Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6495 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 449 of 559
31 May 2013 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
yuhakko, the "uncertainness" was my guess as well but it doesn't always work that way. For example, I think I saw an example in my grammar book saying something like "Don't forget to do something when you wash clothes" and it contained the ㄹ 때 construction. And it doesn't help that TTMIK never did a lesson on that. If they had, I'm sure they would have explained everything properly.

Well, I finished watching Winter. I have too many thoughts to write them all out. Some of the later parts dragged and some of the final resolution was pretty bad writing (IMO), but overall the good moments were more than the bad ones. In particular, the payoff when everyone found out he wasn't the real brother was pretty satisfying, and I also liked that the company wasn't a major part of the plot and that the fiance didn't turn out to be that evil.

Since I was watching the drama, I didn't have a lot of time left over for studying but I've kept up with Anki. I have more than 1930 words in my deck already so the 2000 mark isn't far off.

I've kept reading HTSK (the "How to study Korean" website), more out of curiosity than anything else. I'm up to lesson 7 now and I have to say the material there is so dense it would probably have sent me running away from Korean if I had started with it. Lesson 6 covered the three verb tenses for all politeness levels and lesson 7 covers all the verb irregularities. I think it's much too much so early in the course. Oh and the "diary" writing style was introduced even earlier. But what really surprised me the most was that the author introduced the -겠- form as the basic future tense. I went back to the TTMIK lesson about this suffix and it says that it can be a formal alternative to 'ㄹ게요', not to 'ㄹ 거예요'.

I also wrote some sentences. They are easier this time so not a lot of corrections were necessary:

11) 네 텔레비전은 진짜 크구나. - Your TV is really big.
12) 방 청소한 후에 뭐 할까요? - I wonder what to do after cleaning my room.
13) 여름에 일한 적 없어요. - I've never worked during summer.
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6495 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 450 of 559
02 June 2013 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
I'll start with news about Finnish this time. I finished chapter 7 of my book (Suomea Suomeksi) and started chapter 8. So far I've reviewed the most common noun cases and now chapter 8 finally starts tackling verbs seriously. I'm looking forward to that. Of course I saw a lot of verb conjugations in my other grammar book but they didn't stick very well. I'm also learning some new words, for example hirveän (terribly).

I haven't read any articles in Finnish recently but I've listened to the radio sometimes. As I wrote before, the Korean radio stations are unreliable on my phone.

A year ago and even half a year ago I spent a lot of time listening to the TTMIK lessons. Now I barely do that. I think it's because I don't consider it an efficient use of my time anymore. If I want to review a particular grammar point, it's much faster to just open the PDF.

This weekend I worked on my sentence deck (again) and I started reading Elementary Korean for the third time. I didn't get farther than chapter 2 before because it was too difficult for me but now I want to read through it. I doubt it contains any grammar constructions that I don't know yet but it definitely contains useful usage notes and vocabulary. Chapter 4 contained all the pronunciation quirks and there was one I had never read before: "When ㄹ is followed by ㄷ, ㅈ, or ㅅ (in the next syllable) in words borrowed from Chinese, the 'l' has the effect of doubling these to ㄸ, ㅉ, and ㅆ." I remembered a word I had recently learned, 일정, and checked out its pronunciation in the dictionary, and sure enough, the 'j' was doubled. Amazing. I guess they usually don't include this rule in beginner textbooks because beginners don't have any idea which words are borrowed from Chinese.

The same chapter also mentioned that Korean vowels can be short or long. For example, 일 (day) is short, but 일 (work) is long. I don't know, I have never noticed a difference but there must be some truth to it if the book says so.

The major drawback of this book is that it uses a non-standard spelling, for example, 갈 거에요. I must be careful not to let it mess up my spelling.

I also added 30 or so new words to Anki - from EK and other sources.

As for dramas, I'm keeping up with LSS but I'm waiting for subtitles to come out because I don't want to watch it twice. I only watch a bit from the beginning of Saturday's episode to find out how the cliffhanger is resolved. I also tried to watch some more of Queen of Office but I didn't like it, that kind of comedy is not for me. So I started watching Prosecutor Princess and this one seems much better even though I don't particularly care for the romance. The main heroine is so unique (and smart), I can just watch the show for her alone.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6495 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 451 of 559
03 June 2013 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
My sentence deck got its first 5-star review on Ankiweb! Yes! It's great to get that kind of recognition for my work.

