Diglot
Germany
Joined 4307 days ago

39 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 217 of 457
28 January 2013 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Interesting introduction, iawia. You must have some mad organisation skills;)

I do not know many Chinese guys who are interested in learning Thai, so I am glad to see someone who is. Usually, they just like to spend their holidays there.

"A friend once asked me why would anyone want to learn Thai."

You know what? I get this a lot. I am hanging out somewhere, a girl comes up to me, asks about my interests and I tell her about my Chinese studies. 7 out of 10 times I get this really confused reaction, with people asking why the hell anyone would study Chinese. Yeah, Chinese!. Sometimes they even wonder whether or not you can actually study Chinese at University. I am just left speechless in these situations. Too bad I actually have to tell people I am half Taiwanese, otherwise I could simply say I am some sort of heritage learner.

By the way, I wanted to make you aware that we normally say "I'm a university
student now" instead of "I'm an university student now." I do not know why this is, the former just sounds right to me while the latter sounds weird.

Edited by BloodyChinese on 28 January 2013 at 1:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4621 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 218 of 457
28 January 2013 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
BloodyChinese wrote:
By the way, I wanted to make you aware that we normally say "I'm a university
student now" instead of "I'm an university student now." I do not know why this is, the former just sounds right to me while the latter sounds weird.

Because "university" starts with a consonantal sound, /j/. "an" is the article used before vocalic sounds, as in "umbrella". It's not a matter of the letter written, but the sound pronounced.

BloodyChinese
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4307 days ago

39 posts - 61 votes 

Message 219 of 457
28 January 2013 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
See, that's the perk of learning a secondary language. You actually might know what you are talking about and can explain it to people when necessary :P

I have a Chinese professor at University whose German is beyond amazing. It feels humiliating to get taught about German history, culture and language by a Chinese guy. But then again, he's someone who gets up at 4 a.m. in the morning, does 200 pushups while reading a Chinese classic and then jogs through the forest reciting Goethe to himself. All before he arrives at our class at 8 a.m. Quite the unique lad.

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4767 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 220 of 457
28 January 2013 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
iawia, thank you so much for your comments, they were very helpful.

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4463 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 221 of 457
28 January 2013 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
BloodyChinese wrote:

I have a Chinese professor at University whose German is beyond amazing. It feels humiliating to get taught about
German history, culture and language by a Chinese guy. But then again, he's someone who gets up at 4 a.m. in the
morning, does 200 pushups while reading a Chinese classic and then jogs through the forest reciting Goethe to
himself. All before he arrives at our class at 8 a.m. Quite the unique lad.

So this is the key to becoming fluent!

BloodyChinese
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4307 days ago

39 posts - 61 votes 

Message 222 of 457
28 January 2013 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
js6426 wrote:
BloodyChinese wrote:

I have a Chinese professor at University whose German is beyond amazing. It feels humiliating to get taught about
German history, culture and language by a Chinese guy. But then again, he's someone who gets up at 4 a.m. in the
morning, does 200 pushups while reading a Chinese classic and then jogs through the forest reciting Goethe to
himself. All before he arrives at our class at 8 a.m. Quite the unique lad.

So this is the key to becoming fluent!

Yeah, exactly :P

I imagine he trains like this every morning at 4 a.m.:

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow

If you were to learn a language like that, you'd become fluent in no time :P

Edited by BloodyChinese on 28 January 2013 at 3:38pm

Vegemighty
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4431 days ago

45 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 223 of 457
28 January 2013 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
你们好!
我想给你们介绍介绍。我是一名外国教师。我 现在住在中国。我在成都待了六个月了。
我觉得中文难急了。我的爱好是玩游戏和旅行 。我的微薄是                                                                             烤美洲候
我有时候上QQ:1754218378

3 persons have voted this message useful

Hidden Linguist
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4302 days ago

64 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Sign Language, French

Message 224 of 457
28 January 2013 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Ok, this post should make vermillon happy... ;)

At some point over the next couple of days I'm going to be making a recording of myself attempting to speak Mandarin.

I'm only going to be speaking a little in Mandarin, but it will be more than I posted for my written introduction.

This is going to be challenging for me, not just because of my bad Mandarin and pronunciation, but also because of my nerves (and the fact that I hate being recorded). I'm also going to have to work up the courage to actually post the recording. In fact, part of the reason that I'm making this post in the first place is so that I'm essentially 'committed' to making the recording and posting it up...otherwise I'd probably just keep putting it off, or wimp out completely. O.o

I doubt that I'll have the guts to post a video, so it will probably be audio only.

I'm not sure how to upload an audio file. I see that some of you have used soundcloud. Is that easy enough to use?

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version