United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5652 days ago

28 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 7
10 February 2014 at 10:28am | IP Logged 
Hello again,

In the past I have made various goals for my language learning, written a post on this forum about it and then
promptly failed to keep up with my goal or my postings. So this spring I am doing something different. I have no
special goal aside from successfully finishing my semester. I know I will keep this goal :-). I am a student of French
in San Francisco and am carrying 5 three hour courses, 4 of which are in French. The other class is A.S.L., as a fun
way of satisfying a obscure cultural awareness graduation requirement. I will be updating this as a way of seeing
how far along I get in reading and my improvement. I will post links to what I am reading when I can, along with a
very brief appraisal of my progress in each. Nearly all the material will of course be in French, with a few
supplemental materials here and there in English. This is my last semester studying French in an American
collegiate setting. I won't be graduating come May but if all goes as planned I will be leaving for Paris in the fall to
complete the last two semesters and will graduate in Spring 15. So here is my first journal entry.

Tonight's reading:
French - From
Dialect to Standard by R. Anthony Lodge
pp.1-22 (English)
I really like this book. Learning a lot.

Edited by JohnPaul on 10 February 2014 at 6:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5333 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 2 of 7
10 February 2014 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Hello fellow San Franciscan! It's a great city for French if you can't be in France or Quebec. Good luck with
your studies and your upcoming year abroad! I went in '09-'10 then went back in '11-'12 as an English
language assistant.
2 persons have voted this message useful

JohnPaul
Diglot
Joined 5652 days ago

28 posts - 63 votes 

Message 3 of 7
11 February 2014 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
Hello sctroyenne, I like your forum handle. Clever phonetic play. Speaking of phonetics that was tonight's theme.
Yes, San Francisco is a great city for French if you can't be "sur place." There is a strong francophone presence here
and we're lucky for it. Perhaps the only place with more would be New York. I applied for the TAPIF, we'll see if I get
it.

Tonight's reading:
Savoir dire - cours de phonétique et de prononciation pp.2-28 (Français)
I really am enjoying this book and the exercises, though they take much longer than one might expect.

Total pages read this semester en français: 26

Edited by JohnPaul on 11 February 2014 at 11:47am

JohnPaul
Diglot
Joined 5652 days ago

28 posts - 63 votes 

Message 4 of 7
12 February 2014 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
More English reading about French today. I like the book but it's getting a bit dry. Tomorrow is going to be a big
reading day. I hope. I also spent half an hour reviewing my phonetics from yesterday.

French - From
dialect to standard
pp.23-56 (English)

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5474 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 7
12 February 2014 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your French classes!

I definitely found that doing lots of reading in French made a huge difference for me. After reading 500 pages I could more-or-less read (with dodgy comprehension), after 2,500 pages things got a lot easier, and after 8,000 pages I could read 40 pages/hour with an unknown word or so per page.

Later this year we'll be starting another Super Challenge, and if you're like to do a lot of reading, you're invited to sign up. :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
Joined 5333 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 6 of 7
12 February 2014 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
I enjoyed my phonetics course though I didn't work on the prononciation as much as I
would have liked so I was focusing more on phonetic transcriptions for the tests. But I
still have the book and can practice whenever I want.

Good luck for getting accepted by TAPIF! Am I right to assume you're doing CSU's Paris
program plus TAPIF within the Paris region?

JohnPaul
Diglot
Joined 5652 days ago

28 posts - 63 votes 

Message 7 of 7
20 February 2014 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
Well its been a week since I last posted but I have not given up on this logbook. I work weekends and thus it can be
hard to keep up with school work. This weekend's work seemed to really take it out of me. I have had trouble
recovering from the fatigue but now I'm back, not back with much to post about, but I'm back. Here is today's tally
of reading in French. Both selections are very short but were accompanied by exercises and response questions to
do making the reading a bit more full of vitamins. I am terribly behind in my reading for the semester but the GF is
leaving for a few days so I hope to capitalize on that. Tomorrow morning I will hopefully get a good start on a
famous novella. Details forthcoming.

Savoire Dire pp.38-42

La civilisation française en évolution pp.17-19
This book is a bit odd. It is a history book that is written out of sequence. Can't blame the French because the
author is clearly an anglophone.

Total en français aujourd'hui: 8

Total en français pour le semestre: 34

Edited by JohnPaul on 20 February 2014 at 11:58am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version