Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3949 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 1 of 1
10 February 2014 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
The pull of Finnish is too great. I want to make a return to it but no TAC this time. I
want to take my time with it. If you remember I was suspending Finnish to learn Spanish
but I didn't get very far with Spanish. It's not a language I really like so I didn't
get very far with it.

I miss Finnish so I want to restart (not as if I got that far with it in the first
place). I still remember what I learned before I stopped (greetings, numbers, days of
the week, conjugation of verbs in present tense, personal pronouns, the genitive and
locative lla-llä)

Also the reason why I'm calling the log Frennish, is because I also want to start with
French! This Romance beauty has been on my radar for years but I was (and still am)
intimidated by this behemoth. You'd think that would be case with Finnish what with 15
cases and all but French pronunciation is sure to kick my ass way worse than the
partitive possibly could.

Now in order to try and keep all three of my languages at a manageable level. I've got
specific goals with Finnish and French. With French, for a month or so, I don't plan on
learning a word. Not one word that I don't already know. Instead I'm opting for pure
listening. I want to focus on the sounds of French and training the ear for the
language. I'll be using News in Slow French for this endeavor.

With Finnish I want to focus on grammar and vocabulary since that's the hardest part
(IHMO). I'll be utilising the Uusi
Kielemme
site. Also I've created a false immersion enviornment with my computer,
as I've put it all in Finnish. In the past, I've found that this technique works for me
with vocabulary since for some reason, I tend to remember vocabulary better when I've
learned it in context.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version