Joined 4848 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English
Studies: Italian

Message 17 of 37
14 June 2011 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Anna_Russia wrote:

принадлежности или что-то в этом роде...другие европейские языки, например для испанца,
выучить легче чем русский

Смотря какие. Финский или баскский вряд ли.

ну у них там латинский алфавит у всех и больше возможностей свободно перемещаться из
страны в страну и изучать языки...
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4991 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 18 of 37
14 June 2011 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
Анна, вам латинский алфавит какие-то затруднения создал при изучении других языков?
Надоело уже читать, что русский сложный, потому что у него алфавит другой. В английском
латинский алфавит, но незнакомое слово прочитать всё равно нельзя.

Anna_Russia
Russian Federation
Joined 4848 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: English
Studies: Italian

Message 19 of 37
14 June 2011 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
Дорогой Марк, про то что русский язык сложный из-за другого алфавита я ни разу не
написала. Я хотела поддержать Вашу тему. Не хотите-не читайте, потому что больше читать
будет нечего.
Всех благ!

Mrs. Dalloway
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4904 days ago

70 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, Russian
Studies: GermanA2, French, Danish

Message 20 of 37
14 June 2011 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Is Italian spelling simpler than Russian?

Yes, I think Italian spelling is easier than Russian, because we actually read every word as it is written (once you've learned the main spelling rules, digrams and trigrams, I think there are veeeery few exceptions)

Марк wrote:
Mrs.Dalloway, can you spell the Russian words you hear correctly?

Your answer got me thinking. Actually, I can only spell the Russian words I KNOW correctly. While, in case I had to write an unknown word, I would have many chances of getting the spelling wrong.

Марк wrote:
Russian children spend many years at school learning spelling rules and exceptions, and people still make a lot of mistakes.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I even have some examples to refer to.
When I was at school, at the beginning of the year, I remember I had learnt to write компьютер через ь, and when my Russian teacher asked how it was spelled, my classmate couldn't answer. Or, yesterday, I received an e-mail where "к сожалению" was spelled as "к сожелению" as it is actually read.

So, yes, I think I was wrong when I said that Russian spelling is quite easy, I wasn't thinking about it as a whole. I guess it might even be easier to learn the spelling for each word (as in English, given the multitude of exceptions).

Many of my Russian classmates and friends claimed to know Russian poorly, due to its difficulty and vastness, and that's also the reason why I heard some people who are in favor of an easier spelling, to make it more approachable. I haven't made up my mind on that topic yet, though.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4991 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 21 of 37
14 June 2011 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Mrs. Dalloway wrote:
Марк wrote:
Is Italian spelling simpler than Russian?

Yes, I think Italian spelling is easier than Russian, because we actually read every
word as it is written (once you've learned the main spelling rules, digrams and
trigrams, I think there are veeeery few exceptions)

Марк wrote:
Mrs.Dalloway, can you spell the Russian words you hear correctly?

Your answer got me thinking. Actually, I can only spell the Russian words I KNOW
correctly. While, in case I had to write an unknown word, I would have many chances of
getting the spelling wrong.

Марк wrote:
Russian children spend many years at school learning spelling rules and
exceptions, and people still make a lot of mistakes.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I even have some examples to refer to.
When I was at school, at the beginning of the year, I remember I had learnt to write
компьютер через ь, and when my Russian teacher asked how it was spelled, my classmate
couldn't answer.

The soft sound in the word компьютер simply reflects the pronunciation, so there is
nothing to learn.

Mrs. Dalloway
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4904 days ago

70 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, Russian
Studies: GermanA2, French, Danish

Message 22 of 37
14 June 2011 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
I had been studying Russian and living in Russia for two months, I couldn't hear those little differences in pronunciation, as I still have some trouble with the hard and soft L, and so on. So, yes, at the time, I had learnt it.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4991 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 23 of 37
14 June 2011 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
There are a lot of jokes about foreigners, who do not know where to write a soft sign,
although it is obvious for native speakers.

unityandoutside
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5949 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin, Mandarin

Message 24 of 37
16 June 2011 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
I never thought that spelling was one of the more difficult aspects of Russian to
learn. Sure, there is a bit of ambiguity going from hearing to spelling because of
vowel reduction, but in comparison to many other languages (French, Danish, or English
just for starters) it's still a cakewalk. Even in those ambiguous situations it's
pretty simple to figure out the spelling if you know another word with the same stem,
and if you don't it's usually a straightforward choice between and a or o, и or е.
Other than that, the orthography could only be more straightforward if stresses were
marked. Then again, I don't like the appearance of stress marked Russian.

As for Cyrillic making the language "more difficult," I don't think it's really true.
It may scare off some learners, but once you get going it's the least of your worries.
At least there's a letter for every sound. I personally prefer it to having to learn
some heinously convoluted latinate system like learners of Polish have to.

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version