Diglot
United States
Joined 3477 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 9 of 17
12 June 2015 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
I also like drilling as the weapon against this problem. When I am starting a language I need to have a very high "drilling ratio". For example, to feel comfortable talking for 5 minutes in a beginning language (lets suppose that 10-20 short conversations during the week adds up to about 5 minutes of actual language use), I feel I need about 10 hours of drilling during the previous week. As I grow more accustomed to the language, I may only need 5 hours during the week.

By "drilling" I mean precisely to sit in a room or take a walk and listen to an audio recording filled with comprehensible sentences in the language, and then repeating or shadowing them in a louder-than-normal speaking voice. The sentences that you repeat must be comprehensible to you without any aid (i.e. you are not allowed to use a translation during the drilling). Furthermore, you must be able to hear yourself speaking when you say the sentences. This means, for example, if you use earphones to listen to your practice material, you must keep one ear free so that you can monitor yourself via the echo of your voice.

Finally, if you are using "listen and repeat"-style practice material, e.g. if the audio contains a "gap" where you are supposed to repeat after the speaker, then you must calculate your drilling time using a penalty factor. For example, if the audio recording lasts 30 minutes, and you perform this exercise twice daily, then you may be inclined to believe that you have drilled the language for 7 hours during the week, but in fact you have not. Because the audio recording has gaps, you have in fact only drilled for 3.5 hours. Therefore, to use such materials, you must perform such an exercise more often per day, or to switch to a non-gap type of material.

For this reason I prefer the "shadowing" approach recommended by Professor Arguelles. Use material that has no gaps in the audio, or even better, edit the material so that it contains no gaps. Drill with your 30-minute recordings 2-3 times per day if you want to achieve 10 hours of drilling time per week. It's just like exercising your muscles, where you run for xx hours per week to burn fat, build muscles, lung capacity, etc.

Edited by chaotic_thought on 12 June 2015 at 2:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

basica
Australia
Joined 3471 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 10 of 17
14 June 2015 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
I think that everyone has offered good advice here. I will just say that what mostly got me over my fear of
speaking was when I first tried learning a language seriously, it was esperanto - a language which
understandably has few native speakers thus pretty much everyone you speak with will be a learner like
yourself and it the majority of cases they will be beginners too (one out of say every ten esperanto speakers I
met were at a B1 or higher level). Knowing that we are all as terrible as each other made it easy to speak
because there was very little fear of judgement which for me was more of a concern than perfectionism - you
may have the opposite problem.

Thus, I recommend if you are really worried about speaking to a native speaker - try to find other language
learners to practice with. It will be a lot of fun and you're all in the same boat. Of course you don't want to do
this as your only means of speaking practice, but it will be something that I think will help you start off with a
lot less stress :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4642 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 11 of 17
14 June 2015 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
Rem wrote:
In my quest to conquer my speaking/listening demons I’m attempting the
italki
challenge. I've told myself that I'm not going to chicken out this time, but it
isn't easy to keep going.

So far I’m finding my nerves to be the main problem (I still have to take a deep
breath before forcing myself to click the ‘answer’ button on the call) and I can’t
seem to stop myself thinking that I'm making a fool of myself the entire time. I was
kicking myself after my last session; picking out every little mistake that I had made
and telling myself how useless I was and how badly I’d screwed up.

Obviously this is not a helpful frame of mind to be in and it needs to stop. I’ve been
trying to think of ways to combat this but if anyone else has any suggestions/advice
I’d really appreciate it. :)

My experience tells me that the previous advice is all good, but what helps is when
you bite the bullet and do it and then find, five minutes in, that it isn't as bad as
you thought it would be. Usually once you get into the flow, it isn't so bad. It's
basically like swimming in cool water - it sucks when you jump in, but once you're in
the water it isn't so bad.

And even the most advanced of us make mistakes! The other day
I confused the word μακρύς with μεγάλος (I actually meant to say ψηλός but I had
forgotten that word, so I tried to circumlocute with the first one). But έιμαι μακρύς
means your organ is very large! I was trying to say "tall", for those of you who don't
speak Greek (the Chinese are very short and I'm 1m 95 (~6'5") so this is a relevant
term for me to know because it's literally the first thing people notice).

OOOOOOOOOOOOPS. I laughed it off, but I certainly will never make that mistake in
Greek again!

