616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 33 of 53
28 March 2010 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Johntm wrote:
cordelia0507 wrote:

But trust me, if you are not a native English speaker, the King James bible is very inaccessible. Nowadays I get it, but a few years ago it was hopeless.

It's quite a challenge for us native speakers, too. Not that it's overly hard to comprehend, just the wording is so odd (I know once upon a time it was normal)

But it's probably the most beautiful and poetic English text I know about. Whoever did that translation was a true master of English.

I know that there are a fair number of Christians in the US who hold the view that it's the only legit translation of the Bible into English for some complicated reasons relating to what source material was used (although most likely they are simply very conservative). But that seems very strange to me and I simply appreciate it for what it is. I was really impressed to see how many differerent translations actually exist in English. I think in Sweden there are only two in use.. Maybe one more that I might not know about.
Yes, that version of English can sound quite nice.

I think it'd be cool to learn the languages that the original manuscripts and letters of the Bible were written in, then find a Bible with each book in it's original language (if there is one) and read it. That'd be better than any translation, IMO.
1 person has voted this message useful

didaskolos
United States
Joined 6776 days ago

10 posts - 46 votes
Studies: German, Ancient Greek, Modern Hebrew, Sign Language, Mandarin

Message 34 of 53
31 March 2010 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Johntm wrote:

I think it'd be cool to learn the languages that the original manuscripts and letters of the Bible were written in, then find a Bible with each book in it's original language (if there is one) and read it. That'd be better than any translation, IMO.

Here are a few published volumes available from Amazon or other online booksellers. I've added a bit of the Amazon info blurbs under each title.

This one contains the BHS Hebrew OT and the NA27 Greek NT.
"Biblia Sacra Utriusque Testamenti Editio Hebraica Et Graeca"
    * Hardcover: 2384 pages
    * Publisher: Hendrickson Publishers; Bilingual edition (August 2006)
    * ISBN-10: 1598561790
    * ISBN-13: 978-1598561791

This one contains the Greek translation of the Hebrew OT plus the deuterocanonical books.
"Septuagint" edited by Rahlfs
    * Hardcover: 941 pages
    * Publisher: Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft (August 2006)
    * ISBN-10: 1598561804
    * ISBN-13: 978-1598561807

This one contains the Syriac version of the Bible. I'm not 100% sure that this is the same as the Peshitta version.
Hardcover
Publisher: American Bible Society (September 2005)
Language: Syriac
ISBN-10: 090018552X
ISBN-13: 978-0900185526

I think that the general view which is commonly held is that most of the OT was written in Hebrew (except for a few Aramaic sections), the deuterocanonical books were written in Greek, and the NT in Greek. While there has been some debate about possible Aramaic or Hebrew originals of Matthew and Mark or other books, my sense of things is that the commonly held view is that these books probably relied on Aramaic or Hebrew oral or written sources in some places but were written in Greek.

There is an out-of-the-mainstream view which holds that the Peshitta version of the NT was the original and that the Greek is a translation from that. While this view is not commonly held, it is quite possible that the Peshitta might in some verses reflect some original Aramaic sayings and teachings better than Greek.

If you are considering starting to learn these languages, here is a link to a thread I posted in about my experiences in learning Greek.
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=18976&PN=1&TPN=1#211035

If you are thinking about learning any of these languages, I'd strongly recommend using some variation of a Listening-Reading method with a grammar book as a supporting aid. As a warning, many of the Biblical Greek and Hebrew textbooks I've seen focus more on memorizing paradigms and vocabulary rather than learning to read. Dr. Arguelles has posted many useful articles about language learning on this forum, his web site (www.foreignlanguageexpertise.com), and youtube (as user ProfAsAr). There are also a number of other people who have posted some very good advice on language learning on this site. It is a result of those people's shared wisdom that I have been able to make successful progress. I'd strongly recommend going through some of these materials to help guide you into a good learning method before starting. The bottom line, consistent daily effort combined with an effective method will yield results.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5356 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 35 of 53
31 March 2010 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
Wow thanks didaskolos, I guess I'll have to get to all those languages eventually.
Ah well, more languages goals to achieve before I die!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Al-Irelandi
United Kingdom
Joined 5469 days ago

111 posts - 177 votes 

Message 36 of 53
31 March 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
al-Irlandee wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
human languages were not created.

Is this proven somewhere?

It can't be. It goes beyond recorded history. But it only makes sense (you don't have to take my word for it and you are free to present a different hypothesis) that as humans' brain capacity increased, a more and more intricate method of communication developed over time, likely over a looong time. Somewhere, we went from no language ability to complex language ability. It had to be gradual.

This is something that confuses even Anthropologists. Some challenge them saying that the chances that languages evolved out of primate grunts and bellows, is akin to a computer evolving from silicon and plastic and by chance merging together and forming a '1995 spec' Intel Pentium based PC with 16MB of RAM and a 500MB hard-drive and a dual-speed CD-ROM drive, all over the course of 30 thousand years.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5315 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 37 of 53
31 March 2010 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Al-Irelandi wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
al-Irlandee wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
human languages were not created.

Is this proven somewhere?

It can't be. It goes beyond recorded history. But it only makes sense (you don't have to take my word for it and you are free to present a different hypothesis) that as humans' brain capacity increased, a more and more intricate method of communication developed over time, likely over a looong time. Somewhere, we went from no language ability to complex language ability. It had to be gradual.

This is something that confuses even Anthropologists. Some challenge them saying that the chances that languages evolved out of primate grunts and bellows, is akin to a computer evolving from silicon and plastic and by chance merging together and forming a '1995 spec' Intel Pentium based PC with 16MB of RAM and a 500MB hard-drive and a dual-speed CD-ROM drive, all over the course of 30 thousand years.

What? Sorry, but you can't compare human linguistic evolution to plastic pieces poofing themselves into a computer.

Edited by Arekkusu on 31 March 2010 at 6:41pm

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 38 of 53
31 March 2010 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

What? Sorry, but you can't compare human linguistic evolution to plastic pieces poofing themselves into a computer.

I happen to agree with you, but why not? Your assertion is as unsubstantiated as his. If you're going to bother telling someone they are wrong, at least tell them why.

Al-Irelandi: In fact, the computer is a result of a long-term evolutionary-style process of increasing complexity of calculating machines made by humans. Consider the simple calculator and the abacus before it. Both language and computers are products of human ingenuity and equating their development with random molecular interaction is fallacious.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5315 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 39 of 53
31 March 2010 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
dmaddock1 wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:

I happen to agree with you, but why not? Your assertion is as unsubstantiated as his. If you're going to bother telling someone they are wrong, at least tell them why.

His claim is that gradual changes are extremely unlikely to amount to anything over a substantial amount of time. I don't consider that a viable rebuttal of any kind.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 40 of 53
31 March 2010 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
didaskolos wrote:

If you are considering starting to learn these languages, here is a link to a thread I posted in about my experiences in learning Greek.
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=18976&PN=1&TPN=1#211035

Interesting thoughts didaskolos. I sampled a bunch of different audio sources online and only found a few that seemed to me to have a natural rhythm. Also, the variation in pronunciation is a nightmare for beginning students. I was really excited to find Stephen Daitz's recordings but the pitch accents are just bizarre. Is the market for original language audio outside of religious texts so small that no one else has bothered to record Homer with an Erasmian pronunciation? Have you been able to find suitable audio for Greek L-R outside of the GNT?

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version