowed from Japanese).
boycott - 杯葛 bēigě

1 thing you'll find is that the Taiwanese still use the older BPMF phonetics when inputting Chinese characters into
computers & portable devices. My friend and I prefer to use Pinyin because it uses 26 letters of the alphabet but
BPMF uses an odd set of symbols that are not on a typing keyboard.

Edited by shk00design on 08 February 2014 at 10:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version