Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5276 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 1
31 January 2014 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
I know that some of you are planning to participate in the Super Challenge which starts in May, and I would like to give you some advice as to how to prepare for it.

You cannot start the actual challenge until May, but that does not mean that there is nothing you can do to improve your chances – and even more importantly – your learning! In my zone the 6WC starts in less than half an hour, and this is an amazing challenge that you can use not only as a goal in itself, and a fantastic tool to improve your languages, but you can also use it to prepare for the Super Challenge.
Some of you would like to start reading and watching more films now, and not wait for May – and all I can say is go for it! You cannot count it for the Super Challenge, but you can count it for the 6WC, and then you can simply read or watch it again in May, spending less time on it, and benefiting more from it. Particularly if you are an A1 - A2, spending time on looking up difficult words can be a must, and when you have looked up many of the words the first time, when you reread it in May or June, it will be a breeze! Remember that for the Super Challenge you can read the same books again, or watch the same movies again, and that is not cheating. On the contrary. In the Super Challenge you are not competing with anyone else – just with yourself. Whether you chose to read a Steven King book translated into your target language 50 times over, or you read 50 different books among the greatest literary masterpieces of the world, is entirely up to you. Personally I have watched letters to Juliet in Russian 5 times, and I am sure I will see it another 5 times, and each time I will understand a little more.

So enjoy the 6WC, and if you intend to take part in the Super Challenge you may either read grammar books or textbooks in order to get your language to a high enough level to be able to start to read, or you may start already now to read or watch books or movies in order to be able to read them faster or understand more when you start in May.

Oh, and any other suggestions on how to prepare for the Super Challenge, either through the 6WC or other methods, are most welcome :-)

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version