Triglot
United States
Joined 4630 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 9 of 12
29 January 2014 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
If you're looking for professional quality voice-acting, you can find plenty of it
(including Sherlock Holmes) at audible.de, but you'll have to pay.
1 person has voted this message useful

destinos
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3901 days ago

15 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 10 of 12
29 January 2014 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Ok Day 2 (though the day is not over.)

Time read 7 hours (though there were frequent and sometimes long breaks)
Time with German

Ok so today was much better than yesterday I was able to start early since classes
were cancelled for today which was a nice treat. I am immensely enjoying reading
Sherlock Holmes. That is just some fun reading though the language is a bit dated.
I am having some problems with Step 1 and 2 of the method though. Mainly because I
hate to stop the flow of reading to do them. Step one being to read the text in native
language before hand. Step 2 is to listen and read the text in the target language.
After about 2 hours of switching over to one and the other I quit and read in English
while listening to the German audio. Do you guys think that is a bad idea?
In order to get acquainted with writing German I am just going to scriptorium the text
in L2. That way I will have meaning to the audio. So that is what I will be doing once
I post this.
As for progress I am seeing some even now. I still struggle to follow along sometimes
when I lose my spot but I have noticed that I can find my spot because I know the word
in German usually it is "fenster" or something like that but it helps me find my spot.
also during one of my frequent breaks I decided to watch a trailer in Deutsch and
though I could not understand all I did catch some words that helped me to get some of
the trailer I know that this is small but it made me feel great about this method. (I
was even able to laugh at one of the jokes.)
I want to write so much more but this is already alot so until the next update.
ohh also if you see a z where the y should be it is because i changed my keyboard to
the German one and though the main thing that changed was the z and y

Edited by destinos on 29 January 2014 at 11:10pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4630 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 11 of 12
29 January 2014 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
This problem occurred to me as well, so I figured why not. You can still read in English
while listening in the TL, then do both in TL, and then do reading in English while
listening in the TL again, and I don't think you lose anything (except maybe time if you
would read much faster than the audiobook, but that's usually not the case for me.

destinos
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3901 days ago

15 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 12 of 12
31 January 2014 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Ok Day 3
Time read 7+

Ok so I could get the energy to post last night because I stayed up to 1 reading.
However I feel like LR is more fun than studying. With saying that I have a problem
reading ahead (like way ahead) of the audiobook and when I get into the book I get
tired of that so last night I started with a audiobook but after like chapter 15 I just
started reading without it because I love reading. Another Thing I have a problem with
is reading the book once again. See this problem is the worst of all because I think
that is essential to the method.
This may be why I am not seeing a lot of progress. Has anyone reading saw any progress?
What is your method?
On the bright side I went on sharedtalk and wrote with a German there. He was 50. He
told me that my German was outdated hahaha I guess that what can be expected from
Sherlock Holmes. He also could not believe the method.
I do not believe using just LR works. I am noticing the words that I studied before are
the only words sticking
If anyone knows a possible way to fix this. I am all ears.
this may be because I stopped reading in L2

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version