Can you believe that I just now found out that the word '웬일' exists? I had heard it many times in dramas and sometimes I wondered about the question word before '일' but then I quickly forgot about it again. Well... This word doesn't even belong to Anki because I already know it very well but I still added it for completeness's sake.

Speaking of vocabulary, I got another mild shock when I saw the word '집사람' (house person) and found out that it means 'wife'. That is so... discriminating! I wonder if this word is widely used nowadays; Koreans do have other words for 'wife'.

I read a bit of EK this evening and I can't get over the fact that one of the first words they introduced was "cigarettes" and there were at least five sample sentences with this word. Aren't we living in the 21st century now? Doesn't everyone know how bad smoking is for their health? It almost makes me want to drop the textbook.

Okay, here's a bit of better news. I hadn't listened to the Iyagi podcasts for a while but I did it today and I could feel an improvement in my understanding compared to a couple months ago. It's encouraging. I think it's mostly due to two things - solidifying my basic grammar while working on the sentence deck and watching more Korean TV and trying to listen to it actively.

As for the June challenge - Renate said it would be something about reading but she hasn't posted it yet so I don't know. I don't have any idea what I could read.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 452 of 559
04 June 2013 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
I'm also learning some new words, for example hirveän (terribly).
The basic form is hirveä (adjective). It's a nice structure with an adjective in the genitive preceding an adverb or another adjective: hirveän paljon, ihanan nuori etc.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6495 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 453 of 559
07 June 2013 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
I'm still working on my Korean grammar. I'm reviewing TTMIK level 3 while adding it to my sentence deck, I'm reviewing grammar while going through EK and I'm reviewing grammar while going through HTSK. I'm also trying to get familiar with some of the intermediate grammar constructions using my intermediate grammar book but I'm not studying them seriously (except the ones that come up on TTMIK, like -느라고).

My vocabulary study is coming along well as well, I'm almost at 2000 words.

Here's one observation that I've made from watching dramas. When Koreans want to say "What are you doing?" they often say "뭐 하는 거예요?" instead of "뭐 해요?" and it's puzzling to me. It's like they are saying "This thing that you are doing, what is it?" It just seems unnecessary long. But anyway, I'm used to it now.

Oh, I also read a couple of Easy News articles in Finnish with the help of Google Translate, and they seemed quite easy. Not the vocabulary but the grammar. I should do it more often. If I learn the political vocabulary I'll be able to understand the news on the radio better.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4811 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 454 of 559
07 June 2013 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:

Here's one observation that I've made from watching dramas. When Koreans want to say "What are you doing?" they often say "뭐 하는 거예요?" instead of "뭐 해요?" and it's puzzling to me. It's like they are saying "This thing that you are doing, what is it?" It just seems unnecessary long. But anyway, I'm used to it now.

I was surprised about this, too. But I guess the -는 is just a way to emphasise the present continuous aspect of the question, something like "What are you doing right now?" and similar to "뭐 하고 있어요?"

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5478 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 455 of 559
08 June 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Evita wrote:
Speaking of vocabulary, I got another mild shock when I saw the word '집사람' (house person) and found out that it means 'wife'. That is so... discriminating! I wonder if this word is widely used nowadays; Koreans do have other words for 'wife'.

I have seen this word (starting fairly early in my studies) so it is definitely still in use, however terms like 아내, 부인, 마누리, and 와이프 seem far more common now.

Quote:
I read a bit of EK this evening and I can't get over the fact that one of the first words they introduced was "cigarettes" and there were at least five sample sentences with this word. Aren't we living in the 21st century now? Doesn't everyone know how bad smoking is for their health? It almost makes me want to drop the textbook.

I don't think that is just due to old material, like with some language materials, though. I've seen/heard the word 담배 countless times in modern Korean media (much more than I expected to see originally). Now granted many of those occurrences have been in anti-smoking PSAs, but there have been just as many or more occurrences outside that scenario.

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 6141 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 456 of 559
09 June 2013 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
There's a lot of smoking in Korea and cigarette signs outside of every convenience store. It's actually a handy vocab word for studying Korean, because you usually learn the verbs 피우다 and 끊다 for free, along with 담배, and then you can use them in other contexts as well. So 담배 is a useful word, but I think it should be taught along with 흡연 and 금연, because they are used just as often in any discussion about smoking. I can never remember 흡연 and had to look it up just now, so it's better to learn it right along with 담배.

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version