learnlatvian.info
Joined 6495 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 57 of 457
19 December 2012 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Here's my list of Korean resources for the first page:

Talk To Me In Korean - undisputedly the best website to learn Korean from. They have 235 grammar lessons as podcasts and each lesson also has an accompanying PDF file. For intermediate learners, they have the Iyagi podcast series where they talk about various subjects in Korean but slower than in real life, and they provide full transcripts of these conversations. They also have lots of other stuff, too much to describe it all here.

Korean Wiki Project - a good place to learn Hangeul, also has a ton of grammar.

Click Korean - 20 beginner lessons on the Seoul National University's website. Include vocabulary, grammar, listening and reading practice, various exercises. Very good.

Sogang Korean Program - another set of lessons for beginners by a Korean university.

My Korean - two textbooks with accompanying audio by the Monash University, available for free on their website. Recommended.

Korean verb conjugator - very useful and reliable

Online Intermediate College Korean - an excellent course for intermediate learners.

Korean Language Adventure - looks like a good resource for intermediate learners but registration is required.

KoreanClass101.com - I hear it's a bit similar to TTMIK but it requires registration.

Korean Grammar Database - contains lots of grammar but the example sentences may have some mistakes

Korean Flashcards - might be useful, not sure

Naver dictionary - Naver is a really big website for Koreans but this link is to the English - Korean dictionary (both directions).

Daum dictionary - similar to the Naver dictionary

More links available here
8 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4621 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 58 of 457
20 December 2012 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Thanks Evita! That's certainly going to come very handy!
1 person has voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4463 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 59 of 457
20 December 2012 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
Here is a link to my language log thread http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?
TID=34645&PN=1&TPN=1

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4811 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 60 of 457
20 December 2012 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
Study Resources

Thanks for the links! I updated the second post with BloodyChinese and Evita's recommendations. Feel free to add more, everyone! I'll add some recommendations as well, soon.

Team Name Poll

Voilá: Please Vote Here
Make sure to vote before the new year. I'll make the name official on December 31.

Number of Members

We have now reached the limit of 15 members, but Brun_Ugle has left it to the teams to decide if they want to stick to the limit. For now I have asked her to open a new group for people interested in Asian languages, because I wanted to discuss this with you first. If the new team has less than 6 members they will be added to our team, so our real limit is 20. Do you agree with the limit or would you like a bigger team?

Edited by druckfehler on 20 December 2012 at 11:40am

BloodyChinese
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4307 days ago

39 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 61 of 457
20 December 2012 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
@Team Name
Thanks for setting up a poll. Even though a name isn't that important, I still think that either Team Aurora or Team Nine-Tailed Fox is preferable to "Asian Team", simply because very few if any members here are Asian to begin with and secondly, Asia includes a wide array of languages and not just Chinese dialects, Korean and Japanese, which are the three languages people study here. So we could either settle for a name that hints at the East Asian focus we have or something that connects China, Korea and Japan together.

Edited by BloodyChinese on 20 December 2012 at 12:59pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4811 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 62 of 457
20 December 2012 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
We could change Asian to East Asian. I think the reason this team started as "Asian" was that it wasn't clear if we'd have participants studying South-East Asian languages.

BloodyChinese
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4307 days ago

39 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 63 of 457
20 December 2012 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
That is kind of curious though. I always really liked the sound of Sanskrit and as I was browsing this forum, I noticed that very few people are actually studying either Sanskrit or any modern Indian language. Neither could I find many people studying SE Asian languages. Hell of a lot Mandarin and Japanese though- basically East Asia all the way.

Maybe this is due the fact that you can get by in large parts of India with just English, contrary to China or Taiwan. Then again, South Asian culture is so much more interesting than Chinese culture(coming from a half-Chinese guy)

Edited by BloodyChinese on 20 December 2012 at 1:46pm

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4575 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 64 of 457
20 December 2012 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
I actually still prefer the "Asian Team" name. I will most certainly start indonesian
around february or so, so we wouldn't be just East Asian anymore. Furthermore the fact
that we're not all Asian (mostly non-Asian among us I guess), is not related to the name.
It could be thought as if the name was "Asian ((languages)) Team".

Well, now, you know my point of view! :) But anyway, if the name were to be something
else, I wouldn't mind much. It's just a preference I have.

No connection with what I just wrote but Thanks Evita! I love the links. I actually knew
most of those but those I didn't might be of a big help!

This discussion contains 457 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version