Edited by tarvos on 14 June 2015 at 9:49am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5701 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 12 of 17
15 June 2015 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
My experience tells me that the previous advice is all good, but what helps is when
you bite the bullet and do it and then find, five minutes in, that it isn't as bad as
you thought it would be. Usually once you get into the flow, it isn't so bad. It's
basically like swimming in cool water - it sucks when you jump in, but once you're in

That's what I was talking about in my third strategy. Your body simply can't keep up being nervous all the time so sooner or later you'll calm down - it's faster when you were simply a bit nervous and once you get going all the things you've practiced fall into place; it takes quite a bit longer when you're suffering from anxiety and/or actually struggle with the skill.
As I suffer from anxiety it will take longer than five minutes and outside factors (like the other person also being nervous and showing it, or being overly critical) can make it last longer even. But that doesn't really matter, what does matter is that eventually the nervousness will subside, and if I repeat the interaction within the next couple of days I may still be a bit nervous but it won't last as long.
For reference, on good days it subsides in less than 20 minutes after which I do experience what you described. On bad days it may last an hour or more which leads to being exhausted and making more careless, basic mistakes than usually. I expect the OP to be somewhere between the two of us. But if I manage to do these things, she'll surely manage too. :)

Rem
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3692 days ago

66 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin, Czech, French

Message 13 of 17
15 June 2015 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks again everyone for all the responses. I tried not to make this post too long
but there is a lot of good information and advice from everyone here, so a bit of
length was unavoidable I think.

emk wrote:
Learning a language involves lots of mistakes: pronunciation mistakes,
grammar mistakes, word choice mistakes, and—the most memorable all—mistakes where you
accidentally say something hilarious and profane. So let's start with the most
entertaining mistakes. French speakers learning English will probably mix up "sheet"
and "shit" at some point. People learning Spanish famously say "I'm pregnant" when
they mean "I'm embarrassed." Romance speakers learning French will try to use the word
baiser for kiss, when it's normally a crude word for sexual intercourse. I once
mixed up baisser "to lower" with baiser, which was rather embarrassing.

This is one of the things that I worry about. I know that mistakes are inevitable (and
a necessary evil if I want to improve) but at the same time I don’t want to
accidentally say something wrong and end up offending someone unintentionally. The
rational side of me knows that most people would probably be understanding about it
and I’m just over thinking things I’m sure, but I can’t help it.

Bao wrote:

In a way my choice is between "Call somebody, talk (in English mostly), maybe we get
along and I find myself able to calm down (and gradually speak more in the target
language)" and "Don't call anybody". So choosing English as a crutch is legitimate,
you just need to challenge yourself to stop using it once you are a bit calmer.

This is pretty much what I’ve decided to do. I don’t like making phone calls anyway,
so just having Skype lessons is already out of my comfort zone...add in a foreign
language that I barely know on top of that and it seems like a recipe for disaster.

Fortunately I’ve found a tutor who is willing to talk for part of the lesson in
English. Knowing that English is an option seems to be helping me at least a little.
I’m still nervous but I am at least speaking during the lessons. Hopefully, as my
language skills improve, I’ll start feeling more comfortable and I’ll be able to
transition to speaking more of my target language during lessons.

Bao wrote:

The third strategy is to get yourself into a situation in which you have to use the
language and from which you can't escape. Sooner or later you'll calm down. It works.
It's also pretty hard. I for one can only do that in the target language country or
when a situation regularly occurs during classes or work (and I can't get out of it by
blushing and being nervous and somebody taking pity on me.)

This isn’t something that I have much chance to do right now. I can’t afford to travel
and I have no practical use for the languages that I’m learning. I only really get a
chance to speak in the (relatively safe) environment of my Uni classes, and with it
being summer I don’t even have those classes to focus me (which is part of the reason
that I decided to try italki again). I do have the opportunity to study abroad later
on in my course so maybe that will help, but it’s quite a way off and I’d like to at
least start to tackle this before then so that I can make the most of my time when I’m
there.
chaotic_thought wrote:
For this reason I prefer the "shadowing" approach recommended
by Professor Arguelles. Use material that has no gaps in the audio, or even better,
edit the material so that it contains no gaps. Drill with your 30-minute recordings 2-
3 times per day if you want to achieve 10 hours of drilling time per week. It's just
like exercising your muscles, where you run for xx hours per week to burn fat, build
muscles, lung capacity, etc.

I’ve never really tried shadowing. Maybe I should? I tend to focus on the
pronunciation of individual words/phrases as opposed to whole sentences which, now
that I think about it, is good for improving sounds but probably isn’t helping with
the overall fluency of my speech.

basica wrote:
Thus, I recommend if you are really worried about speaking to a native
speaker - try to find other language learners to practice with. It will be a lot of
fun and you're all in the same boat. Of course you don't want to do this as your only
means of speaking practice, but it will be something that I think will help you start
off with a lot less stress :)

Unfortunately I know very few people outside of my course (and this forum obviously)
who are learning the same languages as me and, as it’s summer and there are no
classes, they’ve gone home. This leaves me with the option of language exchanges,
which I don’t feel ready for yet. I’d rather stick to tutors as at least I can tell
myself that I’m paying them to put up with me. ;)

tarvos wrote:

This is what I’m hoping for.

I’ve tried italki lessons in the past...had one then stopped...had one then
stopped...ect. so I know already that the real challenge for me is going to be to keep
going.

So far this time I’ve managed to make it through a couple of italki lessons and,
although it’s still an effort for me to press ‘answer’ when the call comes in and I
have to force myself to speak during the lesson, I am doing it and making it
though the entire hour.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Rem
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3692 days ago

66 posts - 96 votes 
Studies: German, Mandarin, Czech, French

Message 14 of 17
15 June 2015 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:

As I suffer from anxiety it will take longer than five minutes and outside factors
(like the other person also being nervous and showing it, or being overly critical)
can make it last longer even. But that doesn't really matter, what does matter is that
eventually the nervousness will subside, and if I repeat the interaction within the
next couple of days I may still be a bit nervous but it won't last as long.
For reference, on good days it subsides in less than 20 minutes after which I do
experience what you described. On bad days it may last an hour or more which leads to
being exhausted and making more careless, basic mistakes than usually. I expect the OP
to be somewhere between the two of us. But if I manage to do these things, she'll
surely manage too. :)

You’re right that I probably fall somewhere in the middle here.

I think my problem is a mixture of perfectionism (wanting to get everything right even
when I know it’s just not possible to do so) and anxiety.

Right now I definitely need more than 5 minutes to get comfortable in a conversation,
and sometimes it feels exhausting forcing myself to keep going, but I can at least see
myself improving to a point where I could be more comfortable in the future.

So I guess the main thing that I should take away from all of this is that my
confidence does seem to be improving and I am getting better at speaking (even if
sometimes it doesn’t feel that way).

I’ve decided that one thing I’m going to start doing after every lesson is to write
down three things that I think went well. Maybe this will help me to see more of the
good points of my lessons, instead of focusing on the negatives all the time.

5 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5171 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 15 of 17
15 June 2015 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
One thing nobody seems to have mentioned is punishment! If you have a tutor who is willing to speak with you for 1 hour in your target language with zero English, pay them in advance for those lessons, and if you don't show up, they get to keep the money for that hour. And don't just pay them for one lesson pay them for a LOT of lessons! Same reasoning as a gym membership, they are going to take the money so you might as well go. If the tutor is charging you £20 per hour, then give them £200 and tell them if you don't show up for the 1 hour lesson, they keep the money.

This is known as loss aversion. In economics and decision theory, loss aversion refers to people's tendency to strongly prefer avoiding losses to acquiring gains. Some studies suggest losses are twice as powerful, psychologically, as gains. So while you might not be motivated to gain an hour of language practice, you'd be highly motivated to avoid the loss of £20 and not get anything in exchange.

If the carrot doesn't work, maybe the whip will.
2 persons have voted this message useful

basica
Australia
Joined 3471 days ago

157 posts - 269 votes 
Studies: Serbian

Message 16 of 17
16 June 2015 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
As someone who also has anxiety issues, I strongly recommend having some sort of action
plan set up just in case it's more of an anxiety issue for you than anything else.
Anxiety is sorta insidious in that way because it masks the true problem very well. By an
action plan I mean something along the lines of what others have said, organizing to have
regular meet ups and setting it up in a way that you'd hate to cancel more than you'd
hate to put up with going. In any case, best of luck!

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version